Thread: Wellington trail bike riding...

Bike
    YZ125

Wellington trail bike riding...

Hi all,

I'm keen to hook up with other riders in the wellington region for some weekend riding. I'm on silver bullet, but would appreciate joining some others while going deeper into Akatarawas etc on more casual basis.

I'm a relatively recent cross over from road to trail biking, so no Graham Jarvis, but not a total nube either.
    I've been riding a yz 125 2s.

Cheers all,

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ruby red is on this weekend so lots of locals there. Personally I hate the Akas but guess ok for learning if you're careful of oncoming traffic. But it does get tough on some trails be careful off beaten path.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Big red vibrator
    Personally i luv the akas, it has everything, especially gnarly single track and hill climbs, but unforgiving rocks and slippery clay are hard on bodies and bikes, keep left and be ready to stop in half the visible distance when on main tracks.
    Get off main tracks as much as possible, people seem to prefer loop tracks and there are a few (neils track up or down depending on skill or tyres) but theres also alot of short tracks that are just as fun. Like a few others i tend to only ride during the week (nice for some i know).
    Some mountain bikers and a group of trials riders have put in alot of effort to open up some old and new tracks so theres plenty to explore, old skid sites and a few rusty boilers in the bush, an old plane wreck pillaged by a local museum and of course the bush and views are spectacular.
    Hydro valley is a good place to hone your skills without getting to isolated. On the main tracks you want hard as tyres like pirellis xtra but in the soft stuff under the pines or in the bush soft fresh rubber is the go, I run my 2nd hand tyres in there because the place destroys them and i dont mind changing tyres, 12psi + and you will still get flats.
    As far as riding with some one im always keen for a ride but joining the kapi-mana club will put you in touch with a good bunch and give access to even more riding area.
    Dont forget to download a permit and map from regional council.

me imagineing how rossi rides a dirt bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8bvQWk_ysc

Thread Information