Thread: Noob question concerning hubs, spokes etc...

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie

Noob question concerning hubs, spokes etc...

I have a set of near mint Excel wheels with Talon hubs and stainless spokes. These were fitted to a KX450F motard previously. Now would it be possible to fit my Talon hubs (bearings, spacers, collar) for my XR650R to these Excel rims and stainless spokes? Are spokes reusable is what I'm really asking?

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Theoretically possible assuming spoke length and spoke count is the same for both rims.

In reality it would be a pain in the arse undoing each individual nipple. Being stainless they may have galled in the thread. Also the spokes will have been ground back flush with the nipples on the inside of the rim. No guarantee your new rim needs the same length.

I doubt a bike shop would agree to do the work. Better off to get new spokes and have a go yourself. Wheel building isn’t that hard.

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginge09 View Post
    Theoretically possible assuming spoke length and spoke count is the same for both rims.

In reality it would be a pain in the arse undoing each individual nipple. Being stainless they may have galled in the thread. Also the spokes will have been ground back flush with the nipples on the inside of the rim. No guarantee your new rim needs the same length.

I doubt a bike shop would agree to do the work. Better off to get new spokes and have a go yourself. Wheel building isn’t that hard.
    Cheers. Yep may be an opportunity to get my hands dirty and learn a new skill.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMasterJ View Post
    Cheers. Yep may be an opportunity to get my hands dirty and learn a new skill.
    Do the spoke count first ... make sure the rim and hub need the same number of spokes ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Old Bikes
    ...then nip down to your local bike shop and spend $20 on a proper spoke wrench. Cycle shops have them as well. Don't fart about with a crescent or tiny ring spanner. Angles are all wrong and you'll round off the flats on the nipples.

I'd then do a few spokes and see how it goes. Lubricate yourself with beer.

Measure the offset from the rim outer edge to the hub on the original set up before you start undoing stuff or you'll end up riding in circles.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Building wheels is like welding IMO: deceptively simple looking, but way harder to get right than a skilled person makes it look. A lot is in the feel and experience. I don't build my own pushbike wheels - happy to let someone good do it, and if I rebuild my CB750 wheels I will pay someone to do those too. But OP should totally have a crack - and if any good can do mine too!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Old Bikes
    I’ve done four motorcycle wheels. Not sure I’d be keen to do a bicycle wheel. Longer spokes, more pliable rims.

It is time consuming but quite rewarding. Once you’ve done one or two it becomes pretty straight forward. Requires beer and good music.

Thread Information