Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1984 Yamaha xj750L value?

Bike
    nil

1984 Yamaha xj750L value?

Looking at buying a bike here local to me. 1984 Yamaha xj750L, hasn't been on the road since 06. Bike started up straight away with a jump, runs bit rough but goes.
    I'm really keen on buying it but want to know what its actually worth? It has all the fairings etc, but it has surface rust on exhaust pipe and pitting around it.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Sounds very average. Runs rough. Could be simple set of plugs or a lot more. Was it starting on old fuel in the tank? If so that fuel is past it's use by and I'm surprised it started. Check as much as you can inside the tank - rust is bad.

Check the carb rubbers - if they are perished can you get replacements? Rust - check fork legs and shock shafts - if they are rusted it's dollars.

Brake lines, etc etc etc more dollars.

Rego on hold? If not what's it cost to get live again?

$500 because it goes.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    As above, complete and running with live (on hold) rego anything up to $1000, I'd start lower than that and see how it went though....with dead rego it's a bit of a mission (and money) to get back on the road, so half of that.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    nil
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Sounds very average. Runs rough. Could be simple set of plugs or a lot more. Was it starting on old fuel in the tank? If so that fuel is past it's use by and I'm surprised it started. Check as much as you can inside the tank - rust is bad.

Check the carb rubbers - if they are perished can you get replacements? Rust - check fork legs and shock shafts - if they are rusted it's dollars.

Brake lines, etc etc etc more dollars.

Rego on hold? If not what's it cost to get live again?

$500 because it goes.
    Yep old fuel, old plugs. I can snag it for 300. But then its like how much to get it on the road again.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iludez View Post
    Yep old fuel, old plugs. I can snag it for 300. But then its like how much to get it on the road again.
    Fresh fuel and it may run well

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/ve...-your-vehicle/

Bike
    nil
    Rego still on hold, would need new of though not being on the road for 13 years I imagine it will need a lot

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Yeah, maybe. My recent experience suggests otherwise. But a bunch of carb kits, some ultrasonic cleaning, some careful reassembly onto new inlet rubbers with new throttle cables* and its beaut.

*havent done the throttle cables yet.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... But then its like how much to get it on the road again.
    Get it to a bike shop and get a professional assessment. Whatever it costs ... you will save a fucking sight more if it's a total heap of shit time bomb ...

I owned one for as number of years ... and they are usually pretty dependable. But if the things like wheel bearings/fork seals are going (or gone) ... tires are worn ... brake pads /fluid low ... it might push the price to what you might pay for one already legal.

On the plus side ... it started easily. If the compression was down ... it wouldn't. There are still plenty of XJ's on the road ... and (second hand) parts are readily available. Brake/carb bits should be still available new.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    With rego on hold 300 would be quite reasonable.

I've been through this with a bike parked for about the same amount of time, total cost well under $1k for a WOF'd bike, as long as you don't mind spending the time stripping and cleaning stuff and replacing seals and things it shouldn't cost too much to get roadworthy.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Fresh fuel and it may run well
    The tank cleaned and lined would be a good idea. If the underside of the tank is showing signs of rust ... it may be a bit thin and prone to leaking. Sitting for so long won't help. There may be a bit of condensation in the tank ... which certainly wont help it run smoothly. Lining the tank on older bikes is good insurance ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Oh - the tyres will be rooted - regardless of the tread or physical appearance the rubber will now be 'hard' and basically crap.

Add the cost of tyres to the list (check wheel sizes too as if they are oddball 80's sizing potentially expensive).

Bike
    nil
    Think I'll just pass on it.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Think I'll just pass on it.
    $300 go cart engine :-)

Bike
    Old Bikes
    If you're buying it as a cheap entry into riding then I'd run a mile. $300 is about right but the cost of resurrecting it is unknown. It's hardly a future classic.

If you're buying it because you have a half decent workshop and don't mind tinkering then I'd grab it. Would make a good cheap reliable tourer. Cheap rego in six years. Donor parts bikes around still.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I look at them as parts bikes, do some research into what you can sell the good bits for and thats your price guide.

Taking it to a bike shop is just a waste of your's and their time.

I used to buy stuff like that, see if I could get it running for a few bucks, sell it on TM or part it out, you'd be surprised how much you can make.

$300!!!!, buy it.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Thread Information