Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What leather jacket?

Bike
    GN125H 2015

What leather jacket?

Hi everyone! First post on the site!!

Im currently looking to buy a leather riding jacket and I dont have too much $$ to spend. Im tossing up between Cnell's jackets :https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...06f1b8c80e9cba and https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...06f1b8c80e9cba
    As well as 1Tonnes https://www.1tonne.co.nz/product/bro...jacket/29/101/ . Also, has anyone heard of Brixton riding jackets? https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...86e3e841abe3d4 ??

What do you think the best option would be?

Cheers
    Ride safe

Bike
    GN125H 2015
    Also, I just saw this https://www.rhinoleather.com.au/leat...dditional-info ($333 Inc. Shipping) Thoughts?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I have a $750 Alpinestars leather jacket and $200 1 Tonne leather pants. One has a lot of fancy labels. Both are decent gear.

I'd avoid any unknown brands off Trademe. For example buying direct off 1 Tonne I was able to swap out the trou as the first sizing was not the fit I wanted - good old fashioned customer service.

Check for features you desire - vents, protection, pockets etc.

Revit are a brand common in most Motorcycle shops - well priced and review well, so worth a look.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    +1 to avoiding the unknown brands.

I've got a Joe Rocket leather jacket and an RST 2-Piece for track days. Known brands, good quality stuff.

I've also got a couple of eBay specials which looked good and I do wear on occasion but you only have to put them on for a second and you realise very quickly that they might save your skin maybe once in a slow fall.. Kinda pointless and only $1-200 cheaper than a "brand-name" jacket from a local dealership.

As Allan said, go and check out your local dealers, see what they have in stock, what they can order, try some stuff on, and get what you feel is best for you.

It's lovely to save some money, especially when money is tight, but it's even nicer to save your skin, body, and life
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    GN125H 2015
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    I definitely agree with spending a little bit more for a safer-potentially life saving bit of gear 100%. I'll head into motomail this week to check out the Rjays aviator jacket ($400) has anyone tried one on or know anything about it e.g. quality? I'll also compare it to this https://finnmoto.com.au/mens-cafe-mo...eather-jacket/ leather jacket from finnmoto. The reveiws are good and the specs also look appealing (full grain leather- not sure what the Rjays one is made from) ($327 incl shipping to NZ).

Ride safe everyone!!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Whatever you buy, make sure it has CE-certified armour, and budget for a back protector.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob View Post
    Also, I just saw this https://www.rhinoleather.com.au/leat...dditional-info ($333 Inc. Shipping) Thoughts?
    If you want name brand keep an eye on tardme for second hand. Often very good value. I bought an armoured Dainese jacket a few years ago for like $200. Sold it as it was a tad too big.

I really rate the Triumph branded gear for value and features - haven't road tested it yet thankfully.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Whatever you buy, make sure it has CE-certified armour, and budget for a back protector.
    I have a back protector OP can have if he wants it and it fits - its spare, bought for my SO who doesn't "do" motorbikes any more - never used.

only gotcha is size is quite small. Happy to measure it.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I really rate the Triumph branded gear for value and features - haven't road tested it yet thankfully.
    A lot of Triumph's leather gear is Alpinestars.. Or at least, it used to be..
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Lookee here....

https://www.motocap.com.au/products/jackets

ps nod of the head to rastuscat on this one.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    GN125H 2015
    Thanks for the link!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Lookee here....

https://www.motocap.com.au/products/jackets

ps nod of the head to rastuscat on this one.
    Hmm, that's interesting. The only 5 star jacket so far is a Rjays.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    The Harley Davidson jacket gets ONE star for comfort and two for protection. A snip at $939 - twice the price of pretty much everything else in the survey!

Bike
    haven't yet
    As a motorcyclist, it worries be to see the line between actual riding gear and fashion accessories blur so much that it gets confusing like this. If i look on ebay for a motorcycling jacket, i find hundreds of fashion jackets that are not riding jackets at all. This is always something i've been bothered by about the moto-jacket trend, because frankly all the moto style fashion jackets aren't even real padded motorcycle jackets. They're just ones that look like they are. Most of the jackets harleydads wear around to go from bar to bar on a saturday night aren't even real riding jackets. Any authentic contemporary motorcycle jacket will have very very heavy padding in the shoulders; usually armor in the shoulders, arms and back. They're made of very thick leather and very warm. They will often have incredibly heavy zippers. Usually they also have little zippers on the torso and arms for airflow control designed for 60 mph or so of wind gusts. If you want to avoid getting a real riding jacket by accident, you don't need to do too much homework to identify what is what. If you have the opportunity to look at the features of a jacket closely, you would find that they're very different.

Many resale outlets don't even know, but with a little research you will know a real motorcycle jacket when you see it.

The more serious and correct vintage or vintage inspired (schott copies?) riding jackets probably don't even have the padding or thick leather you'd want to avoid, since they would be based on a time when there wasn't shoulder padding however.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
    Life... I understand it less and less, but love it more and more.
    All the best, erp companies dubai

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayleir View Post

The more serious and correct vintage or vintage inspired (schott copies?) riding jackets probably don't even have the padding or thick leather you'd want to avoid, since they would be based on a time when there wasn't shoulder padding however.
    OK here's a thing.

I am always amused by this sort of post. "Oh, that's shit because it isn't a full power ranger suit with full armour and so forth" "Oh, there's no padding in that."

The tradeoff we all make is between comfort and practicality and protection. And my firmly held view is that if you are going to take any sort of fall off of a motorcycle, you will be hurt and maybe killed irrespective of what gear you're wearing. The key here is your riding and the key to that is you. Which in my view is why you are better spending money on "how do I ride better-er without being a menace to myself and every other road user" courses than a grand on an Alpinestars jacket or $500 on some Dainese race gloves.

For road riding I always wear boots + gloves + jacket + fullface helmet, but very often (like this morning) will wear ordinary jeans. Because I need to get off the bike and do shit other than give feedback to my crewchief, get a rubdown and then go back out for FP2. I also need to carry shit about with me: unlike, say Marc Marquez or Rossi who have minions for that.

OP has the right idea: buy a decent bit of kit, and also ask random voices in his/her head/people on the internet for advice. My point is that protective gear does not possess magical properties.

Thread Information