Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about spraying wd 40 on break disks and outside of engine.

Bike
    scooter

Question about spraying wd 40 on break disks and outside of engine.

Hey guys, i sprayed wd 40 around the outside of engine and all around the disks on the wheels of bike, my question is has me doing this removed the important lubricants or what ever chemicals that keep the wheels moving freely?

Like in other words should is it very bad if i tried to move the bike after i have sprayed the wd 40 where i have with out adding some thing else?.

Thanks you.

Bike
    77 XL250
    Is that you Winja?
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    WTF is it April 1st?

Just in case you are serious ..... WD40 on a brake disk is BAD. It is a lubricant. Don't use the bike until you have cleaned the shit out of the brakes with brakeclean.

Stick to spraying lubricants to your right hand in the future.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Energydrink View Post
    Hey guys, i sprayed wd 40 around the outside of engine and all around the disks on the wheels of bike, my question is has me doing this removed the important lubricants or what ever chemicals that keep the wheels moving freely?

Like in other words should is it very bad if i tried to move the bike after i have sprayed the wd 40 where i have with out adding some thing else?.

Thanks you.
    What did you intend to achieve ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    WTF is it April 1st?

Just in case you are serious ..... WD40 on a brake disk is BAD. It is a lubricant. Don't use the bike until you have cleaned the shit out of the brakes with brakeclean.

It can't be Cassina ... she'd use CRC ...

Bike
    S1000RR
    WTF is it April 1st?

To be fair, depending on the brake pressure and the quantity of WD40 applied, I think WD40 will either evaporate or burn off fairly quickly not risking too much harm.

Buuuuuut still, I wouldn't do it.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    To be fair, depending on the brake pressure and the quantity of WD40 applied, I think WD40 will either evaporate or burn off fairly quickly not risking too much harm.

Hmmm - I'd assume it would glaze the pads as a minimum.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post

You would probably be correct ... but if the OP is in Auckland ... it will have been washed off in the rain ..

Bike
    scooter
    I was reading that its ok to spray it there because its more like a solvent/cleaner and only leaves a very very tiny film of lube i assumed would just dissapear quickly.. So i thought since it was a solvent/cleaner it might have removed important lubed parts of the wheel that spin where i sprayed the wd 40?

I know not to put the wd 40 on brake pads but i was watching other guys on utube spray there discs with it.. any way i cleaned all the wd 40 off the disks before i tried driving it, im just wondering about the other parts.

Thanks guys

Bike
    scooter
    Or does the wd 40 just attatch on to what ever orginal lubricant is there in the "moving"/"spinning" parts of wheel.

Thanks guys.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm - I'd assume it would glaze the pads as a minimum.
    It would cause less harm on the pads than it would if the bike was parked in the rain ... and rain water would take longer to dispel ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I was reading that its ok to spray it there because its more like a solvent/cleaner and only leaves a very very tiny film of lube i assumed would just dissapear quickly.. So i thought since it was a solvent/cleaner it might have removed important lubed parts of the wheel that spin where i sprayed the wd 40?

I know not to put the wd 40 on brake pads but i was watching other guys on utube spray there discs with it.. any way i cleaned all the wd 40 off the disks before i tried driving it, im just wondering about the other parts.

Thanks guys
    With the abundance off alloy parts (and sealed bearings) on modern motorcycles ... the specific need for WD40 has gone. Clean and polish the appropriate bits ... and don't try to be lazy. That tends to bite you in the ass ...

Youtube is not the magical fountain of information some believe it is ... many intentionally post videos of fake advice and a few follow their advice. Some just think they're giving good advice.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Or does the wd 40 just attatch on to what ever orginal lubricant is there in the "moving"/"spinning" parts of wheel.

Thanks guys.
    WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. And the effect doesn't last. WD-40 can be a good substance to start with — it can help clean up rust or other grime ... if you don't have rust ... don't bother.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    If an engine is finished black, WD40, CRC, etc can pretty it up. Don't spray it on the engine though, spray it on a cloth and wipe the engine. If you use too much it can cook on.

For a new black engine, CRC and others make a similar product that contains teflon which would be better because it prevents stuff sticking to the engine. These are more expensive and harder to find though, and you should definitely keep that away from the brakes.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Despite the current popular internet meme, WD-40 IS A LUBRICANT. I have no idea why the internet has decided to tell everyone that WD-40 isn't a lubricant, but it is. It the first thing it says on the can - "WD-40 is a lubricant...etc". It's not the right lubricant for every scenario, but it is definitely a lubricant. And yes it will act as a solvent on heavier lubricants - remember chemistry in 5th form? Like dissolves like, and lighter lubricants will act as a solvent to heavier lubricants. This makes it useful for cleaning grease etc off parts.

Thread Information