Thread: BMW 1150GS subframe

Bike
    KTM530EXC

BMW 1150GS subframe

Mine has done 115,000km and the subframe paint needs attention. I have looked it over, and also in the manual; it seems to me I should be able to remove the entire subframe from the bike. Just looks like it will need supporting underneath as the rear shock top mount is on the subframe. Am I right? Has anyone here done this?
    I will get it powder coated, along with a few other bits.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    2014 BMW R1200LC
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    Mine has done 115,000km and the subframe paint needs attention. I have looked it over, and also in the manual; it seems to me I should be able to remove the entire subframe from the bike. Just looks like it will need supporting underneath as the rear shock top mount is on the subframe. Am I right? Has anyone here done this?
    I will get it powder coated, along with a few other bits.
    So Rock the Boat, have you done this yet?

Bike
    2003 Tuono
    If you haven't already done it, I did it on a 1100GS to remove the gearbox and replace the clutch. Also got it painted at the same time.

In very simple steps.
    Bike on centre stand, tie centre stand to front wheel so it can't go up. I tied the front wheel down to a bike lift. Undo top shock mount, remove all the bits and pieces such as wiring and so on, undo subframe bolts (4) and it should be free.

I think I removed the shock completely to free things up. The subframe is made to pivot up on the top mounts for things such as clutch replacements so most wires are routed to accompany that movement.

There is quite a bit of wiring all over the place which will be a pain and needs time to thread in and out.

I probably have some photos if you want them.

Thread Information