Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Race fuel in the S.I.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    You're too young to have seen me testing Methanol brews for water content back in the day.
    You still have a healthy beard so I'm guessing not much flame was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I suspect its pushing high in toluene.
    This is KB, eff off with ya big words! Now I have to google wtf toluene is!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post

This is KB, eff off with ya big words! Now I have to google wtf toluene is!
    Its a solvent most often used in paint thinners also used to make TNT
    its an excellent fuel for turbo cars it was used in the 80's turbo F1 cars.
    Plus its a cheap octane booster
    I could only find one MSDS for NPD fuels, I think its the 96 octane fuel but it has 5-10% TOLUENE .
    https://npd.co.nz/npdfuel/wp-content...PetrolMSDS.pdf

seems to be no fim limit on toluene though interesting
    looks like it might fail under benzine though
    https://www.mnz.co.nz/docs/default-s...(off-road).pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Its a solvent most often used in paint thinners also used to make TNT
    its an excellent fuel for turbo cars it was used in the 80's turbo F1 cars.
    Plus its a cheap octane booster
    I could only find one MSDS for NPD fuels, I think its the 96 octane fuel but it has 5-10% TOLUENE .
    https://npd.co.nz/npdfuel/wp-content...PetrolMSDS.pdf

seems to be no fim limit on toluene though interesting
    looks like it might fail under benzine though
    https://www.mnz.co.nz/docs/default-s...(off-road).pdf
    Apparently it's the good sniff too, that's the shit the solvent abusers dig

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'd be surprised if it's got Toluene in any quantity - it's not cheap. they don't advertise it as being suitable for Turbos specifically either.
    They claim non metallic and organic "advanced formulation enhancers" so probably sodium salts as Shell used some years back.
    What I do like is that it apparently has fuel stabilisers added for a long shelf life - very good for a fuel sold in small quantities.

All I'll say about testing meth for water content is that after a couple of seasons using the expensive to replace test kit, it was apparent that if a drop on the tongue tasted salty, it was going to test positive for a high water content. Saved money and time.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    Is Avgas still allowed in racing over in NZ?

MA has been working on writing it out of our supp regs.
    Yes, that along with some other moves has been noticed over here. If they were serious about going green, the low lead 100 avgas would still be legal - as would Methanol - which has no lead at all.
    And as for the regs on asbestos content in bikes imported to Oz, sheesh, mad.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    I'd be surprised if it's got Toluene in any quantity - it's not cheap. they don't advertise it as being suitable for Turbos specifically either.
    They claim non metallic and organic "advanced formulation enhancers" so probably sodium salts as Shell used some years back.
    What I do like is that it apparently has fuel stabilisers added for a long shelf life - very good for a fuel sold in small quantities.

All I'll say about testing meth for water content is that after a couple of seasons using the expensive to replace test kit, it was apparent that if a drop on the tongue tasted salty, it was going to test positive for a high water content. Saved money and time.
    According to Wiki the Aussie fuel companies were sneaking it in for a while:

In Australia in 2003, toluene was found to have been illegally combined with petrol in fuel outlets for sale as standard vehicular fuel. Toluene incurs no fuel excise tax, while other fuels are taxed at more than 40%, providing a greater profit margin for fuel suppliers. The extent of toluene substitution has not been determined.

What else would you expect from a nation founded by convicts I guess?

Bike
    husaberg

Anyone intersting in what toluene does can look here
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130197791
    I would have thought you could workout the water content of Methaol with a simple hydrometer

he googles yip
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8UL6zwKK58
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RNyiktgUjI
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exercycle
    If it was straight methanol, yes a hydrometer would work. But most of the time it was Meth/petrol blends. You'd ask, "when did you mix this?" and get told - at Wanganui..So you'd point out that was a fortnight ago and it's been in a tank vented to atmosphere since - and you came down here in steady rain...

And in the 80's you couldn't buy 100% pure meth anyway. It came from the fuel companies who each had their own blend. Shell for instance had 5-8% white spirits. All had colouring agents. Aussie meth had 10% oil added...

Anyway, i've put the word out that there's something for the tech steward to test - if he hasn't done it already. If it's legal, great. It's been bloody annoying watching the NI competitors bring Gull cans South. If you want Gull in the SI you have to negotiate with a carrier to bring it. The listed local agents won't do it.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    If it was straight methanol, yes a hydrometer would work. But most of the time it was Meth/petrol blends. You'd ask, "when did you mix this?" and get told - at Wanganui..So you'd point out that was a fortnight ago and it's been in a tank vented to atmosphere since - and you came down here in steady rain...

And in the 80's you couldn't buy 100% pure meth anyway. It came from the fuel companies who each had their own blend. Shell for instance had 5-8% white spirits. All had colouring agents. Aussie meth had 10% oil added...

Anyway, i've put the word out that there's something for the tech steward to test - if he hasn't done it already. If it's legal, great. It's been bloody annoying watching the NI competitors bring Gull cans South. If you want Gull in the SI you have to negotiate with a carrier to bring it. The listed local agents won't do it.
    Good fuel that Gull stuff

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Street Triple R

Whats in Gull fuel that isnt in the liquid gold that comes from Z or Mobil?

I am learning at the feet of the masters here.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    beans......
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I found this with google ... Challenge Waimak LTD sells race fuel. (Apparently)

https://challengewaimak.co.nz/race-gas/
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I found this with google ... Challenge Waimak LTD sells race fuel. (Apparently)

https://challengewaimak.co.nz/race-gas/
    Overage low lead avgas. Reputedly, the stuff sold at Ruapuna is fresher...

Gull has a higher ethanol content than the fuel sold in the SI. Some late injected motors reputedly like it better than avgas.
    If it's the best pump fuel you can buy where you are in the NI, when you come South for the nationals you have to break several laws about the carriage of flammable substances. I said at the time that the fuel regs should specify the fuel used should be available NZ wide....

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post

I am learning at the feet of the masters here.
    Gull had a 10% and i believe also a 85% ethanol mix. as "pump fuel"
    It was only legal as it was pump fuel rather than what was in it.
    Ethanol has a high octane and a high latent heat of evaporation.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Gull had a 10% and i believe also a 85% ethanol mix. as "pump fuel"
    It was only legal as it was pump fuel rather than what was in it.
    Ethanol has a high octane and a high latent heat of evaporation.
    Moar oxigens too right?

Gull 98 is the goods. We always found cars did well on it on the dyno, my current car loves it.

E85 if tuned on a good ecu with turbo goodness can make a lot more power than standard 98 pump gas.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Thread Information