Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standard "I need help" newbie post

Bike
    Soon....

Standard "I need help" newbie post

Hi Everyone,

Advanced search finally let me down, I am after some specific advice now regarding my first bike.

I'm currently looking at either:
    Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Kawasaki Ninja 300
    Yamaha R3

I have looked at:
    CBR300 - sounds like they are pretty high maintenance, and I am just not that way inclined.
    BMW310 - was a little too high & long, just enough to feel awkward.
    Hyosoungs - I haven't actually seen one but my searching skills tell me they are probably a bit heavy and too high maintenance for me.

Use:
    Commuting, but I spend about 10 minutes in a 70 zone and about another 5 minutes in 100km zone, so leaning more towards the 300s.

Me:
    I'm 5'3 and 65kgs so height and weight are a big factor.
    I've done the rounds of the shops in Christchurch and have found the Ninja & the R3 the most comfortable; both sitting wise, and when stopped (I can actually reach the ground with out leaning the bike over or swiveling sideways)

Would love some advice on the above, and also wondering what shops/mechanics people would recommend to deal with in Christchurch?

Thanks team!
    Miss.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Missnofun View Post
    CBR300 - sounds like they are pretty high maintenance, and I am just not that way inclined.
    No idea where you got that idea from. It's a Honda 286cc single, fuel injected engine. I will run forever with basic oil and filter changes. It will be no more costly to maintain than any of the other bikes you listed.

Honda or Kawasaki would be my pick.

300 if you can. That extra 50cc will assist on the open road sections.

New or used? Either way if you need gear talk about a bike/gear combo deal when shopping. If they leave a good impression now you will likely go back there for servicing and eventually a different bike.

Shop wise, if you go in positive and don't be a demanding dick, in my experience they are all fine in Christchurch.

Hope that helps.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    No idea where you got that idea from. It's a Honda 286cc single, fuel injected engine. I will run forever with basic oil and filter changes. It will be no more costly to maintain than any of the other bikes you listed.

Honda or Kawasaki would be my pick.

300 if you can. That extra 50cc will assist on the open road sections.

New or used? Either way if you need gear talk about a bike/gear combo deal when shopping. If they leave a good impression now you will likely go back there for servicing and eventually a different bike.

Shop wise, if you go in positive and don't be a demanding dick, in my experience they are all fine in Christchurch.

Hope that helps.
    +1
    I have nothing else to add
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    You really can't go wrong with any of the bikes listed - they're all good contenders. Go with the one you're happiest with - for whatever reason that is - and just ride the thing.

The advice I'd offer is:

- Get frame sliders. You are going to drop the bike, almost certainly at 0 kmph in a driveway or something similar. We've all been there. A few $$ on the sliders now saves a lot on fairings etc later.
    - Get good riding gear, boots, pants, gloves etc... it's a bit like insurance, you spend in the hope that you never need it
    - Get good tyres (if the tyres on the bike are older than 5 years, worn or not, chuck 'em, the rubber will have gone hard. There'll be a DOT date code on the tyre sidewall somewhere)
    - Start doing your courses. Ride Forever etc... and if there's a local gymkhana group then turn up, have a look, seriously consider it. Great skills training. They may have crash bar equipped bikes which they'll let you learn on.

Most of all.... do your adventuring, get out of the usual, this is a great country to ride a motorcycle in!

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    Most importantly, you have to be happy with whatever you get. The SHOEI stickers on the ninja 300 might be placed to cover scratches on the fairings so be wary of that.

I noticed the dealer with the Ninja 300 also has an MT-03 with frame sliders, michellin tyres, blindside bar-end mirrors, heated grips, windshield, and a top box. It looks like a good commuter bike too and worth considering. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...fb24588862428b

Bike
    Street Triple R
    that's good buying for six grand I reckon.

Just be careful about putting heavy stuff in that top box. It can negatively affect steering/stability. A box of beers would be OK but not a crate.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Hyosoungs - I haven't actually seen one but my searching skills tell me they are probably a bit heavy and too high maintenance for me.
    Correct. Hooflungs can look alright, they can sound quite exciting, and they have a very tempting price tag... But just don't do that to yourself, speaking as someone who made the mistake of buying one.

A bit like buying any cheap Korean built car, it's completely random if you'll get a good one or not.

I've had mates buy them, treat them like crap, never maintain them, and never have a single issue.

And then I've had mates with them (myself included) who have constant mechanical and electrical woes. My dash would only work if Jupiter was in the correct alignment and over the 2 or 3 years I kept it, burnt out 1 stator, 3 reg/recs, killed 2 starter solonoids and a starter motor, tried to pump all it's oil into the airbox twice and fouled plugs like a bastard.. 2010 model, EFI.

The Honda 300 should be bullet proof, the Kawasaki should be quite good, my experiences with R3's are that they are pretty capable but also very much built to a price and don't feel like a quality item (or maybe just the ones I've come across and ridden)

I learned on a Kawasaki GPX250 (precurser to the Ninja 250) and I found it a joy to ride, back in the day. I've not ridden a Ninja 250 but "according to the internet" they have a better mid-range but slighly less bottom and top to make it more usable around town. I have had a brief play on a Ninja 300 and it just felt like my GPX but better, more useable, and more refined.

Kwakka or Honda, all the way. Aim for a 300.

There's my two cents
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    xt660r
    I had a ride on the CBR300 when i first had my Learner licence, seemed to do fine at 100k, was comfortable, and as others have said, will be reliable.

I ended up with a ninja 250 only because I got a good deal on it, it was a good bike, and they love a good workout, but based on my experience If i had to do it all again I would not get a 250cc, it got really annoying on longer rides out of town.

BUT, it is all based on what you like, and your previous experience, I had been driving for 20 odd years, and riding offroad for longer, so all the motorcycle functions and remembering the road rules were less of an issue. it would have sucked having to learn those at the same time as learning to ride in traffic etc.

rode the MT-03 for my cbta-full test (same engine as the R3 these days i think). hated it, very cramped, felt like it had no bottom end power at all, but by then i was comparing it to my XT660R witch is nothing but...

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    Quote Originally Posted by neil. View Post

rode the MT-03 for my cbta-full test (same engine as the R3 these days i think). hated it, very cramped, felt like it had no bottom end power at all, but by then i was comparing it to my XT660R witch is nothing but...
    for someone 5'3" it wouldn't be cramped. The Honda CBR300 has less power than the MT-03 and costs signicantly more. The Yamaha also has a gear indicator, Honda does not.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    TBH the CBR300, lightest, easiest to use/reliable long service intervals, great brakes and suspension for stock machine(especially at your weight), less power than the other twins but happily does speed limit + 50, with lots of linear torque from low rpm>>redline and refined low vibrations throughout that range ----- low seat height and did I say its light and thin? being a single it's thinner than the others which makes maneuverability that much better. anyway--- if you liked the R3 after sitting on it / riding go for that! they are a blast too, fun engine, bit poo in the handling and brakes

after a week you wont be using the gear indicator or any of the other idiot lights really.... or you shouldn't be / you'll learn while commuting that you won't have time too.... so not having that on the dash is really moot.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Get a Busa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Soon....
    Thanks everyone! That's bloody brilliant.
    Good to know that I'm on the right track. (Except for the Honda, but I'm not gonna buy a Honda)

Time to spend some cash me thinks

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Thanks everyone! That's bloody brilliant.
    Good to know that I'm on the right track. (Except for the Honda, but I'm not gonna buy a Honda)

Time to spend some cash me thinks
    let me know if you want that back protector.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Honestly.. motorcycles are not cheap to run and most are not twist and ride. all need maintenance, all of the above could be fantastic or a total lemon.

best of luck with the search! go test ride, one may feel better then the other.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    (Except for the Honda, but I'm not gonna buy a Honda)

That's Bikeism

Thread Information