Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : French road racer in New Zealand had questions !

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R

Project : French road racer in New Zealand had questions !

Hi everybody,

I'm a 32 french road racer. I would like to come in New Zealand in 2019 with my family to race on the Cemetary circuit. My project is not very simple... My friend Fabrice Miguet expected to come this year, but unfortunately, he died at the Ulster GP in July. His dream was to race a french motorcycle, named "Voxan" in your country. As he was my "Road Racing Father", I would like to achieve his last dream, but I really don't know how to do !
    I have many questions, and many ideas, looking for contacts, but first :
    - Do you know if somebody has a Voxan in New Zealand ?
    - Do you know how to send a motorcycle in your country ?
    - Do you know if there is somebody who rent, officially or not, a road legal side-car, or could be interested to have a trip with my side-car in France in exchange of a trip with his side car in NZ ?
    - Do you know if there is somebody who could be interested by this "exotic" and 100% french bike ?

In a perfect world, I would like to come for two weeks in New Zealand. As I sometimes work for a french motorcycle magazine, I would like to ride with a side-car to write a wonderfull subject from the other side of the world. I also want to take part to the Waganaui races the 26th december 2019, if it's possible with a Voxan, on the BEAR category. The easiest for me is to rent it in place, but I don't know if there is one in NZ (!), and if the owner could be interested by this. I can have special fairing and parts for this bike, it could be a good opportunity ! Another way could be to come with my bike, but I'm afraid about the cost. Maybe a good solution could be to sell the bike to a collector in NZ... I don't know... The last way could be to forgot the Voxan, and try to rent a 600 supersport in NZ...

Thank you very much for your help, this is the really the start of the project, but it's serious. I'm not a famous road racer, but I rode 5 times on the Isle of Man, TT, Classic TT and Manx GP. I always travelled with my wife and my two children, because motorcycling is sharing for me.

Thank you !

Morgan

Bike
    motocompo
    Bonjour et bienvenue sur le forum.
    I am aware of your friend Fabrice & often saw & stopped to admire his well used Voxan parked at the French encampment at the TT in the lane between Dukes ave & the main toilet shower block.
    I was also aware of his accident & that he had sadly passed away.
    I follow with interest the progress of Estelle & Melanie on the F2 sidecar, as my wife has ridden in a all girl F2 sidecar team in NZ and Australia for over a decade.
    Contrary to my username, I have no idea where you may obtain a road sidecar, but you are obviously aware that we ride/ drive on the other side of the road? I drove in France this year & found it very challenging being on the "wrong" side. I'm sure you would also know that our sidecars are mounted on the other side of the motorcycle to yours, I know that trying to ride a back to front sidecar on the wrong side of the road would certainly make me have a brain bleed, but I'm sure you know your own abilities.
    The best way to get a ride at Cemetary Circiut Wanganui would be to contact an existing NZ race team & apply to ride A fully prepared bike with local support such as Peter Hickman from UK & Kees Enderveld from Holland are doing this year.
    However, right now is not the best time to be asking, as essentially our season is underway as far as planning & preparation go & enough pressure is on team personnel already, with the Suzuki Tri Series kicking off in around 8 weeks.
    If you are at the next TT I can certainly introduce you to the best person to talk to regarding your proposed trip, but I make no promises as to the outcome of any discussion.
    If you do make it to NZ I certainly hope you find us to be far more accomodating & friendly than I found the French to be during my stay there this year. For such a heavily touristed country, it wouldn't harm you guys to make a bit more effort in that area. My French speaking is limited & I think that is the same as having Leprosy when visiting France.
    Au revoir.
    Steve.

Bike
    Exercycle
    There is at least one Voxon in NZ to my knowledge. It's still in Christchurch, as far as I know. It was raced at the annual BEARS Sound of Thunder meeting a couple of times. I didn't hear why it hasn't been back.
    If the original owner still has it, I'd think it's doubtful you could lease/borrow it.
    If you wanted to follow it up, I'd ask through the secretary of the BEARS club. Google Sound of Thunder meeting for the club's email.

Bike
    suzuki
    the cemetery circuit themselves have had a free container coming out of england each year for the suzuki series, far easier than trying to find a bike over here, especially one that specific, additonally they support international riders and would be very interested in the journailist side of your journey too.
    i'd be talking to them
    as for a road sidecar, there'll be a sidecar club over here, talk to them, maybe based at a place called gloriavale by the look of most of their riders?

Bike
    motocompo
    You would be into a Voxan wouldn't you Spyda? It would make a great mate for the Hesketh.
    Anything is achievable, just name your price on the Voxan, it might be quite fun to have tucked away.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    You would be into a Voxan wouldn't you Spyda? It would make a great mate for the Hesketh.
    Anything is achievable, just name your price on the Voxan, it might be quite fun to have tucked away.
    I suspect that's what the owner down here thinks. I do know it has cosmetic damage from being thrown down the road at least once. I suspect it may also have engine problems too from unconfirmed whispers...The problems of finding parts for it may have led to it's being parked up.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I suspect that's what the owner down here thinks. I do know it has cosmetic damage from being thrown down the road at least once. I suspect it may also have engine problems too from unconfirmed whispers...The problems of finding parts for it may have led to it's being parked up.
    Well I'd suggest that phoning the agent & trying to order parts while speaking English would go down like a cup of cold sick.
    I'm probably being a bit mean, but when you do your very best to ask the waiter "may I have a glass of water" in French & he says "why are you asking to sleep in my attic tonight?" You kind of give up.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Thank you very much for all of your answers !
    Things sounds good ! It maybe could be a nice opportunity for this Voxan owner, because I know some guys in the Voxan Club of France, and they know how to have parts. I will try to find this man by the way of the BEAR's association.
    I have also contacted the organizer yesterday, the container also could be a good opportunity.

For the side-car, I'm not affraid by riding on the left side (the true wrong side !!!!!!!!!). It's the same in England, and I drove to this country two times per year, and it's not a problem. Something wonderfull could be to find somebody who would like to travel in France with a side-car, and to exhange our side-car in our respective country.
    I really appreciate your answers, thank you !
    Could you please help me to find the contact of somebody in the BEAR's club, and also a contact of a side-car club, please ?
    Sidecar bob, I will be at TT in 2019, we could meet there ! My full name is Morgan Govignon
    Thank you for your help jellywrestler, I sent an email to the organizers, but I know nobody there.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    If you do make it to NZ I certainly hope you find us to be far more accomodating & friendly than I found the French to be during my stay there this year. For such a heavily touristed country, it wouldn't harm you guys to make a bit more effort in that area. My French speaking is limited & I think that is the same as having Leprosy when visiting France.
    Au revoir.
    Steve.
    Sidecarbob, I don't know where did you travelled in France, but not in the good places ! As you can see, my English is not very good, but a lot of people in France don't speak English at all. And don't forget that you don't speak English, but KIWI, with a terrible accent very far from the english that we learn in school ! However, I think mentality are very specials in France and it depends of the place you are. But there is great people too, with big heart, as was my friend Fabrice. That's why I'm interested by doing something with people who have the same passion, because we can share, and exchange. If you want to visit France next year before or after your TT trip, tell me how I can help you !

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    Sidecarbob, I don't know where did you travelled in France, but not in the good places ! As you can see, my English is not very good, but a lot of people in France don't speak English at all. And don't forget that you don't speak English, but KIWI, with a terrible accent very far from the english that we learn in school ! However, I think mentality are very specials in France and it depends of the place you are. But there is great people too, with big heart, as was my friend Fabrice. That's why I'm interested by doing something with people who have the same passion, because we can share, and exchange. If you want to visit France next year before or after your TT trip, tell me how I can help you !
    Hey Morgan, no hard feelings & thanks for the offer, your English is far better than my French from what I've been told, I wasn't going to let you get away without saying anything about it though because some of them behaved like "proper helmets" having said that, the Belgians took being rude to tourists to a whole new level.
    We drove from Holland to Spain through France, but deliberately avoiding heavily touristed areas.
    The place we stayed the longest was Perpignan, (you're probably going to say that's a shit hole) 13 nights as a base, with day trips by car out to some beautiful places such as my all time favourite, the historic fishing village of Collioure, plus a fantastic day trip in the Pyrenees to Andorra.
    My wife & I do support overseas riders for the Tri Series, Wanganui.
    In the past we have imported Maria Costello, this year we are concentrating on Kees Enderveld again, as he was kind enough to give us a guided tour of Amsterdam & take us for the VIP expierence at Assen Moto GP, and then lend us his car to drive over 5000km around Europe.
    Who knows what next year will bring. I will be working for a team at both the TT and Classic, but it sounds like we both want the same thing, friendships in other countries to make our lives more interesting & fulfilling.
    I will PM you from here on.
    Regards,
    Steve.

Bike
    moped
    Nice one Steve

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Hi everybody,

Well, I start to have some informations... The organizer tell me that a container come every year from England, and I have a price for it. However, I'm still trying to contact a the Voxan's owner in NZ, but I have no answer from the BEAR organizer to try to know who is this man. Do you know if somebody has a more efficient contact ?
    Steve, mail me when you want, I'll be at TT this year !

Morgan

Bike
    suzuki
    As I sometimes work for a french motorcycle magazine,
    how much is sometimes and how much is that worth to them here?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by rustys View Post
    Nice one Steve
    Great to catch you guys at the TT this year. A bit of "home conversation" is welcome relief & well received. Thanks to you & skippy for dropping in on us from time to time, she's almost an honorary kiwi. Sometimes you just need someone to blow off a bit of steam too. thanks for listening.

Bike
    suzuki
    Hi everybody,

Well, I start to have some informations... The organizer tell me that a container come every year from England, and I have a price for it. However, I'm still trying to contact a the Voxan's owner in NZ, but I have no answer from the BEAR organizer to try to know who is this man. Do you know if somebody has a more efficient contact ?
    Steve, mail me when you want, I'll be at TT this year !

Morgan
    have you tried the jails?

Thread Information