Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: VF1000R Where there's smole...........

  1. #1
    Join Date
    11th October 2018 - 13:30
    Bike
    1986 Honda VF1000R
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1

    VF1000R Where there's smole...........

    Has anyone struck this before and found the cause? I replaced the spark plugs and reassembled the bike. When I started it I found smoke coming from the wiring connector in the attached photo. Have I done something wrong?
    Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VF Wiring.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	339171  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    23rd February 2007 - 08:47
    Bike
    Suzuki gsxr 600k7. Hayabusa K9 DRZ250 K
    Location
    CHCH
    Posts
    1,877
    Quote Originally Posted by timham View Post
    Has anyone struck this before and found the cause? I replaced the spark plugs and reassembled the bike. When I started it I found smoke coming from the wiring connector in the attached photo. Have I done something wrong?
    Cheers
    I will take a punt that is your regulator/rectifier connector and your reg has gone bad, taking your plugs with it. A Honda thing apparently. Hopefully no damage to your ecu or stator. Do VF1000Rs have ecus? You should be able to find info on line to test both your stator and reg/rec using a multimeter from the unplugged remains of that plug. Assuming it is your reg/rec that has gone bad, replace with an updated mosfet one and delete that plug using well soldered and protected joints.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,127
    yellow wires like that - usually reg/rec . Old Hondas are famous for having reg/rec's that fry themselves. I'd start there.

    I love those VF1000R's by the way: cool bike.

    definitely check out the stator though because it might have shorted across one of the windings, which has caused the magic smoke to come out.
    6 grand for 2 grands worth of fun. - F5 Dave

  4. #4
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,145
    I'd just be replacing the connector to start with.
    High resistance causes heat, looks to me like the heat is concentrated to the connector, particularly the middle one, meaning it wasn't connecting properly, otherwise the wires would be fried too.
    Keep it simple.
    I'd start by busting all the melted plastic off the terminals, pushing the terminals together, squeezing them with pliers to make sure they are tight, then applying insulation tape to them & testing again.
    As for the smole, I'd get my spell checker overhauled.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,002
    It's not just a Honda thing. As above. I'd wire it together and test it. Volt meter over the battery as a start. Plenty of test information on the net or YouTube no doubt on how to test charging system. Hopefully you've caught it in time.

    I'm a fan of crimping that connection block as 4 separate wires cleaned back to bare shiny copper and crimped with proper uninsulated crimps with heatshrink.
    Insulated crimps are the work of the devil. Solder joints are best for conductivity but unsuitable for wiring looms as they cope badly with flex over time.

    It does mean you can't quickly disconnect but the only time you really need to do that is replacing stator or removing engine. So. . .monthly?
    Kidding.
    A bit.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    29th August 2007 - 14:38
    Bike
    Racing ones
    Location
    CHCH
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by timham View Post
    Has anyone struck this before and found the cause? I replaced the spark plugs and reassembled the bike. When I started it I found smoke coming from the wiring connector in the attached photo. Have I done something wrong?
    Cheers
    Clearly you have blown the motor, best sell it to that good bastard Dave at your work , pretty sure he'd give you 5 hundy for it

  7. #7
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Triplenut View Post
    Clearly you have blown the motor, best sell it to that good bastard Dave at your work , pretty sure he'd give you 5 hundy for it
    Don't do that - he'd only put it into some weird tricycle thing...

    As has been said above it's not just a Honda thing to fry the plug from the alternator stator. Very common on old Suzukis too.
    Yes, either hook it up semi permanently with soldered connections or use a Bosch or Nava style 3 or 4 pin plug with big contact areas.
    Reason is a tool - remember where you left it..... The late, great, John Clarke

  8. #8
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,145
    This was a factory installed feature on all Aprilia RSV1000R's

  9. #9
    Join Date
    4th November 2003 - 13:00
    Bike
    BSA A10
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    11,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Don't do that - he'd only put it into some weird tricycle thing...
    Hazelman replica sitter would be the go
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."


    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    8th January 2005 - 15:05
    Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    8,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    Was apparently so common for Street Triples to fry the regulator/rectifier that if you order a replacement they supply a mosfet device. Well, that was what they were doing in the UK, whether it extends to the colonies or not I don't know.

    Sadly I do know that the arrangement doesn't apply to Speed Triples.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

  11. #11
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2015 GSX-S 1000
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    3,953
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Was apparently so common for Street Triples to fry the regulator/rectifier that if you order a replacement they supply a mosfet device. Well, that was what they were doing in the UK, whether it extends to the colonies or not I don't know.

    Sadly I do know that the arrangement doesn't apply to Speed Triples.
    Yep, although I didn't suffer a failure, Triumph NZ contacted me and a new Mosfet-type was fitted to my Street Triple at their expense. Hopefully, failures are a thing of the past as I think a Triumph will loom large again in my future (subject to Executive Permission of course)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,002
    Funnily enough my Street Triple has those wires crimped. As a precaution, from others misfortune. My old RZ performed that trick in the early 90s.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    7th September 2009 - 09:47
    Bike
    Yo momma
    Location
    Podunk, Oregon. USA
    Posts
    4,201
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

    I'm a fan of crimping that connection block as 4 separate wires cleaned back to bare shiny copper and crimped with proper uninsulated crimps with heatshrink.
    Insulated crimps are the work of the devil. Solder joints are best for conductivity but unsuitable for wiring looms as they cope badly with flex over time.

    It does mean you can't quickly disconnect but the only time you really need to do that is replacing stator or removing engine. So. . .monthly?
    Kidding.
    A bit.
    I thought you niggas still used those really choice chocolate block connectors. Can't go wrong with those...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,127
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Was apparently so common for Street Triples to fry the regulator/rectifier that if you order a replacement they supply a mosfet device. Well, that was what they were doing in the UK, whether it extends to the colonies or not I don't know.

    Sadly I do know that the arrangement doesn't apply to Speed Triples.
    Mine was part of a factory recall by Mr Bloor, who arranged for Street and Sport to supply and fit a new reg/rec for me. Top bloke!
    6 grand for 2 grands worth of fun. - F5 Dave

  15. #15
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yep, although I didn't suffer a failure, Triumph NZ contacted me and a new Mosfet-type was fitted to my Street Triple at their expense. Hopefully, failures are a thing of the past as I think a Triumph will loom large again in my future (subject to Executive Permission of course)
    Daytona 765RS Motot2 rep with Ohlins/Marchesini/Brembo and a Motec dash. $29995. Gizza go Mr?
    6 grand for 2 grands worth of fun. - F5 Dave

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •