Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper Electrickery

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Cheaper Electrickery

Anybody used either energy club or power shop? Any good? Comments would be welcome.
    Tx.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Anybody used either energy club or power shop? Any good? Comments would be welcome.
    Tx.
    Just swapped to energyclub from Flick Electric because of the recent huge spike in spot prices. Yet to see a bill, but the chief difference between energyclub and the likes of Meridian etc is that you're not tied to a contract. Prices look to be on par with "normal" power retailers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    We were with PowerShop for a couple of years. As long as you're hands on and buy "power packs" on special, there are savings to be had. But the novelty of "shopping" for power wore off after a while and we changed to Flick. That did save some money, but we had someone come to our door and offer a deal from Contact that was just as cheap with a $300 credit and no exposure to spot pricing. That was a bit of a no brainer.

Flick do offer an option for fixed price power, but I suspect it's no cheaper than the others.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    We were with PowerShop for a couple of years. As long as you're hands on and buy "power packs" on special, there are savings to be had. But the novelty of "shopping" for power wore off after a while and we changed to Flick. That did save some money, but we had someone come to our door and offer a deal from Contact that was just as cheap with a $300 credit and no exposure to spot pricing. That was a bit of a no brainer.

Flick do offer an option for fixed price power, but I suspect it's no cheaper than the others.
    Yeah, I don't fancy having to go and buy my power daily either.

Energy club offers you two options. One gives you access to "specials" and the other is flat rate. But I compared bills with their comparison software and it reckoned the savings would be significant. Like $30/month. Maybe I should just try it out. No fees for leaving them. Oh and no exposure to spot pricing either.

What I would like to know is how they deal with line charges.
    At present I am with Genesis, mainly through historical accident. But if I look at how many units I use per month and divide the cost by that number, then at the rate I currently use power, I pay 37cents per unit. This is not fully accurate because my useage varies, there are two rates, one for hot water and another for general useage but the line charges are constant.

IIRC, Energyclub estimates at around 28-29c/unit. But I don't know if this includes line charges.

Verily, 'tis a mindfucker...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    I rang quite a few suppliers and gave them all the same information which was the details of usage etc off my last account and asked one simple question, what would my bill be based on the info supplied if paid in full and on time. it was surprising how big of a difference there was, some appeared cheaper on the outset but when the crunch came they were not. we ended up with meridian with fixed price for two years but no contract as such so if someone else offers a cheaper price we can change. I refuse to lock in contracts that keep you there regardless.

it was interesting at the time that our supplier at the time didn't want to play ball until they had got the notice of change and then they were all over us like a bad smell

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post

it was interesting at the time that our supplier at the time didn't want to play ball until they had got the notice of change and then they were all over us like a bad smell
    All utility companies are like that. It's get fucked get fucked get fucked, by the way I'm leaving and out come the free blowies.

Bike
    77 XL250
    We are with Meridian and the bastards charge the same rate for hot water as normal power. By a remarkable coincidence, all the companies that service our area (in the sticks) charge within a $3.00 per month range.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    [QUOTE=slofox;1131114602] at the rate I currently use power, I pay 37cents per unit.

Lucky you - here in the extreme far north the best rate that I can get is 45.304 cents per kwh.

And completely agree that the two year "here's your non negotiable new price" becomes a blow job after you swap to a new supplier.

Essential service that NZ home occupiers get completely screwed over by the Electricity industry.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Turn everything off and go riding.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    Turn everything off and go riding.
    sounds like a plan, im off to town tomorrow to try find raincoat

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    We are with Meridian and the bastards charge the same rate for hot water as normal power. By a remarkable coincidence, all the companies that service our area (in the sticks) charge within a $3.00 per month range.
    all I was interested in was the number at the end of the bill, don't care about how they get there.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    We need another supplier so there is more competition then the prices would come tumbling down. At least thats what we were told by some dumb fuck politician so they could sell off what our parents paid for and we now pay through the teeth for. In a true democracy we could have voted on that.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    We need another supplier so there is more competition then the prices would come tumbling down. At least thats what we were told by some dumb fuck politician so they could sell off what our parents paid for and we now pay through the teeth for. In a true democracy we could have voted on that.
    Some would claim that we did vote on that.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    Some would claim that we did vote on that.
    Those people might be misinformed. Roger Douglas's right wing economic reforms were sprung on the country from a supposedly left leaning government. I'm sure there were hints of what might come prior to the election, but Labour sure as Hell didn't campaign on it.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    As I said, in a true democracy we would have voted on it. The policy. Not a binary choice of a party to make all our important decisions in advance.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information