Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda GB500 1987

Bike
    sportster

Honda GB500 1987

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1785678927

Anybody got any info on this trade me listing
    Been thinking about one for awhile ant thoughts would be welcome.
    Ta

Bike
    motocompo
    He's talking it up hard out. He's a gold digger. There will be cheaper ones where the seller isint so greedy.
    It's just a used GB500, with a repaired tank, but hey, it was repaired by someone we never heard of, so that makes it more special than one with a mint original tank, or one that was painted by Darren at the local panel beaters because he's done that kind of thing every day for the last twenty years for a job.
    I'm quite surprised the personalised plate is the only one in NZ, I would have thought there would be dozens of plates the same as that

Bike
    sportster
    Thanks for your thoughts
    The one in Wellington for 3k seems a good buy

Bike
    xt660r
    I'm thinking prices on this sort of thing will be at a premium for the next couple weeks.

all sorts of people (including me) will be having ideas after checking out old bikes at the "Distinguished Gentlemens Ride(s)" that was held yesterday.

I do like the looks of that one though, but I am way too cheap to spend that much

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    To be fair I've only ridden the 400, but I found it to be a thoroughly uninspiring budget bike. The 500 will be considerably more exciting, maybe up to the level of meagre.

For that money you could buy something much more fun to ride with better components. But heck if it's what you really like the look of and must have it then knock yourself out.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    To be fair I've only ridden the 400, but I found it to be a thoroughly uninspiring budget bike. The 500 will be considerably more exciting, maybe up to the level of meagre.

For that money you could buy something much more fun to ride with better components. But heck if it's what you really like the look of and must have it then knock yourself out.
    Basically true. I certainly wouldn't argue against that. The stupid thing is just how easily the 500 can be raised from "struggling with a stiff rice pudding" to "much more sprightly - fun even".
    I've done two of them now. Close up the air gap on the ignition pickup from around 1mm to about .25mm. Bit of fiddly work but nothing but time. That's it. It works.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    If it's the retro look you want, and you've got $6500 to throw around, I'd be looking at something with a bit more poke. Like an early retro Triumph. Or an original Daytona which wouldn't have the top speed but would be genuine old school and cheaper on parts.

If you're sold on the Honda badge I would have thought a CB would be a better buy.

Nice looking bike but. Not 6500 nice though.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    When they first came out I took a 500 out from a dealer and took a ride with my friend who had an old BSA 500.

We both decided the BSA was a better ride.

The only thing the Honda had on it were marginally better brakes.
    =mjc=

Bike
    sportster
    Thanks everyone these are all very valid points.
    Still nostalgia is a powerful thing

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Basically true. I certainly wouldn't argue against that. The stupid thing is just how easily the 500 can be raised from "struggling with a stiff rice pudding" to "much more sprightly - fun even".
    I've done two of them now. Close up the air gap on the ignition pickup from around 1mm to about .25mm. Bit of fiddly work but nothing but time. That's it. It works.
    How did you ever think to check that & work out that it would make a difference?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    When they first came out I took a 500 out from a dealer and took a ride with my friend who had an old BSA 500.

We both decided the BSA was a better ride.

The only thing the Honda had on it were marginally better brakes.
    The BSA would be harder to push though

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    How did you ever think to check that & work out that it would make a difference?
    I'd had a KLR650 in the shop with starting problems. In sheer desperation, I checked the air gap - huge - closed it up and away we went...Amazing difference.
    I'm guessing that a poor magnetic signal means the advance curve doesn't follow it's designed path - but it's a guess.

So when a GB500 appears and an old mate asks for help with a starting issue, try it again. His comment afterwards (ex racer) was to the effect that it was a whole gear faster and he'd look seriously at changing the gearing.

Pushing - depends on the BSA you're comparing it to. B50 is basically a big 250 and about the same weight as the Honda. B33 or Goldie are a full size heavy bike...

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    The BSA would be harder to push though
    The Goldstar isn't bad to push. It's just how often you have to push it that made the GB's feel superior.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Gilera 180 , ,GB400/650 ,SV650
    if you can get one cheap do what I did put a Nx 650 motor in it much better
    and it now goes very well
    finding the 650 motor might be the hard part but if you can they bolt straight in

I did a thread on my build when I did it a few years back

Bike
    motocompo
    I assume the op has seen this.
    Not my post, the ad at the top of the thread.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1131112347

Thread Information