Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tuono Factory???

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bluninja View Post
    Only had 2 x RSVR my2001, one for 14 hours the other for 10 years. Loved it to bits, no issues other than of my making.

Am currently tossing up between a Touno rsv4 factory and a KTM Super Duke 1290R.

The Tuono looks fab and has great electronics package and intuitive controls for engine mode and traction control on the move without going through a menu system.
    Downside (for me) is the chassis seat and pegs are identical to the RSV4 race bike so my short fat legs are folded tight when sat on it. I was quoted $12-1400 for the valve check k at 20k service. Also cant get a demo ride, apparently most people just buy them unseen cos they are the best.

Rode the KTM, comfortable, light on the steering, vibrates badly under 4 k, but ride it hard and its a grin machine. I was surprised going down the Rimutaka hill that closing the throttle doesn't give the "expected" v-twin engine braking. I'm told that most electronics smooth that out now, including the Tuono.

Both bikes have their forum horror stories for build quality and warranty issues.

Just my 2cents

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Ive ridden both and bought the Tuono. I rode the Ktoom and thought this is cool but do I really want it? Then rode the Tuono and within 2 mins it was "how do I get this and the car home?"

Ive dropped the pegs 1.5" and fitted Rox risers as I have some hip arthritis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Ive ridden both and bought the Tuono. I rode the Ktoom and thought this is cool but do I really want it? Then rode the Tuono and within 2 mins it was "how do I get this and the car home?"

Ive dropped the pegs 1.5" and fitted Rox risers as I have some hip arthritis.
    Thanks nzspokes. I mentioned doing something with the Tuono pegs but the lady just gave a shrug. I was leaning to the ktm, but now I need to consider peg options. Damn you !

Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Thanks nzspokes. I mentioned doing something with the Tuono pegs but the lady just gave a shrug. I was leaning to the ktm, but now I need to consider peg options. Damn you !

I fitted Buell drop pegs.

Oh and Dillon Telford does valve checks for about $800.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I fitted Buell drop pegs.

Oh and Dillon Telford does valve checks for about $800.
    Thanks for that.

Legalise anarchy

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Both bikes have their forum horror stories for build quality and warranty issues.
    Yeah I think I've covered all of the horrors now, but at 86,000km, I'm still smiling. I wanted the 1290 from the moment I saw the prototype video, so nothing else really got a look in. It was sort of a bonus that it was really comfortable and economical. The 1290 service costs would certainly be cheaper and reduced further if you import your own parts.

I think the Tuono Factory would be on a short list for my next bike. Or perhaps a Stelvio NTX?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Yeah I think I've covered all of the horrors now, but at 86,000km, I'm still smiling. I wanted the 1290 from the moment I saw the prototype video, so nothing else really got a look in. It was sort of a bonus that it was really comfortable and economical. The 1290 service costs would certainly be cheaper and reduced further if you import your own parts.

I think the Tuono Factory would be on a short list for my next bike. Or perhaps a Stelvio NTX?
    How do you find AFC for servicing? I've had the estimates for servicing for both bikes from the dealers now (not withstanding better deals/service elsewhere) and they are pretty much the same. The KTM can be serviced locally where as (to keep warranty) the Tuono needs to go down to Wellington.

I'm also concerned about the suspension and lack of external preload on the front forks of the KTM. Being a fat knacker I would need stiffer springs; I'm asking Robert Taylor (KSS) for an estimate for sorting the suspension for me for each bike so that I have ballpark figures on how much each bike will cost to get good handling.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    How do you find AFC for servicing?
    Hmmm ok but you need to be specific with what you want. After a couple of services putting in whatever oil suited THEM (neither spec), I start supplying oil for them to put in. Same as I put in with changes between services (7500km). I just dug out my first valve check service invoice and it was less than $500, though I supplied oil and spark plugs. Oh and then there was the drain plugs that I struggled to undo, when they're supposed to be torqued to 20Nm. Shit like that really pisses me off.

I'm now taking it to Bruce at Veloce Moto in the old Freedom workshop. He's doing everything European, though I think mine was his first KTM.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm ok but you need to be specific with what you want. After a couple of services putting in whatever oil suited THEM (neither spec), I start supplying oil for them to put in. Same as I put in with changes between services (7500km). I just dug out my first valve check service invoice and it was less than $500, though I supplied oil and spark plugs. Oh and then there was the drain plugs that I struggled to undo, when they're supposed to be torqued to 20Nm. Shit like that really pisses me off.

I'm now taking it to Bruce at Veloce Moto in the old Freedom workshop. He's doing everything European, though I think mine was his first KTM.
    That's pants.....sounds like I'd be better buying the tools and doing it myself then getting them to stamp the book if I bought a new ktm Glad to know there is somewhere local that does European bikes in Palmy post warranty.

Legalise anarchy

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    stamp the book
    Yeah another sore point lol. When I bought mine the services were lodged online so never bothered with the book. Then they dropped the online thing so nothing is viewable now. Still, I've kept all invoices.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Picked up my new Aprilia RSV4 Factory this morning. Fits me like a glove (the stretchy latex kind) so no lowered pegs needed. The Akro exhaust sounds awesome, and the pop as you use the quickshifter with the throttle wide open is a bonus grin.

Had I tested the ktm and aprilia back to back it would have saved me a lot of pondering.

Legalise anarchy

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    This is Monica...

Legalise anarchy

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Picked up my new Aprilia RSV4 Factory this morning.
    Very nice indeed.

This is Monica...
    Oh dear.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Oh dear.
    Monica has been ridden hard and has now been serviced well
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Tuono V4's sound mint! Female names should perhaps be kept for inline 4's that scream and whine???
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampy View Post
    I bit of a call back, I know, but you don't see many blue Mille's out there! Nice!
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Thread Information