Thread: Where can I rent a sport bike in NZ?

Bike
    NC30s

Where can I rent a sport bike in NZ?

Hello,

I'm currently living out of the country but I'm planning to do a short motorcycle tour with some friends early next year when I'm back.
    I sold my bike when I last left NZ, so I've been looking around at the motorcycle hire companies but they all seem to only carry tourers and adventure bikes. I'm really looking for something like a ZX6R to hire but I can't seem to find any rental places carrying sport bikes.

Do any of you lot know of a bike rental place with a slightly larger range? I'm happy with older models too.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Probably a good reason the companies only rent touring styled bikes ....... ah because people want to tour and carry their shit while on tour.

I cant think of any rental companies offering sports bikes - again what would be the point - presumable your customer is only going to rent then fang the shit out of the XXRR. A high risk to your rolling stock being crashed or ordered off the road.

I do see a market for exotica being track rented under controlled conditions - pay for a day at the track with a selection of top end machinery. And you'd have to pay a fair whack as well.

Bike
    2004 SV650S
    102° Rx = + /_\

Bike
    NC30s
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Probably a good reason the companies only rent touring styled bikes ....... ah because people want to tour and carry their shit while on tour.

I cant think of any rental companies offering sports bikes - again what would be the point - presumable your customer is only going to rent then fang the shit out of the XXRR. A high risk to your rolling stock being crashed or ordered off the road.

I do see a market for exotica being track rented under controlled conditions - pay for a day at the track with a selection of top end machinery. And you'd have to pay a fair whack as well.
    A major reason for me wanting to rent something other than an adventure bike is that I will be in the market for a new bike when I return to NZ and this would be a great opportunity for me to spend a bit of time on a bike I may be interested in buying in the future. Kind of an extended test ride.
    I've done a bit of touring on my old 05 ZX6R with a luggage rack and had no problems. I had no comfort issues either, although the comfort level varies considerably across models (and people).
    I do see your point regarding the demographic likely to rent sport bikes, and the inherent risk. I might be out of luck, but will keep looking.

Bike
    NC30s
    Quote Originally Posted by babysteps View Post
    Well then, look what we have here. Might be a little outside what I am wanting to spend at $300+ per day, but will keep this place in mind.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinz0r View Post
    A major reason for me wanting to rent something other than an adventure bike is that I will be in the market for a new bike when I return to NZ and this would be a great opportunity for me to spend a bit of time on a bike I may be interested in buying in the future. Kind of an extended test ride.
    Find a bike shop that you are known at (if that is possible) ... and tell them that. They may do a deal if business is slow and they're sure (think) a sale might be forthcoming ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by babysteps View Post
    That 999 would be great.. Except for that ghastly clutch cover haha!
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Thread Information