Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Paeroa Battle of the Streets,

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I probably contributed to its demise by riding a early 80's BMW R65 in last years classic event.

It was the high point of my mid life crisis as I won prize money for the first time ever, having only ever won a meat raffle in Sydney in 1986.
    For christs sake, can you try to get the middle of your helmet over the top of the one, rather than the six?

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    For christs sake, can you try to get the middle of your helmet over the top of the one, rather than the six?
    What's wrong with riding like Falappa?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    First death of Free Speech and now this....... next AJ Hackett will be reducing height of all jumps because they are scary.

Jacinta needs to invest in finding out what is happening to balls in NZ. Because we can't fix everything with IVF
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    They used to say the same about my lack of skiing ablity too and I got picked last for most sporting activities at school.

However I've ticked these things off my bucket list, and if you turn the bucket over and stand on it you can pretend your on a podium. ( not

the $1 ones, they collapse and you might spill the Lindauer)
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    400 Husqvarna vmx
    That is sad, but probably inevitable. I have watched from afar on the live timing for a few years, and this year via a four-camera video stream but it was evident the entries were WAY down, some fields as low as six or seven fronting on the grid which is pretty insulting to all the kind, hard-working souls who have volunteered for the day. Makes it hard to attract sponsors' support when others can't be bothered.
    Among many other factors, there were more bike race meetings on the schedule last summer than I have ever seen, including all the regulars plus the Hampton Festival, and as a result it was all spread rather thin, even the roll-up at Wanganui seemed to be a bit sparse.
    Must say that decision to cancel so early on the wet morning a couple of years back probably didn't help, when you consider many entrants and probably many spectators travel decent distances to be there. There are a number of options available and really waiting an extra hour or two, maybe then rejigging the programme to send the motards out first etc may have been worthy of close consideration, seeing it did clear up into a fine hot day not much later in the morning.
    Easy for me to say in hindsight, but I speak with some years' experience as a clerk and steward. I can recall being astonished that the cancellation was called so early, most unfortunate.
    Anyway Paeroa has been a great part of NZ's race history, thanks and congrats to all those on both sides of the haybales who have made it so.

Bike
    pushbike 06 XB12X
    Blog Entries
    I was lucky enough to be introduced to Paeroa street racing I think the second year it had been running. Due to the amount of LSD we were consuming at the time - these races were ,,, I can't explain it but it had an effect on me. I held these racers in awe. Watching Andrew Stroud wheel standing the Britten down the Main Street is something I will never forget. And the red 500 Matchless sidecar that drifted around the S bends leaving a whole heap of black stripes on the track. I attended the 2010 racing and was deeply saddened by what happened that day as was my wife. We had a couple of years away and then turned up after travelling a long way over a couple of days , only to be told racing was canned because it was too wet. Probably a good call for the racers sake but I think it was that one that killed it for me. I have no other shit memories of Paeroa. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the volunteers who worked it all these years , my behaviour would have upset a few of them but not one of them packed a sad with me. Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    That is sad, but probably inevitable. I have watched from afar on the live timing for a few years, and this year via a four-camera video stream but it was evident the entries were WAY down, some fields as low as six or seven fronting on the grid which is pretty insulting to all the kind, hard-working souls who have volunteered for the day. Makes it hard to attract sponsors' support when others can't be bothered.
    Among many other factors, there were more bike race meetings on the schedule last summer than I have ever seen, including all the regulars plus the Hampton Festival, and as a result it was all spread rather thin, even the roll-up at Wanganui seemed to be a bit sparse.
    Must say that decision to cancel so early on the wet morning a couple of years back probably didn't help, when you consider many entrants and probably many spectators travel decent distances to be there. There are a number of options available and really waiting an extra hour or two, maybe then rejigging the programme to send the motards out first etc may have been worthy of close consideration, seeing it did clear up into a fine hot day not much later in the morning.
    Easy for me to say in hindsight, but I speak with some years' experience as a clerk and steward. I can recall being astonished that the cancellation was called so early, most unfortunate.
    Anyway Paeroa has been a great part of NZ's race history, thanks and congrats to all those on both sides of the haybales who have made it so.
    the Paeroa meeting was never about motorcycling, it was done by the town as an event, just like others have beach hop etc, and it was always about raising funds for the local community groups etc.
    When they dropped TV coverage the end was in sight from that day on, a lot of riders were there because of it's high profile, take that away, a lot didn't go.
    I'm not sure the year it was canned due to the weather had as much impact on rider numbers as the earlier episode where they called it off after one round of racing due to a massive oil leak around the circuit. Pocketing the remaining prize money for the day rather than either doubling what was already won, or divvying up the money amongst the riders either there and then, or as a discount for the next years event, was noted among the riders who'd been loyal, and a lot didn't like the attitude...
    We've been lucky that it lasted 27 years in my opinion..
    As for chucking the motards out just cause it's wet, the world's moved on from that behaviour, the tarmac is just as hard to hit on a motard as a superbike.
    BTW nice piccie of you racing at Levin in one of the latest mags Gary.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    the Paeroa meeting was never about motorcycling, it was done by the town as an event, just like others have beach hop etc, and it was always about raising funds for the local community groups etc.
    When they dropped TV coverage the end was in sight from that day on, a lot of riders were there because of it's high profile, take that away, a lot didn't go.
    I'm not sure the year it was canned due to the weather had as much impact on rider numbers as the earlier episode where they called it off after one round of racing due to a massive oil leak around the circuit. Pocketing the remaining prize money for the day rather than either doubling what was already won, or divvying up the money amongst the riders either there and then, or as a discount for the next years event, was noted among the riders who'd been loyal, and a lot didn't like the attitude...
    We've been lucky that it lasted 27 years in my opinion..
    As for chucking the motards out just cause it's wet, the world's moved on from that behaviour, the tarmac is just as hard to hit on a motard as a superbike.
    BTW nice piccie of you racing at Levin in one of the latest mags Gary.
    Got that mag Spyda, "Old Bike Australasia" Issue 75 (with Supermono on the cover).
    Good little article on the history of Levin Circuit. Few photos of old fossils having fun.
    Another one for the collection and cheers for the heads up.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Thread Information