Thread: A ignorant italian is coming...

Bike
    Yamaha tdm900

A ignorant italian is coming...

Hi,i am a ignorant italian and my english is horrible...so to write here it’s for me very hard.
    I’m 42 years old and i live in biella (near Torino and the Alps)
    I will be in New Zealand for 4 week with my wife, we will rent a motorbike in date 15 gen. in christchurch
    Will be our second time in NZ with the motorbike and we want come back in some place (like West Coast or Danseys Pass) but we want to see new places, so i have many question to do...is this forum the right page for my question? about molesworth for example, about arthur’s pass etc etc?
    I hope so

Bike
    '08 Wee
    It is probably the best place to ask your question, unless you want to venture into the multitude of different small groups within facebook. Just be aware that some/many of the responses you get may be sarcastic.

While I am at it, I should be in Italy next year. Probably only going to get 1 day on a bike, maybe 2 at a push. I was hoping to get into the Alps, but we aren't booked in anywhere yet. Where would you recommend spending a day riding?

Bike
    Yamaha tdm900
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    It is probably the best place to ask your question, unless you want to venture into the multitude of different small groups within facebook. Just be aware that some/many of the responses you get may be sarcastic.

While I am at it, I should be in Italy next year. Probably only going to get 1 day on a bike, maybe 2 at a push. I was hoping to get into the Alps, but we aren't booked in anywhere yet. Where would you recommend spending a day riding?
    Mountain Dolomiti (passo Giau the best) or the alps between France and Piemonte (Col de la Bonette my favorite pass)
    No mountain , for me, the best in motorbike il Langhe, Toscana (Chianti and val d’Orcia),Abruzzo (Gran Sasso)
    I live in Piemonte, i have friend in al the country...i can write where to go and where (and what) to eat...write me where and when and i tell you the best solution

Bike
    Yamaha tdm900
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post

Of course, tell me when and where and i write the best solution...if you want alps the best are Dolomiti (passo Giau) and the pass between Piemonte (where i live) and France ( Col de la Bonette is the best for me)

If you want i’m in Facebook Roberto Ramarro Mello...i have some interesting photographs and maps, is more speed than here

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    This is a good place to discuss things.

I notice you talk of Danseys and Molesworth, which are not sealed roads, so it sounds like it could also be worth you having a look at adventure riding sites like the one in this link:

https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    husaberg
    Include do the upper and lower Buller Gorge Murchison to Inangahua to Westport
    Go to Karaamea its a dead end road but its worth doing it twice
    Def do the Coastal highway between Westport and Greymouth on the way back.
    Then go on south via the franz and fox glaciers to Haast and then wanaka
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    I had a very good time in the Italian Alps two years ago and again this year - Arabba, Trento and everywhere in between these two, this year was followed by Maranello, Poggibonsi, Bagno di Romagna and on to Venezia before going back to Munich.

So ask any questions you want and there are more than enough good people on this forum to help with good answers.

1. What motorcycle are you hiring?

2. Paved roads or unpaved?

3. Tent or hotel?

4. South Island only or North and South Island?

5. Short [250km] or long [500km] rides per day? Both?

Answers to these questions will give us a good idea of what you are looking for.

Bike
    Yamaha tdm900
    Ok...i try to explain...

At first Merv thank you for the link: is perfect for my questions

About yours questions...

The first time in 2012 we rented a Gs1200 and we went in the north and the south, we visited Bluff and Cape Reinga.We drived off road in Danseys Pass, in Coromandel Forest Park to Port Jackson and from Wanganui to Pipiriki.
    This time we will rent a Super Ténérė 1200, for 3 weeks in hotel and only in the South Island
    Our fixed point:
    We want to come back in Dansey Pass because i want to do it from south to north this time
    First night we sleep in Christchurc , the first night with the motorbike we sleep in Akaroa in Banks Peninsula
    West Coast and Mount Cook: we want to go for the second time
    Glenorchy (first time was raining)
    Arthur’s Pass
    Some not sealed road in the north of the south island (i write molesworth because is the most famous)
    Abel Tasman National Park
    Split Apple Rock

We will book day by day, we want to be free: it is a travel, not a holiday

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    The roads of the South Island make riding a circular route a common result for touring. The route can be right around the whole island or split into smaller circles.
    Each circle can be done in either direction and each circle has one section that is the same as the next circle in the list so you can do ¾ of circle 1 and then ¾ of circle 2 and only miss a small part of the route.

From Christchurch north to Kaikoura to look at the repairs completed as a result of the recent major earthquake, then Inland route to Hamner Springs, Molesworth route to Blenheim, Picton via the Port Underwood Road, Queen Charlotte Drive to Havelock, Nelson, over the Takaka Hill, back to Motueka and then south to Murchison, Westport, Karamea and return to Westport, south to Greymouth via the coastal route, north on Highway 7 to Reefton, continue north on Highway 69 to Inangahua, north on Highway 6 before heading south again on Highway 65 to Springs Junction, east on Highway 7 over the Lewis Pass, Hamner Springs and back to Christchurch.

From Christchurch north towards Kaikoura and then north west on Highway 7 to Hamner Springs, continue on Highway 7 over Lewis Pass to Reefton and then Greymouth. You can ride through Blackball on the western side of the Grey River rather than use the main Highway 7 for the full distance. From Greymouth south on Highway 6 to Kumara Junction, then east on Highway 73 over Arthurs Pass and back to Christchurch. From Greymouth you could also ride through Stillwater, Moana and Rotomanu to get to Highway 73 or south on Highway 6 to Kumara Junction, east on Highway 73 to Kumara and then take the small side road through Greenstone and Mitchells to rejoin Highway 73 and go to Christchurch.

From Christchurch west on Highway 73 over Arthurs Pass to Kumara Junction or Greymouth [see above circle for the two extra small rides; then south on Highway 6 and over Haast Pass to Wanaka, Highway 8A to Tarras, Highway 8 to Omarama, Twizel, Highway 80 to Mount Cook and return, continue north on Highway 8 to Fairlie, Highway 79 to Geraldine and then via 79, 72, 77 or Highway 1 to Christchurch.

Most of the best simple gravel roads/tracks are south of Highway 8 and I have traversed, with much care and caution, almost all of the following roads on a road bike.

From Fairlie go south to Cricklewood, then west through Limestone Valley, Mackenzie Pass Road, south on Haldon Road, south east on Hakataramea Road to Kurow. Danseys Pass is just down the road from Kurow.

This route can be very difficult with rain – from Omarama take Broken Hutt Road to Twinburn, from here you can take two different tracks that both end up at Homestead and from Homestead there are two different roads that will take you to Saint Bathans or to Hills Creek. There was a bridge that had been washed away on the road to Hills Creek but I was able to work my way across the river using shallow crossing areas.

South of Saint Bathans on Route 85 is a small place called Omakau. From Omakau you can ride the Thomsons Gorge Road to Lindis Crossing or Tarras.

Between Ranfurly, Alexandra, Lawrence and Middlemarch there are enough small dirt roads, lakes and tracks to keep you riding for many kilometres.The Old Dunstan Road and the Lake Onslow Roads being the best known.

The main road from Wanaka to Queenstown over the Crown Range is a seriously nice motorcycle road – just watch out for the Traffic Police, the camper vans and the other idiots on motorcycles.

From Cromwell if you ride to Bannockburn and continue south you can turn right and complete the Nevis Road – this can sometimes have deep holes in some of the river crossings when you are on the river flats so if you can’t see the bottom through the water be carefull!

If you go past the Nevis turnoff it is possible to follow the Hawkeburn Road and get to Alexandra.

The area around Queenstown is very pretty, full of tourists and expensive. But it is the centre for most of the adventurous activities that NZ is famous for – jet boating, bungie jumping, white water rafting, sky diving etc. Bring lots of money.

Milford Sound is also a great place to visit – but NOT as a day trip from Queenstown. I did a nice ride that was Queenstown, Milford Sound, Te Anau, Manapouri, Tuatapere, Invercargill, Bluff, the Catlins Coast Road to Balclutha and then on to Dunedin. A huge variety of scenery and a very nice three days riding. More riding than sightseeing. So if you want to see the motorcycle museums in Invercargill and spend the night on a boat in Milford Sound add some more days.

Finally – the weather in NZ is very changeable. The West Coast of the south island can get heavy rain but this is normally only for 1 – 2 days. So if the forecast for the west is bad – stay in the east! If the forecast for the east is bad then go west. From the east to the west is less than 4 hours on a motorcycle.

And remember that we ride on the left hand side of the road.

Thread Information