Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1997 Hornet CB250

Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono v4 Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Engine rebuild - OK, here's a few quick ideas, no particular order:

Cash is easy to run out of when doing this work, strongly suggest buying tools as the need arises, not trying to guess what you'll need in advance. There'll be a lot of trips back and forth but if cash runs out then the job stops.

6 point sockets are best unless you're dealing with a 12-point fastener. If a 1/2 inch format socket is a bit too big in a cramped area you'll need to run a few 3/8ths sockets and accessories. If the socket won't fit square then stop the job and go shopping, no matter how annoying it is. A ripped up bolt will hold you for a whole afternoon.

CRC / WD40 / PB Blaster - this stuff works but has to soak in and that takes time. Spray the jammed fastener and then give it an hour at least (three is better) before trying to undo anything.

Ziplock bags (Lots of, range of sizes, Stationary Warehouse) for fastener groups and parts. Cardboard works very well for bolt arrangements as discussed earlier. Oiled parts like camshafts need to be in sealed bags or else the oil will evaporate off (if it's apart for months) and then they'll rust.

Labels. Label everything!!

Photos. As above. I've found I get the best results from avoiding flash, that means long exposures and therefore a tripod, see how you go of course.

Storage boxes. Storage space i.e. under the house... the bike's volume is going to expand dramatically as it comes to bits, get things off it and straight into storage, don't litter the work area and make yourself an obstacle course.

Lighting. Make sure you've got good lighting. I painted my garage walls white and put in 6 overhead lights; it's made an incredible difference to what was a cave.

Torque wrench, get one if you haven't already. Some of the cheaper brands (Bahco, Toledo) are actually OK but I'd avoid Kinchrome, if unsure ask around or here.

Fasteners to be torqued: they should spin together to closing by finger and thumb. If they don't then you aren't going to get accurate torques. You may need taps to clean up female threads, male threads can generally be cleaned up with a brass wire brush.

If the manual says to use Loctite, well, that's there for good reason...

Degreaser is good. I've had a good run with the 30 Seconds Automotive stuff (white jerrycan, red fluid, mix with water and give it a few minutes before using). Everyone's got their own preferences.

Impact driver: you will almost certainly need one of these, and a bench with a vise with soft grip jaws, to get the carburettors apart. The screw heads on these are made of very soft steel and have to be treated with great care, a normal screwdriver is quite likely to tear these up.

You can purchase sockets and extension bars, drivers etc individually as you need them, that saves a lot of coin. M10 offer that option these days, it's also possible to do this at places like Repco, Twigg's, Trade Tools, etc etc.

Measuring gear - I've found a good set of feeler gauges, a manual set of vernier calipers, and a 0 to 25mm micrometer invaluable when doing engine work. If you're checking gudgeon pins, pistons and bores you may need transfer gauges and 25 -50, 50 - 75 micrometers etc. Good brands: Mitutoyo, Insize. Stanley is OK only (they do feeler gauges at least) and actively avoid Kinchrome, particularly the digital vernier calipers. They look the business and they're easy to buy but they're awful. Web orders through Trade Tools have worked for me, see how you go.

I imagine that's way more than enough for now... the main bit of advice I'd offer is take it step by step, take your time, never hurry or take on too much at once and you'll get there.
    Excellent stuff, highly appreciate it.

Just wondered, when opening the head of the engine to change the gasket, do I need to get a compression test done or something after this? I assume it is not easy as just opening the bolts that hold the head in, and then removing the seal and placing the new seal on?

In terms of tools, luckily I have a good friend who has a lot of tools, being a mechanic himself so will most likely grab a few tools off of him (ones that I wouldn't usually need or ones that are not worth the spend at this stage).

At present, the air filter is off, the carbs are out and I've taken off the battery and all the electrical stuff from the engine. All that's left to do is take off the nuts holding the engine to the frame and the engine should come off.

Do you think it is safe to leave the carbs out for 2-3 weeks? I plan to have this finished by the end of November, so wanting to take things REALLY slow, although in two weeks I will be able to commit a lot of time to this, however some parts may need shipping internationally so may slow the process down.

p.s. is there an option to add photos to this? would be cool to keep you guys updated

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Oh yeah, to get the cylinder head off you'll need a VERY specific socket for TWO of the bolts.. I'll see if I can grab you a picture of what it is when I get home from work tonight.
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    Oh yeah, to get the cylinder head off you'll need a VERY specific socket for TWO of the bolts.. I'll see if I can grab you a picture of what it is when I get home from work tonight.
    Thank you!!!

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Head gasket: the compression test confirms that you've done it right, but so will running the engine. It's more important to correctly prepare the surfaces of the cylinder barrel and the head, then correctly torque the head bolts. There will be a procedure listed for this in the manual and your friend will have done this stuff before too.

Carbs out: shouldn't be a problem as long as no dirt or grit gets into them. Bag them or wrap them and you'll be fine. Unfortunately the likeliest place for this dirt to come from is off the outside of the carbs themselves... If you're going to clean them, be careful about degreaser, most of the ones I've used will attack aluminium if left on for any length of time. I've had good luck with aerosol carb cleaner, an old stainless steel kitchen bowl, and a paintbrush. I'm not sure about fuel drying into varnish and blocking jets though - I've never worried about it but then maybe I've been lucky.

Photos: yes. See the Manage Attachments tab, scroll down a bit from the text window when posting.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    You will need one of these bad boys..

https://image.ibb.co/dEysVq/pixlr-20181026175412875.jpg

8mm sleeve socket is what some of my spanner wielding chums have called it. I prefer "Skinny Eight Mil Fucker". Two of the bolts are so recessed that none of my 8mm sockets were thin enough to fit in properly.
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    2015 f800gt
    Whereabouts in Auckland are you?

Bike
    Head gasket: the compression test confirms that you've done it right, but so will running the engine. It's more important to correctly prepare the surfaces of the cylinder barrel and the head, then correctly torque the head bolts. There will be a procedure listed for this in the manual and your friend will have done this stuff before too.

Carbs out: shouldn't be a problem as long as no dirt or grit gets into them. Bag them or wrap them and you'll be fine. Unfortunately the likeliest place for this dirt to come from is off the outside of the carbs themselves... If you're going to clean them, be careful about degreaser, most of the ones I've used will attack aluminium if left on for any length of time. I've had good luck with aerosol carb cleaner, an old stainless steel kitchen bowl, and a paintbrush. I'm not sure about fuel drying into varnish and blocking jets though - I've never worried about it but then maybe I've been lucky.

Photos: yes. See the Manage Attachments tab, scroll down a bit from the text window when posting.
    Perfecto!! Thanks a lot

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
    Whereabouts in Auckland are you?
    New Windsor/Avondale

Bike
    2015 f800gt
    Quote Originally Posted by mnishi View Post
    New Windsor/Avondale
    It's the busy end of the year, but I may be able to give you hand every now and then if needed. Have various tools.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
    It's the busy end of the year, but I may be able to give you hand every now and then if needed. Have various tools.
    I’ll let you know. Thanks a lot!

Bike
    Hello everyone,

As this project continues, I have just noticed another issue.

If you could please refer to the photo:

You can see that the handlebar is not aligned with the front tyre. (this thing was low slided, and I bought it from an auction)

I had it checked by a mechanic and he said you can sometimes wiggle the handlebar and it can be put back into alignment; but just wondered if someone can give me some more insight into this? is this true? is it possible to bring back to alignment?

After all this, I do want to have it registered.

Ahh and if it helps. I am no mechanic but the forks do NOT seem bent, have any leak or anything as such. If you'd like a photo, let me know and i can post something.

(I know the bike isn't worth a whole lot, and for me it's not about the money side of things, I am more so passionate to learn all this and just see how things go. Worst come worst, she'll be wrecked but I will not give up toooo easily).

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45285451_694387040960559_5430213631499304960_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	339371  

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    You wont be able to fix the issue until you know what's bent.

To start ... put a known good handlebar on it and see how it looks.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You wont be able to fix the issue until you know what's bent.

To start ... put a known good handlebar on it and see how it looks.
    hey! thank you

I did replace the handlebar, although it isn't high quality, do you think this will suffice?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Yes.

Get manual, check torque settings for triple clamp bolts. Loosen bolts, not fully, just enough so triple clamp is... amenable.

Clamp front wheel with feet and knees, twist handlebars. Use Mk 1 Eyeball and string / plank / whatever between front and rear wheels. You're looking for rear wheel in parallel with front wheel, handlebar tips at equal distances from some datum on the centerline at the rear of the bike. Retighten triple clamp bolts. Recheck alignment post tightening. Done.

Sounds like a big drama but really it isn't, give it a go and let us know if it's been successful.

Bike
    Yes.

Get manual, check torque settings for triple clamp bolts. Loosen bolts, not fully, just enough so triple clamp is... amenable.

Clamp front wheel with feet and knees, twist handlebars. Use Mk 1 Eyeball and string / plank / whatever between front and rear wheels. You're looking for rear wheel in parallel with front wheel, handlebar tips at equal distances from some datum on the centerline at the rear of the bike. Retighten triple clamp bolts. Recheck alignment post tightening. Done.

Sounds like a big drama but really it isn't, give it a go and let us know if it's been successful.
    Wow..I’m over the moon with the amount of info here. Thank you!!!

I’ll get to it this week and let you know.

Thread Information