Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From Intermot 2018 for Katman and ?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    they're even uglier than the original kats, at least they didn't put the dumb fake suede seat on it, i they were impossible to clean once they had a finger mark in them
    They were no problem to clean, spray on aerosol carpet cleaner, scrub & hose off.
    I was the only bloke with a clean katana seat for years.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    They were no problem to clean, spray on aerosol carpet cleaner, scrub & hose off.
    I was the only bloke with a clean katana seat for years.
    interesting, every one i saw had grease marks on them after a while..., shows ya how many blokes no good cleaning products eh?

Bike
    motocompo
    I considered starting a thread about this, but I'll chuck it in here & the smart people will find it.
    For removing ancient grime of otherwise good paintwork, like fairing panels directly behind the front wheel etc, use a rung out damp rag, with plenty of Jif. It is truly the best grooming product I have discovered & any dried up product washes straight off when you clean the bike, just make sure that the rag is wet first.
    For extremely difficult stains, paint, tar, glue, or any shit that won't otherwise move, damp the rag in turps & put Jif on said rag. If anything will move something without damage, that will.
    Also, if in doubt, rub wd40 on any part of your motorcycle that needs attention apart from the brake discs. It's particularly good at reviving rough cast painted alloy wheels. The stuff is magic, even on paintwork & plastics, it's mainly Vaseline in a liquid form, I've become a huge fan of its results.

Bike
    husaberg
    I considered starting a thread about this, but I'll chuck it in here & the smart people will find it.
    For removing ancient grime of otherwise good paintwork, like fairing panels directly behind the front wheel etc, use a rung out damp rag, with plenty of Jif. It is truly the best grooming product I have discovered & any dried up product washes straight off when you clean the bike, just make sure that the rag is wet first.
    For extremely difficult stains, paint, tar, glue, or any shit that won't otherwise move, damp the rag in turps & put Jif on said rag. If anything will move something without damage, that will.
    Also, if in doubt, rub wd40 on any part of your motorcycle that needs attention apart from the brake discs. It's particularly good at reviving rough cast painted alloy wheels. The stuff is magic, even on paintwork & plastics, it's mainly Vaseline in a liquid form, I've become a huge fan of its results.
    Handy andy works great getting the grime off wheels and casing apint it on neat and wash it off with water.
    Pledge works well on leather seats and plastics and smells nice if you use the lemony one.
    I have heard of people degreasing egine parts in the dishwasher as well. But i have never tried it.
    We used to use jiff slightly watered down on plastic tanks XR etc as it gets the dirt out of the cuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    suzuki
    , it's mainly Vaseline in a liquid form, I've become a huge fan of its results.
    get that tip from scrivy did ya?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    It should have looked like this concept drawing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUZUKI 1000 SUPERKATANA.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	339140  

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Has there ever been a designer who cannot resist "improving" a previous work (especially if the original was by someone else)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Has there ever been a designer who cannot resist "improving" a previous work (especially if the original was by someone else)
    Boob implants. Like bikes they are not always a improvement!

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Boob implants. Like bikes they are not always a improvement!
    Well.....

Sometimes an imitation can be as good as or even better than the original. Think about almond milk, or fake boobs,” said local resident Carl Krookstrand. “The Dirty South is kind of like fake boobs squirting almond milk, which is pretty awesome if you ask me.
    http://www.chattanoogabystander.com/...-tribute-band/
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    The issue to me is the changes in motorcycle architecture (driven by function) from the early 1980's (late 70's if you count Hans Muth's original concept for (I think it was) Moto Guzzi). The original Katana was long, low, and the view from the side is dominated by the horizontal lines and the huge aircooled engine which is very long as well because it doesnt have a stacked gearbox or inclined cylinders or airbox where the fuel tank should be.

The modern bike has an anonymous lump of an engine that has that stacked gearbox and has that inclined cylinder bank and air inlet on top. So what that does is concentrates the visual mass into a lump just behind the front wheel. Its like one of those ridiculous guys that is a bodybuilder: all shoulders and neck and tiny bandy legs. Staple onto that some "Katana" design cues, and the result is nowhere near as pretty or as integrated as the original. But that's why I dont like it.

I also really hate the seat/tail on the original Kat as well. Most of the custom ones do better but honestly, the passenger seat looks like a big blue loaf of bread stapled on out the back.

When they came out I was going to buy a Kat - I was riding a GSX750 at the time and was all keen.... until I sat on one and realised that my arms were too short and I was lying on the tank with my ballsack squoooshed up against the back of it, and my neck at an acute angle.. Horribly uncomfortable. Taller people didnt have the problem

IMO of course.
    I like Hans Muths 'other' design.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Pledge works well on leather seats and plastics and smells nice if you use the lemony one.
    You should probably stay away from paint shops after using that. Apparently it contains a lot of silicone.

I was a bit startled to see mention of Jif, does that not contain abrasives?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    You should probably stay away from paint shops after using that. Apparently it contains a lot of silicone.

Yep, but if you use a wet rag, you can't harm a thing.
    I've use it on a rupees electric buff to shine up dull body panels on cars.
    Plenty of Jif & absolutely critical to use a wet rag or polishing wheel.
    Cool thing is that the worst thing that happens is you get very clean hands.
    It's win win.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

Jiff is mild kind of like baking soda
    use jiff slightly watered down and not on laquered surfaces.
    the pledge is mainly plastic tanks or seats. you can use it on painted surfaces no worries as the prep will removed any si it has.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    motocompo
    Jay Lawrence on the Suzuki GB owned Katana, run by Carl Cox Motorsport. Classic TT I.O.M 2018.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	180827JWDR_36811-1280x853.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	339161  

Bike
    husaberg
    Jay Lawrence on the Suzuki GB owned Katana, run by Carl Cox Motorsport. Classic TT I.O.M 2018.
    i want to see sparton 3 pics esp the harris one i have never heard of.
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information