Thread: Front fork side-reflectors... legally required?

Bike
    2018 Yamaha R3

Front fork side-reflectors... legally required?

Bought a brand new R3 as my first ride, love it. Absolutely killer bike. Only thing I don't like are the big orange reflectors near the front calipers.

Am I legally allowed to remove that and retain its wof passability? I cannot find anything on NZTA Portal about side reflectors. Just want other's experiences before I do anything.

Pic of her for bike tax.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R3.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	339285  

Bike
    motocompo
    Yup, whip them off, they look bloody awful & aren't required for a WOF here.

Bike
    DKW
    Yeah whip them off, they only help confirm a red light runner see you go over their hood.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Paint em glossy black ... or cover them with shiny black duct tape in case you change your mind after a close call from a side-swiper at night.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    You'll have a flat spot that will look like somethings meant to be there - couple of the Yamaha logos like on the tank would look the part in there place.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-3-YA...W8as:rk:8:pf:0
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    You won't see 'em when you're riding. If the function is great - who gives a rat's about form?
    Besides they might just help you be seen at night...and save your arse.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    ... Besides they might just help you be seen at night...and save your arse.
    What's the issue ... ??? there's always ACC to bail his ass out of the shit if it all turns to custard ... right .. ??

Or have I got it wrong again .. ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    What's the issue ... ??? there's always ACC to bail his ass out of the shit if it all turns to custard ... right .. ??

Or have I got it wrong again .. ??
    Yeah. ACC will help with the pain, rehab, retraining, possible new job, etc what can go wrong?

Just like being legally in the right place and having the right of way.....

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    How can you focus on riding with those horrendous looking orange discs on your bike?

Take them off and bin them ASAP!!!

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    An alternative, if you want night time visibility, is go to auxiliary headlights and / or running lamps. You're allowed 2300 lumens above the main headlight and up to 4 auxiliaries, they have to be switched, they have to be symmetrically arranged when viewed from the front and in dipped position. Otherwise you can arrange as suits you.

I've had good luck using the positive line to the horn to power accessories - so far on three bikes the horn has been switched on the ground line, so the positive is always live when the ignition key is turned even if the horn is used.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    An alternative, if you want night time visibility, is go to auxiliary headlights and / or running lamps. You're allowed 2300 lumens above the main headlight and up to 4 auxiliaries, they have to be switched, they have to be symmetrically arranged when viewed from the front and in dipped position. Otherwise you can arrange as suits you.

I've had good luck using the positive line to the horn to power accessories - so far on three bikes the horn has been switched on the ground line, so the positive is always live when the ignition key is turned even if the horn is used.
    Sorted, I have ticked all the items off on this list on my bike. Much better to ride at night

Ran a separate line for the horn just to be safe.

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information