Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bike recommendation for tall person

Bike
    none

First bike recommendation for tall person

Hi,
    I am 192 cm tall (6 foot 3) and weigh 80kg.
    I have never ridden a bike before.
    Have done some searching for possible options and now looking for advice to help narrow it down.

From my searching common learner recommendations seem to be:
    Ninja 250 / 300
    Honda Cbr250 / Hornet / vt250
    Suzuki gn250 / gs500

Obviously open to suggestions.

Looking for a cheap leanrner bike (2nd hand), not bothered about old / new, have a fair diy understanding of mechanics,

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    What - three hours in and no one has said buy a Busa!

Best advice is for you to go have a sit on the listed (or suggested) bikes. Seriously.

On the positive side, you will have no problems planting both feet securely on the ground when stopping!

At your height (my son is that tall) I'd be considering one of the DR Suzukis or similar road legal dirty bike - they will have a naturally taller riding position that sill suit and give you the option as a learner of exploring more than a pure street bike.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by startingsomewhere View Post
    Hi,
    Have done some searching for possible options and now looking for advice to help narrow it down.

Ninja 250 / 300
    Suzuki gn250 / gs500

Looking for a cheap leanrner bike (2nd hand), not bothered about old / new, have a fair diy understanding of mechanics,
    I've ridden all of the aforementioned bikes except for the hornet. I have to say that the majority of them would probably be too small for someone of your dimensions. I'm five foot nine, and some of those bikes felt on the small side even for me.

You might be better looking at a Versys 300-x or similar. But, it depends on what riding you are planning on doing and what your budget is (not that I recommend spending heaps on a learner bike anyway - 95% of people want to upgrade when they get their full licence). However, my main recommendation would be to make a list of bikes and then go to some bike shops and sit on them and see how you feel.

There's a really useful site, http://cycle-ergo.com, that will give you a rough idea about how well a bike will fit you, but if you're totally new to biking then it'll be tough to know what will work for you without a real world benchmark to compare against.

One thing that I would recommend is making sure that the bike has room to move around on though, especially if you plan on doing any kind of long distance riding.

Finally, here's a really good overview of the different options available and the things that you should be thinking about (the guy in this video is also six foot three):
    https://youtu.be/7g1R_LD0yyY

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Yeah... that's a toughie. Most of the learner bikes you've listed would suit shorter riders. As Allan said, definitely test ride (at least test sit) before making any decision.

I'd actively avoid the Suzuki GN. Cheap as chips to buy and run, which also describes the performance, handling, suspension, braking etc etc. Also CF Motos are probably best avoided, and Hyosungs, well, sometimes you do actually get a good one...

I just had a quick look at the LAMs list and can only wish I could go back in time and do my learner's from a choice like this. There are 650's in there!! Which is a good thing (in many ways) but for what you want, maybe that's the place to start... bigger cc's tends to be built for taller and larger riders.

There's a lot of variety so the bike choice starts depending mostly on what you like the look of and what sort of riding you'll start out doing.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    Might I suggest you look at a LAMS Ninja 650/ER6f or ER6n; or CBR500R CB500F. As you're going to be riding it for the next 12 to 18 months at least, park your bum on one and tuck your knees to the tank.

I found this, Kawasaki ER6nl in the Bay of Plenty https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...e887da57cdf35e
    Last edited by Hoonicorn; 13th October 2018 at 19:29. Reason: added trademe find

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Ninja 650 as mentioned would be a suitable fit size wise.

Best advice really is go and sit on a few at some bike shops - different people have different levels of comfort - I have friends shorter than me that don't ike being hunched over on a sports bike, but its never bugged me at all and I feel quite comfortable.'

Do remember that if you really like something that ALMOST fits, you have options like adjustable rearsets and bar risers.

The bike ergonomics link posted above will be worthless to you until youve actually sat on a few bikes for reference

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    LAMS approved KLR650 suitable for a tall rider, not overly powerful but 40hp is enough to have a really good time. Off road (not hard core trail) capable.

Can be a little top heavy if you fill the tank right up.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...92e359700189c7

although the aftermarket muffler could disqualify it from LAMs
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    BMW G310GS (not G310R). Seat height is 835mm. Ergonomic setting is good for tall riders.

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    I'd second the KLR650. I'm 6'5 115kg and been riding for 40 years. In that time I've owned everything engines size wise from a GP100 up to a Rocket III. I currently own a Goldwing, Thunderbird 1600, XL250 and KLR650. The KLR is the only bike that has truly fit me and is comfortable for all day riding. It's not the most powerful but has more than enough for our roads. Especially if you want to keep your licence. It's also amazingly good value at under $9k new. The DR650 is another worth looking at but I found the seat gets to feel like a plank very quickly.

As others have said. Take your time and sit on plenty of bikes before buying. Be especially careful not to buy anything that may cramp your legs. Nothing spoils the fun more than coming to a stop after a nice long ride and falling over because your legs give way

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-802L using Tapatalk

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I'm in the trailie camp. Versatile, reasonably tough and a good fit for a stretch, I'm 6'2 if I don't shower for a few days. They also allow for "Wonder whats down there?" excursions.

CRF 450L is probably LAM's. $$$
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I am 6'4"
    Some good suggestions already
    The KLR and DR are good options, also BMW F650s (older ones, the fresher ones are actually 800cc Non-LAMS bikes). THe BMW tends to be a lot more comfortable than either the KLR or DR
    The Honda CB500X variant is a really good option, especially for the 18months - 2 years you will be on your learner/restricted. Lots more of them around now in the 2nd hand market.
    I have ridden the Kawasaki 650s and they do not have anything like the room of the Honda or the dual purpose models suggested. Great bikes though.
    Depending on the $$ you have available there are LAMS versions of the VStrom 650. Brilliant value for money and one of the most comfortable seats ever.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Old Bikes
    I’m 6’ 2” and 90kgs. Seat height is one aspect. Legroom is another. The amount of wind you catch is a third.

While I own road bikes, my best fits are the KLR and the early BMW F650’s as suggested above.

If you want a road bike maybe get a cruiser with highway pegs. That wouldn’t be a GN but might be an older Virago or Intruder.

To defeat the wind you’ll need some cc’s

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    The taller people I know who have started riding recently have chosen bikes like Kawasaki KLR650s and Aprilia Pegasos, just to get the seat height they're comfortable with.

I'm 6"1' (and rather rotund) and learned on an old Kawasaki GPX/EX250. Ultimately not that hard to fit on despite being dwarfed by my superior mass, and these days I fold myself onto my Ducati with ease.

Go and sit on a few and see what you're comfy with. You might be surprised
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    xtz125!!!!

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by startingsomewhere View Post
    Hi,

Ninja 250 / 300
    Suzuki gn250 / gs500

I am a similar sized rider to you and I started on a VTR250. Moved to a DL650 now. I was comfortable enough to spend all day riding on the 250, but did look a little big for it. Now that I have the bigger bike (adv style) I love the riding position, and the extra leg room. If I had to go back to the VTR I would still be happy with it, but much prefer the DL. As such my recommendation would be to look for one of the LAMs V-Stroms. There don't seem to be many in the 2nd hand market, but Suzuki NZ have them new (as well as the Strom-250, which I think is meant to have a similar seating and is much cheaper). Most of the ones I have seen were ex-lease so were high k's but I think well looked after (with a couple nice after market bits). And weren't wildly expensive. New though they might be out of your budget range.

In general I would suggest looking to adventure/dual sport bikes as a taller rider. Things like the KLR650 etc. They tend to be a bit taller, and fit the bigger rider better. Also think about type of riding you want to do. As a new rider you may not know yet what you want from a bike, but choosing a compatible style can mean you end up more comfortable (i.e. I went for the Strom over the KLR as I won't be doing much off-road serious stuff, and wanted better road manners that might suit pillioning).

Thread Information