Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youshop - Argh!!!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Youshop - Argh!!!

So - Almost 2 months ago I set up a Youshop account so that I can buy bits from Revzilla and get them sent to NZ.

I buy a seat and a replacement battery for my Harley 48.

And wait...

And wait some more...

Finally I contact Youshop to inquire after my items. They counter by saying that I need to choose any option for customs clearance. Note nothing has been communicated to me about this at any time in the past.

Finally after a number of e-mails. Oh and another $203 for good measure the items arrived on Saturday morning. The seat is fine.

The battery doesn't fit...

Cue outrage (I can't send the battery back as it now has electrolyte in it - Just to add to the frustration).

What a waste of time, money and opportunity.

Rant over - I feel a bit better now

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    The battery doesn't fit...

Cue outrage (I can't send the battery back as it now has electrolyte in it - Just to add to the frustration).

What a waste of time, money and opportunity.

Rant over - I feel a bit better now
    that's got nothing to do with you shop, they didn't provide the wrong part, and if you'd brought locally you could have exchanged it easily

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Fuck why go to that trouble for a battery which is easily sourced locally? Even the seat probably could have been gotten here.

I only buy overseas when I must - old Honda parts mainly, if Econohonda/Anaconda can't help - too much fucking about otherwise.

I take it that they have now scrapped the "We cant be bothered if we are collecting less than $60" rule?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I thought Youshop had improved recently.

No changes have been made to GST collection on imported goods. If we follow the Aussies, the GST will be collected when you pay - have a look at eBay Oz. I doubt anything will change at the border, as it's just not economic and Customs have more important things to do.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I thought Youshop had improved recently.

No changes have been made to GST collection on imported goods. If we follow the Aussies, the GST will be collected when you pay - have a look at eBay Oz. I doubt anything will change at the border, as it's just not economic and Customs have more important thigs to do.
    Youshop charged me GST on something which would not have attracted GST if I'd used Fedex or something. They also had a couple of extra handling fees. I used them quite a lot in their early days, I won't use them again.

Cheers

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    why would you use youshop when revzilla only charge 35.00 us to ship to nz

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    why would you use youshop when revzilla only charge 35.00 us to ship to nz
    Because when I tried to put the NZ address into the checkout form computer/website said 'No'.

As for sourcing locally - Yep, lesson learned. You live and learn I guess.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Because when I tried to put the NZ address into the checkout form computer/website said 'No'.

As for sourcing locally - Yep, lesson learned. You live and learn I guess.
    maybe because of the battery,

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    maybe because of the battery,
    Probably, because some things and brands aren't allowed to be exported to certain countries.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Probably, because some things and brands aren't allowed to be exported to certain countries.
    I read their conditions and batteries is one thing they can't export. as for brands, thats not a problem i have had out of the states but i have when trying to buy sprayguns out of europe, that was a effen nightmare but worth it to get what i wanted instead of the overpriced stuff i could source in NZ

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    No idea how the battery was shipped here. Maybe because the acid was separate, but on its own would be classified as dangerous goods anyway. Weird.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    I read their conditions and batteries is one thing they can't export. as for brands, thats not a problem i have had out of the states but i have when trying to buy sprayguns out of europe, that was a effen nightmare but worth it to get what i wanted instead of the overpriced stuff i could source in NZ
    I know Revit gear can't be exported to NZ out of US by the merchants. But that's when Youshop comes handy. Just an example.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    While on this subject my main grizzle is the amount of freight cost involved in buying out of Merica-sometimes more than the actual item-recently I bought a whole bike seat through Aliexpress (which was cheaper than a new cover) the freight cost via China Post Express registered mail was $8-Sure China post are not that quick,but their tracking system is brilliant,similar seats were on e-bay with a freight cost of US$35.I have a mate in Calif who did a bit of investigation for me,by using standard USA postal service,the savings were huge-you just need a mate in USA to stroll down to the local Post Office with your parcel-I guess its the old story,the supplier cant be bothered,a courier calls twice a day to collect all parcels so let the buyer pay the shipping cost.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    While on this subject my main grizzle is the amount of freight cost involved in buying out of Merica-sometimes more than the actual item-recently I bought a whole bike seat through Aliexpress (which was cheaper than a new cover) the freight cost via China Post Express registered mail was $8-Sure China post are not that quick,but their tracking system is brilliant,similar seats were on e-bay with a freight cost of US$35.I have a mate in Calif who did a bit of investigation for me,by using standard USA postal service,the savings were huge-you just need a mate in USA to stroll down to the local Post Office with your parcel-I guess its the old story,the supplier cant be bothered,a courier calls twice a day to collect all parcels so let the buyer pay the shipping cost.
    Fuck yeah. I was going to buy a repro Honda CB750 seat from dAvid Silver Spares. 90 quid (cheap but OK for my bike) but they wanted another 90 quid to ship it. Usually they will do Royale Mail but not this time.

Luckily I got one here in the end.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    For a long time, USPS (US Postal Service) was the cheapest option for sending smallish items from the US to NZ. They are usually reasonably quick also, especially from the west coast. Most companies don't use them as they ship using UPS or Fedex within the US, and don't want to use someone different for international.

But UPS and Fedex now offer an international service that uses NZ Post for delivery in NZ, like USPS. Partzilla use this, although it can be a bit slow. I note that MyUS.com also offer the same service as a low-cost but slower option to their normal international freight.

Quite a few places offer flat rate shipping to NZ now, e.g. Revzilla, although there's a long list of items they won't ship internationally. MyUS.com charge by weight only so they are good for bulky items. It definitely pays to look at the options.

Thread Information