Thread: Starter motor died

Bike
    Suzuki VL250LC

Starter motor died

Hi All,
    my first question... sorry if it is too stupid I couldn't find anyone around who could help with the answer
    My starter motor has died and when I opened it I was a bit shocked. It was full of oil and other creamy stuff, my questions are:
    1. Should starter motor have that much oil inside? I guess not.
    2. Should the chamber (sorry don't know its name ) where starter motor attached have much oil inside and some strange white-creamy substance inside?
    3. Does it worth disassembling the whole thing around that "flywheel-gear" and check?

The bike is Suzuki VL250, 2008.

Thanks very much in advance for any help

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Mate,

1. As a rule starter motors don't contain oil at all. Oil in a starter motor comes from somewhere outside of the starter casing. Probably the primary case which should contain oil.

2. The primary case is on the left of the bike as you sit on it. Down by the gear shift. It contains the primary drive from engine output shaft to gearbox input shaft. There'll be a clutch in there as well. Not sure about your bike but starter motors tend to engage gears and stuff in that vicinity. That's where they do their work.

The white creamy stuff is probably emulsified oil, ie a mix of oil and water ( condensation) all blends up into a foam. Not uncommon but it shouldn't be inside your starter motor housing.

Get a can of contact or electrical cleaner and flush out the starter housing and the armature ( the shaft with the bulbous cooper windings on it). Reassemble and lightly lubricate any metal bearing surfaces. Nylon or plastic may need to be left dry. Not sure about your bike.

Then look to whatever seal is between the starter housing and the primary when you bolt the two back together. That's the only place I can think of that would allow oil to get into your starter.

Post some pictures eh? Makes it easier for us all.

Bike
    Suzuki VL250LC
    Hi Ginge09,
    Thanks heaps for the extensive explanation I guess you're right about water... the bike was sitting outside during the whole winter so could get some water
    As for the pictures, I'll try to take some tonight... just wondering that I probably have to clean that whipped cream out before I install a new motor.
    Thanks.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Don’t replace the starter motor until you’ve cleaned it out. It might still be good. Flush it with contact cleaner, let it dry then connect the leads to a battery. If it motors it’s probably okay.

Wouldn’t be too fussy about the gunk In the primary unless it is really bad. Wipe the worst of it out with a rag. New oil might be the story.

There must be a stuffed seal between the primary and the starter for oil to have been thrown into the starter body. That might be the only bit you need to replace.

Bike
    Suzuki VL250LC
    Hi,
    Hmmm, that's really strange I don't receive any notifications when you reply should check the forum more regularly.

So, I disassembled my starter motor immediately after I remove it from the bike, I don't think it is repairable as lots of rubbish just came out when I opened it. All brushes are dead and the holder (where brushes sit) is broken too. I ordered a new motor off eBay damn it will take ages to get it but I've kept the old motor anyway.
    Also I decided to disassemble the generator box so I opened the lid and was shocked, the bottom of that chamber was full of that white greasy milky oil/water stuff at least 2cm of that stuff... so I carefully removed the generator and cleaned everything including a mesh filter. Now it is shiny and neat, I've put everything back with the new gasket of course and now just waiting for my new starter motor... I guess I'll get it closer to the next winter

Cheers!

Thread Information