Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VF1000R Where there's smole...........

Bike
    1986 Honda VF1000R

VF1000R Where there's smole...........

Has anyone struck this before and found the cause? I replaced the spark plugs and reassembled the bike. When I started it I found smoke coming from the wiring connector in the attached photo. Have I done something wrong?
    Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VF Wiring.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	339171  

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by timham View Post
    Has anyone struck this before and found the cause? I replaced the spark plugs and reassembled the bike. When I started it I found smoke coming from the wiring connector in the attached photo. Have I done something wrong?
    Cheers
    I will take a punt that is your regulator/rectifier connector and your reg has gone bad, taking your plugs with it. A Honda thing apparently. Hopefully no damage to your ecu or stator. Do VF1000Rs have ecus? You should be able to find info on line to test both your stator and reg/rec using a multimeter from the unplugged remains of that plug. Assuming it is your reg/rec that has gone bad, replace with an updated mosfet one and delete that plug using well soldered and protected joints.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    yellow wires like that - usually reg/rec . Old Hondas are famous for having reg/rec's that fry themselves. I'd start there.

I love those VF1000R's by the way: cool bike.

definitely check out the stator though because it might have shorted across one of the windings, which has caused the magic smoke to come out.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    motocompo
    I'd just be replacing the connector to start with.
    High resistance causes heat, looks to me like the heat is concentrated to the connector, particularly the middle one, meaning it wasn't connecting properly, otherwise the wires would be fried too.
    Keep it simple.
    I'd start by busting all the melted plastic off the terminals, pushing the terminals together, squeezing them with pliers to make sure they are tight, then applying insulation tape to them & testing again.
    As for the smole, I'd get my spell checker overhauled.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    It's not just a Honda thing. As above. I'd wire it together and test it. Volt meter over the battery as a start. Plenty of test information on the net or YouTube no doubt on how to test charging system. Hopefully you've caught it in time.

I'm a fan of crimping that connection block as 4 separate wires cleaned back to bare shiny copper and crimped with proper uninsulated crimps with heatshrink.
    Insulated crimps are the work of the devil. Solder joints are best for conductivity but unsuitable for wiring looms as they cope badly with flex over time.

It does mean you can't quickly disconnect but the only time you really need to do that is replacing stator or removing engine. So. . .monthly?
    Kidding.
    A bit.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Racing ones
    Quote Originally Posted by timham View Post
    Cheers
    Clearly you have blown the motor, best sell it to that good bastard Dave at your work , pretty sure he'd give you 5 hundy for it

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Triplenut View Post
    Clearly you have blown the motor, best sell it to that good bastard Dave at your work , pretty sure he'd give you 5 hundy for it
    Don't do that - he'd only put it into some weird tricycle thing...

As has been said above it's not just a Honda thing to fry the plug from the alternator stator. Very common on old Suzukis too.
    Yes, either hook it up semi permanently with soldered connections or use a Bosch or Nava style 3 or 4 pin plug with big contact areas.

Bike
    motocompo
    This was a factory installed feature on all Aprilia RSV1000R's

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Don't do that - he'd only put it into some weird tricycle thing...
    Hazelman replica sitter would be the go
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Was apparently so common for Street Triples to fry the regulator/rectifier that if you order a replacement they supply a mosfet device. Well, that was what they were doing in the UK, whether it extends to the colonies or not I don't know.

Sadly I do know that the arrangement doesn't apply to Speed Triples.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Was apparently so common for Street Triples to fry the regulator/rectifier that if you order a replacement they supply a mosfet device. Well, that was what they were doing in the UK, whether it extends to the colonies or not I don't know.

Yep, although I didn't suffer a failure, Triumph NZ contacted me and a new Mosfet-type was fitted to my Street Triple at their expense. Hopefully, failures are a thing of the past as I think a Triumph will loom large again in my future (subject to Executive Permission of course)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Funnily enough my Street Triple has those wires crimped. As a precaution, from others misfortune. My old RZ performed that trick in the early 90s.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

I'm a fan of crimping that connection block as 4 separate wires cleaned back to bare shiny copper and crimped with proper uninsulated crimps with heatshrink.
    Insulated crimps are the work of the devil. Solder joints are best for conductivity but unsuitable for wiring looms as they cope badly with flex over time.

It does mean you can't quickly disconnect but the only time you really need to do that is replacing stator or removing engine. So. . .monthly?
    Kidding.
    A bit.
    I thought you niggas still used those really choice chocolate block connectors. Can't go wrong with those...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

Mine was part of a factory recall by Mr Bloor, who arranged for Street and Sport to supply and fit a new reg/rec for me. Top bloke!

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yep, although I didn't suffer a failure, Triumph NZ contacted me and a new Mosfet-type was fitted to my Street Triple at their expense. Hopefully, failures are a thing of the past as I think a Triumph will loom large again in my future (subject to Executive Permission of course)
    Daytona 765RS Motot2 rep with Ohlins/Marchesini/Brembo and a Motec dash. $29995. Gizza go Mr?

Thread Information