Thread: 06 GSXR 750 Battery drain & R/R

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750

eek 06 GSXR 750 Battery drain & R/R

Hi team, Need some assistance long story sorry!

Bought myself a K6 GSXR 750 a few months back and has been a brilliant ride until the last few weeks, First off the battery ran flat after I hadn't ridden in a week so charged it up and all was fine on a 2hr ride, then I had it on charge for the week just to make sure it was ok and the bike started fine so went out for a spin, stopped for fuel and it was flat again managed to jump start the bike and went for a ride, about 45mins in and I noticed the dash had frozen so tried to leg it home and it dies on me.
    Managed to get it back home and the R/R is fried, the Stator is also making a whistling noise but it is outputting the correct voltage.
    I've ordered a new R/R and probably will get a new Stator just in case but the issue now is that I have a battery drain of 12v on the Fuel fuse wiring, I'm no dummy with bikes and electrics but cant for the life of me find where the fault is, I have checked all the clips for the injectors, lights, and anyone I could see after removing the airbox and fairings, only way to stop the drain is to pull the Fuel fuse.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Change battery. A decent battery wouldn't go flat after a week. A gympie battery will cause overloads on your charging circuit and can take out your stator and rr.
    Check a wiring diagram to see if you're checking the faulty circuit correctly.

My money is on the battery.

High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Change battery. A decent battery wouldn't go flat after a week. A gympie battery will cause overloads on your charging circuit and can take out your stator and rr.
    Check a wiring diagram to see if you're checking the faulty circuit correctly.

My money is on the battery.

Yep new battery, R/R and Stator have been ordered but I've still got the strange drain which a new battery won't fix I think as it does go away when I pull the fuse.

When the battery is charged the bike works perfectly as well!!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by simon791 View Post
    Yep new battery, R/R and Stator have been ordered but I've still got the strange drain which a new battery won't fix I think as it does go away when I pull the fuse.

When the battery is charged the bike works perfectly as well!!
    This is a drain when the ignition is off? What runs off that fuse?

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750

Thumbs up

Ok multimeter ended up being fried which is why it was giving a strange output!
    Awaiting on the new parts and will update once installed!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Ok multimeter ended up being fried which is why it was giving a strange output!
    Awaiting on the new parts and will update once installed!
    Does it have a fuel pump ... ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Does it have a fuel pump ... ??
    That's what I was thinking.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Sounds like the dreaded k6/7 RR meltdown issue. Very common. You should be able to check if your stator is ok using the measurement values in the manual. if you replace the RR with another factory RR, it will happen again due to the location of the RR right behind the radiator. I suggest you get a quality MOSFET RR from the states and delete the RR plug for solid wiring and relocate the RR for better cooling.[and replace the battery] No more problems. If you dont have a factory manual, I have one on CD you can have for $10. PM me if interested.

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Sounds like the dreaded k6/7 RR meltdown issue. Very common. You should be able to check if your stator is ok using the measurement values in the manual. if you replace the RR with another factory RR, it will happen again due to the location of the RR right behind the radiator. I suggest you get a quality MOSFET RR from the states and delete the RR plug for solid wiring and relocate the RR for better cooling.[and replace the battery] No more problems. If you dont have a factory manual, I have one on CD you can have for $10. PM me if interested.
    Yep that's what I reckon, I have made up a bracket to move the R/R to the side for better cooling. Decided to replace it all just in case so new R/R, Stator and battery.
    Thanks I've already got the manual.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Yep that's what I reckon, I have made up a bracket to move the R/R to the side for better cooling. Decided to replace it all just in case so new R/R, Stator and battery.
    Thanks I've already got the manual.
    If you test your existing stator using a multimeter, using the ohms value range from the manual, and it is within range, you will be fine. Still, better safe than sorry!

Thread Information