Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet advice

Bike
    2016 Panigale 959

Helmet advice

Right so to make things more difficult lets start:

I am an XS helmet size in most helmets , probably an XXS in HJC based on their charts.

Previous Helmets included HJC RPHA carbon, AGV, and Shark, and a couple of cheap nasty helmet back in the day

Returned to riding after a few years away my last helmet was the Rhpa and the AGV, and I never remember them being loud or noisy or air noise being an issue.

But I got a Shoei GT air.. nice enough helmet, but this thing is loud I mean painfully loud air noise wise even with a neck tube on to block under noise the visor adjusted as tight to the helmet and seals as I can and all vents closed, this thing makes more wind noise than is bearable.

any ideas, and who has better helmets in stock in my size because nobody seems to stock XS helmets.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsannz View Post

I am an XS helmet size in most helmets , probably an XXS in HJC based on their charts.

Previous Helmets included HJC RPHA carbon, AGV, and Shark, and a couple of cheap nasty helmet back in the day

Returned to riding after a few years away my last helmet was the Rhpa and the AGV, and I never remember them being loud or noisy or air noise being an issue.

But I got a Shoei GT air.. nice enough helmet, but this thing is loud I mean painfully loud air noise wise even with a neck tube on to block under noise the visor adjusted as tight to the helmet and seals as I can and all vents closed, this thing makes more wind noise than is bearable.

any ideas, and who has better helmets in stock in my size because nobody seems to stock XS helmets.

Do you wear wear plugs? In my case I won't ride without them.

I had a Shoei helmet for a bit and it too was quite noisy. I switched to Arai and find them quieter. They also fit my weird head shape better...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Sold
    I have a GT Air too and it's a sight quieter than my previous Shoei. However, like Slofox, I ride with ear plugs. Use to have the foam ones but switched to custom moulded silicone ones a couple of years ago. Supremely comfortable and effective. They actually improve the effectiveness of my Sena comms too.

Bike
    I Ride No More

Helmets

Afternoon.

1. GT Air Helmet
    I saw your post re the Shoei GT Air, and agree with your experience entirely.

I had to replace my Shoei Qwest about 2-3 years ago, and would have liked to
    replace like-with-like. But the Qwest seemed no longer available in NZ, and
    thought (after reading some reviews) that the GT Air might still be suitable.

No.

And noticeably noisier than my old Qwest, even given that the pads and foam
    in the old helmet were probably worn / compressed after several years use.

Both old and new helmets had a chin skirt, and I also ride with a neck warmer
    (in order to reduce wind flow up under the chin).

Even riding with custom moulded silicone ear plugs (which I have used for
    years) made no difference.

It just seemed to be a noisier helmet design.

Disappointed ? Yes.

To me , it seems perhaps the helmet vents have been varied between models
    (to allow more / better air circulation), and the consequence has been the
    introduction of more wind noise.

Like you, I adjusted the visor to provide best seal. Little improvement.

I even tried using duct tape over both vents on the top, to try and track
    down the source. And while that did mitigate the wind noise to some extent,
    it just defeated the purpose of having vents to get some cool air into the
    helmet on hot days.

The only other option might be to look at wearing a light-weight balaclava
    inside the helmet.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-balaclavas

Not only do they soak up sweat on hot days, but if wind noise is due to
    clearance between your chin cheeks and the helmet pads, a balaclava might
    help dampen out some of the wind flow. I have used one of these on long
    rides on hot days, and it made a little further contribution in reducing wind
    noise.

2. Helmet Shape

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...nternal-shape/

I found the following website to be useful for identifying helmet brands
    that might suit my head (slightly on the narrow side of "neutral"). Shoei
    was recommended as a good match, even before I started trying on
    helmets.

However, two points to note:
    a. The website is not necessarily being updated with assessments of new
    helmet brand/models. The latest edit date on the website appear to be
    March 2017.
    b. The smallest helmet size advertised appears to be L (Large), which
    I realise does not help you.

If you click on the WEBBIKE hyperlink by the date at the top, it will direct
    you to:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/author/webbike/

and scrolling down the page, brings you to several helmet related links.

I have no idea which of the helmets listed are available within the NZ
    market.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
    Viking

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    I've not personally had any noise troubles with any of my AGVs, they've all been quieter than my old HJC.

It's so frustrating that when you're trying on helmets, you can't do a couple of blocks and properly test them!
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    I've not personally had any noise troubles with any of my AGVs, they've all been quieter than my old HJC.

It's so frustrating that when you're trying on helmets, you can't do a couple of blocks and properly test them!
    Which HJC did you have? Looking at maybe getting one myself to replace an old RJays. Hoping to get something highly sharp rated this time around and there are a couple 5 star HJCs but some of the comments indicate that they may be noisy. I already ride with ear plugs but don't want to bother hunting out lids for a fitting if I am just going to be deafened even with them in.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    I had a Ben Spies replica HJC FS-15 back in 2010. Good lid!

It was a little noisy but I've had/worn worse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hjc_fs15_ben_spies_trophy_helmet_1472716435_cb08bfbd.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	339428
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    2016 Panigale 959
    Yeah I am going to have to shop around it think.

I like the look of a Schubert c3 or c4 but I already have a sena30k. so I'd rather not have to invest in their integrated comm stuff even though it is Sena based.

which leaves me in a dilemma, as having an xs sized head, finding people with xs in stock is a PITA, I really miss my out of date battle scarred AGV, and I miss my old RPHA I had both seemed a lot quieter.

I am just a little annoyed that in less than 2 months since I purchased the shoei I hate it, it whistles badly even with is fully adjusted to try make the visor sit as tight as possible I can still see where the air gaps on the sides of the shield don't line up

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Yeah I am going to have to shop around it think.

I like the look of a Schubert c3 or c4 but I already have a sena30k. so I'd rather not have to invest in their integrated comm stuff even though it is Sena based.

which leaves me in a dilemma, as having an xs sized head, finding people with xs in stock is a PITA, I really miss my out of date battle scarred AGV, and I miss my old RPHA I had both seemed a lot quieter.

I am just a little annoyed that in less than 2 months since I purchased the shoei I hate it, it whistles badly even with is fully adjusted to try make the visor sit as tight as possible I can still see where the air gaps on the sides of the shield don't line up
    They are a bit far from you, to test, but cycletreads had a few of their older model small size lids for decent prices. They are available online, but you obviously can't verify the fitting.

Bike
    xt660r

does the noise change if you tilt your head forward? or even move the helmet on your head so you are looking through the upper part of the visor?

reason I ask, is that I have a Shoei Qwest, and on some bikes it is ridiculously noisy, and on some others it is not. some of that seems to be the sort of bike the helmet was intended for, therefore the shape of the helmet / riding position etc.

as an example, on a cruiser you may be leaning back a little, and so you naturally tilt your head forward so your vision is level, and maybe on a sport bike you are crouched over, so you tilt your head back up into the wind.?

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Most sound-proofing is from the chin curtain and neck-roll

The neck-roll padding could be swapped for a large size, for a snugger fit around your neck.

But what is "loud" really? the Schuberth C3 noise level is 85db which is the same as a food blender.

I have an HJC R-PHA 11 and its quiet enough for city speeds, but I always pop in some ear plugs for high speed / long distance rides.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    I have an Air GT and notice more of a whistling noise than anything else-By pulling down hard on the visor the whistle disappears.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I have an Air GT and notice more of a whistling noise than anything else-By pulling down hard on the visor the whistle disappears.
    Yep, unless you snap it down fast, it stays fractionally open. I'm pretty sure it's because of the pull-back spring at the visor pivot to ensure that it gets a tight seal.

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    My GT-Air is a huge improvement from my cheapy Bell on noise. The reason I bought it was because all the reviews said it was pretty quiet.

The visor on mine clips shut and seals very well. I haven't noticed any whistling except when the visor is open a bit.

I try to wear ear plugs on longer rides, however I still haven't found a pair that are comfortable enough to wear for more than an hour. Maybe custom made ones are the best option.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by cods4 View Post
    I try to wear ear plugs on longer rides, however I still haven't found a pair that are comfortable enough to wear for more than an hour. Maybe custom made ones are the best option.
    I've worn custom plugs for a couple of years and love 'em - perfectly comfortable. Nip over to Rotorua and see Sue Rowles at PlugZ 4 Lugz , 0276591583 . She often travels to bike shows too. From memory, I think I paid $75 for a pair.

Thread Information