Thread: Hi and what to do with DR650 Suspension

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, 2017

Hi and what to do with DR650 Suspension

Glad to be on the forum. I just picked up a 2017 DR650 last week after being on a Husaberg 450 for 2.5 years. Other than the extra weight to handle it has been a dream and hopefully many happy miles ahead. Much like the DR650 I am also a heavy guy and as far as I understand the DR can do with with some suspension work. I would like to know if there is anyone or person around Auckland that can help. What has been good budget fixes or does it need a full revamp? I am sure there are some threads but thought as an introduction it’s a good starting point.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    hey jako

welcome to kb, good bike btw but yep they feel a bit budget in the suspension dept! speaking budget, i just dialed up a shit load of preload at the back
    , like about 80mm or race sag (which helped the bike turn in much better) and put heavier oil in the forks and rode it. you could spend money getting getting cartridge emulators installed in the forks and a bit of trickery and a heavier spring to the rear shock no doubt but i havent ridden one with those kinda mods done to comment on how much of an improvement they give
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    DKW
    Join Adventure Riding NZ facebook, lots of members have DR650s, post your question on there and you will get lots of answers on where, if any, to spend your dollars on suspension.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    DRZ400 front end is considered good (better than standard DR, anyway) and not a difficult swap. Look on advrider.com
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information