Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about spraying wd 40 on break disks and outside of engine.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    If an engine is finished black, WD40, CRC, etc can pretty it up. Don't spray it on the engine though, spray it on a cloth and wipe the engine. If you use too much it can cook on.
    I used CRC and WD-40 for this on my Triumph Speed Triple, and it's great for making black engines look supreme. I would either wipe it on with a cloth, or spray directly and immediately sponge it off.

Bike
    scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Despite the current popular internet meme, WD-40 IS A LUBRICANT. I have no idea why the internet has decided to tell everyone that WD-40 isn't a lubricant, but it is. It the first thing it says on the can - "WD-40 is a lubricant...etc". It's not the right lubricant for every scenario, but it is definitely a lubricant. And yes it will act as a solvent on heavier lubricants - remember chemistry in 5th form? Like dissolves like, and lighter lubricants will act as a solvent to heavier lubricants. This makes it useful for cleaning grease etc off parts.

Ok i just want to know if i have damaged any thing by spraying the stuff on the suspension beams and wheel/sterring joints/spinning parts, since it acts like a solvent on heavier lubricants as you say is it safe to assume i have to re lubricate or use another chemicle to remove any wd 40 i put on? Or am i safe and all its done is just add more protection as long as i dont cake it on the engine etc so it doesn't cook on to it. ( i also used to to clean the plastics of the bike is that ok ).

Thanks for your help again .

Bike
    scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I used CRC and WD-40 for this on my Triumph Speed Triple, and it's great for making black engines look supreme. I would either wipe it on with a cloth, or spray directly and immediately sponge it off.
    I sprayed wd 40 all over outside of engine that is visible from outside of bike, then rubbed and wiped with dry cloth, is that ok???

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Energydrink View Post
    I sprayed wd 40 all over outside of engine that is visible from outside of bike, then rubbed and wiped with dry cloth, is that ok???
    Did you get any on the powerband?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Did you get any on the powerband?
    You should see what happens when it gets mixed in with the blinker fluid ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    The suspension and wheel bearings are sealed (to keep the grease in and water out) - you wont have done any damage with a light spraying of WD40. Nor would it have done any real good apart from cleaning if you wiped it off afterward. Avoid getting it on the brakes in future. And if anyone suggests cleaning the seat with Armor-All - dont.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    If an engine is finished black, WD40, CRC, etc can pretty it up. Don't spray it on the engine though, spray it on a cloth and wipe the engine. If you use too much it can cook on.

For a new black engine, CRC and others make a similar product that contains teflon which would be better because it prevents stuff sticking to the engine. These are more expensive and harder to find though, and you should definitely keep that away from the brakes.
    CRC products are sold by Hastings Bunnings (a good range) and MitreIO (a crap range) including one called "Dry glide" - basically spray-on PTFE (=Teflon) sold for lubing curtain tracks, sliding door tracks, thatkindathing. About $15 for a little pray can.

I'm going to have a go at polishing then respraying one of Mrs H's old stick frying pans to see if it magically becomes non-stick again. One day. When Mrs H is out, so I don't risk becoming unstuck. I'll need time to let it dry (15 mins says the can) and wash it before conducting the official scientific stick test with 3 rashers of the very finest manuka-cured streaky bacon from Hendersons - lovely stuff. And maybe a couple of eggs, freshly squeezed from our chooks. If it works, job's a goodun and lunch is served. If not, I shall go hungry and dispose of the experimental remains.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Theyre brakes......not breaks. A break is something you should have from over thinking this whole thing.

You havent damaged anything.......

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Use brake cleaner instead, good stuff

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    i have sprayed my dirt bikes for years with wd40/CRC /Pens guard and now that cheap crap from supercheap
    before I ride to help stop the mud sticking.. never had a issue doing it.. and will keep doing it..

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Yeah so the best use for WD40 is............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WD40.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	339207  
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information