Thread: Finally bought my first bike!!

Bike
    2007 Suzuki VL250 Intruder

Finally bought my first bike!!

Hey there everybody,

I have been a member for quite a while now and have been researching getting my first real bike - not a scooter.

I am happy to say that yesterday I bought a 2007 Suzuki VL250 Intruder. I love it!!!
    I love the sound it makes and I love the cruiser style.

There is a couple of things I would like to help improve it for me though.
    First: I want to fit a pack rack but I don't want to pay $350 for a Ventura system from Dold. Does anybody know of a cheaper company that makes them for these bikes?

Second: I would like a screen on the front - I live in New Plymouth and it is quite windy down here. I rode for about two hours on the open road yesterday and my body/head was getting quite a beating. It was actually less enjoyable than I thought. I was absolutely fine around towns though. Maybe it is just the windy weather we had yesterday? Will my neck muscles strengthen soon to compensate?
    If anybody has fit a screen on one of these, which one did you get and do you have a pic?

Well anyway - hi everybody, and any help would be appreciated!!!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    There are a couple being wrecked on Trademe - as the seller if they have either item.

The screen will be generic - several options out there from bike shops (new) or again troll TM for something you could adapt if you are so inclined.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Welcome!

Buffeting: I'd say keep riding for another week or two and see how you feel then. You will find that the body adjusts to the bike after a while. Yesterday was very windy BTW, I was riding the bays around Wellington and had to force myself to ignore the wind and just ride through.

Lots of cruiser riders fit windshields but lots don't... very much down to individual preference driven by experience.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    The Intruders look nice! A windscreen is only gonna help with head-winds, you're going to get battered on days with strong winds. Any day where the wind is gusting over 70km isn't going to be a relaxing ride, that's why some people don't advise riding in strong winds.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Windscreens just mean more to catch the wind gusts ... from any direction ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    motocompo
    You bought a bike you lean back on while travelling forwards into the wind, spotted the design flaw yet?

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Congratulations. You’ll always remember your first bike.

Screen on a cruiser could be a liability in the wind. They do influence the way the bike gets knocked around. You’re not going to be able to tuck in behind it really either. Think small wind cheaters rather than big sails. You’ve only got a small engine to push a big surface area.

Your body will adapt to the buffeting. It’s just a matter of getting ride fit. Two hours in the wind is a long time.

It’s a cruiser. Cruise...

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post
    Hey there everybody,

I have been a member for quite a while now and have been researching getting my first real bike - not a scooter.

I am happy to say that yesterday I bought a 2007 Suzuki VL250 Intruder. I love it!!!
    I love the sound it makes and I love the cruiser style.

There is a couple of things I would like to help improve it for me though.
    First: I want to fit a pack rack but I don't want to pay $350 for a Ventura system from Dold. Does anybody know of a cheaper company that makes them for these bikes?

Second: I would like a screen on the front - I live in New Plymouth and it is quite windy down here. I rode for about two hours on the open road yesterday and my body/head was getting quite a beating. It was actually less enjoyable than I thought. I was absolutely fine around towns though. Maybe it is just the windy weather we had yesterday? Will my neck muscles strengthen soon to compensate?
    If anybody has fit a screen on one of these, which one did you get and do you have a pic?

Well anyway - hi everybody, and any help would be appreciated!!!
    As the others have pointed out a windy day on a bike is just that, a windy day. Cruisers (By which I mean your feet are forward of your hips) make headwinds more noticeable anyway. Screens are a funny thing and end up being very much to individual taste. Generally go for a small/low screen or a high/large one so that you don't end up sitting in the bumpy/turbulent air coming off the top. Sadly it's a case of trying one and seeing what it's like for you.

If you can get hold of a Ventura rack second hand then that'd be your best option. They aren't cheap but are great and the bags last a long time. Plus they are easy to attach and they don't add to the width of the bike either.

As for enjoying your ride - Remember that some days are better than others. My Harley Sportster only really makes sense when the sun is out and I don't have a deadline. The Intruder will probably feel similar being a cruiser and all. Above all enjoy just being out there, soaking up the sensations which you don't get with a car and feeling alive. It's always about simply being out there and making the most of this fabulous passion we call biking.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    You bought a bike you lean back on while travelling forwards into the wind, spotted the design flaw yet?
    He bought a motorcycle and didn't like the wind factor ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2007 Suzuki VL250 Intruder
    Thanks everybody for the advise!!
    I will keep an eye out for a second hand Ventura pack rack because I can't find any other company that makes them. If I can't find one in the next few weeks, I will have to splurge and buy a new one.

I won't get a screen just yet. The weather has been better the last few days and it is a hell of a lot better riding in less wind.
    I guess it is just that it was my first ride and I was riding for two hours in gale force winds and rain.....

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post
    Thanks everybody for the advise!!
    I will keep an eye out for a second hand Ventura pack rack because I can't find any other company that makes them. If I can't find one in the next few weeks, I will have to splurge and buy a new one.

I won't get a screen just yet. The weather has been better the last few days and it is a hell of a lot better riding in less wind.
    I guess it is just that it was my first ride and I was riding for two hours in gale force winds and rain.....
    If you can try to ride a few different bikes which do have screens fitted. All you have when it comes to screens are your own perceptions/thoughts.

You always remember your first bike - Enjoy it

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    hey matey, you could always just get yourself a tank bag to begin with if your looking for cheap luggage options. or buy the ventura pack rack mounts (new ones) them pickup a used rear rack (theyre everywhere)

shame your 1st ride was tainted by strong winds, just persevere, other days will be far more pleasant and over time youll get used to wind...and rain and the elements in general
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Thread Information