Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I really want to punch this guy in the face....

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR

I really want to punch this guy in the face....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/108...-a-racist-word

Anybody else with me?

I think this comments sums it up nicely........

"Ban it! I find it is usually used offensively. It is a derogative term and has been for many decades. Would I be in trouble at work or in public if I called non white oeople words that were acceptable in the USA 150 years ago but not acceptable now, to have the extent appeals of great offence are raised if someone dare mention even the beginning letter of the words. Ban it. And do it now."

Bike
    Sold
    Move right along - nothing happening here.

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    Much like the Goblin king, in that if you ignore it, it will cease to exist....

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    perhaps this will assist:

https://maorinews.com/writings/papers/other/pakeha.htm

‘PAKEHA’, ITS ORIGIN AND MEANING
    by Jodie Ranford
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I don't want to punch anyone in the face but whoever gave that twat space needs a kick up the arse.

He refers to a Kiwi fiction writer and nominates Agatha Christie. Dame Agatha was English, Dame Ngaio Marsh was the Kiwi.
    "The game is afoot" though is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and is spoken by his creation Sherlock Holmes. All of which is an indication of how little this turkey actually knows.

RDR2 is apparently an amazing experience and is raking in millions, despite the fact that the people employed to create it were badly treated and some will be living in penury.

The jury is still out on the word pakeha, I was told by a native Maori speaker that it translated as "stink house" which isn't very flattering. I'm not going to get in an argument with Ross Himona though, so while it's not my favourite word I'll just live with it.
    The author of the Stuff article ascribing any dislike of the word to racism is simply ridiculous.

The word 'Maori' did indeed mean normal. Prior to the arrival of Europeans there was no collective noun for Maori, they identified as Ngati Porou, Tainui, Atiawa, or whatever iwi they belonged to. It was only when there were people who were different, that they needed a word to describe themselves beyond just their iwi.

Whatever, the guy who wrote that rubbish is a twat.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    motocompo
    It's the white version of Nigger. I can't stand the word.
    My nationality is not described by a Maori only word.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    It's the white version of Nigger. I can't stand the word.
    My nationality is not described by a Maori only word.
    its not.. actually.
    It's meaning is, effectively "those pale skinned people who came on a boat", or nowadays "anyone not a Maori". It is no more offensive than you calling someone from Australia an Australian.. or calling someone a tourist, or anything else. It is only offensive if it is used in an offensive context, but that is the same for any word describing something.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    its not.. actually.
    It's meaning is, effectively "those pale skinned people who came on a boat", or nowadays "anyone not a Maori". It is no more offensive than you calling someone from Australia an Australian.. or calling someone a tourist, or anything else. It is only offensive if it is used in an offensive context, but that is the same for any word describing something.
    Yeah, see when I was a kid it meant white pig & I believe it still does.
    To me nigga means nice brown person. Can I use that freely now I've cleared up what it means to me?

Bike
    a red heap
    its not.. actually.
    Yes. And Nigger just means black.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Yeah, see when I was a kid it meant white pig & I believe it still does.
    To me nigga means nice brown person. Can I use that freely now I've cleared up what it means to me?
    Well, I was raised up in a small town with a lot of Maori and they always explained to me that it just meant "white people" and they never used it disrespectfully. And if you read the article, if it was used to mean "white pig", it wasnt being used correctly. Either they were pulling your leg, or rarking you up, or they just didnt know and wanted to insult you cuz you pissed them off.. I'd suspect the latter.

You can use what ever term you like to refer to a brown person... but since you know where the word comes from and for what it referred to, i'd advise not to.

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Yes. And Nigger just means black.
    see above.
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    motocompo
    Well, I was raised up in a small town with a lot of Maori and they always explained to me that it just meant "white people" and they never used it disrespectfully. And if you read the article, if it was used to mean "white pig", it wasnt being used correctly. Either they were pulling your leg, or rarking you up, or they just didnt know and wanted to insult you cuz you pissed them off.. I'd suspect the latter.
    You can suspect whatever you like about me.
    I'm not cool with being called a pakeha, that is reason enough for people not to call me that.
    P.s, you sound like you know. where does nigger come from & what does it refer to & why is it deemed offensive?

Bike
    a red heap

You can use what ever term you like to refer to a brown person... but since you know where the word comes from and for what it referred to, i'd advise not to.

see above.
    Nigger comes from negro, which comes from niger, which means black.

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    its not.. actually.

The funny thing is, that if you ask 10 different Maori as to the meaning of "Pakeha" the will mostly likely give you 10 different answers.

When I was at 13, at intermediate, there were 3 Maori guys in my class who used to snigger the word "Pakeha" whenever I would walk past them.

According to them, I should not be offended at this.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Do I care about being called Pakeha?

No.

But then, I don't think people should get all bent out of shape when called names.

I do, however, get annoyed at a certain group who would crucify someone at a moments notice, for using an incorrect/improper/'offensive' terms if they come from one perceived 'oppressive' group to one perceived 'victim' group - who then proceed to defend prejudicial from their preferred 'victim' group...
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    it shouldnt surprise me, i guess, that you guys do not understand etymology of words:
    etymology/ˌɛtɪˈmɒlədʒi/
    noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]

• the study of the origin of words and the way in which their meanings have changed throughout history.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"the decline of etymology as a linguistic discipline"[/COLOR]
      • the origin of a word and the historical development of its meaning.
        [COLOR=#878787 !important]plural noun: etymologies[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#878787 !important]"the etymology of the word ‘devil’"[/COLOR]
        synonyms: derivation, word history, development, origin, source

[/COLOR]
    Whilst the word to which you refer once was used without racism, it now is racist... The word Pakeha has NEVER meant anything racist, according to experts. Some people might use it in a bad way, but it is not generally thought of, in common use as racist. In fact, this is the first bunch of people I've heard of in a long time who think it is.

Its a bit of a laugh really... welcome to 1979.
    ZRXOA #9170

Thread Information