Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helmet advice

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by cods4 View Post
    My GT-Air is a huge improvement from my cheapy Bell on noise. The reason I bought it was because all the reviews said it was pretty quiet.

The visor on mine clips shut and seals very well. I haven't noticed any whistling except when the visor is open a bit.

I try to wear ear plugs on longer rides, however I still haven't found a pair that are comfortable enough to wear for more than an hour. Maybe custom made ones are the best option.
    +1 to Blackbird's suggestion. Custom plugs from Plugz 4 Lugz are the best, and a heap cheaper than going to an audiologist. I believe they do a few bike shows and gun events, or are relatively close to you.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I have an Air GT and notice more of a whistling noise than anything else-By pulling down hard on the visor the whistle disappears.
    There is an adjustment procedure for the visor mechanism. The place where you bought it should be able to sort this out for you, or have a look on line.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by cods4 View Post

I try to wear ear plugs on longer rides, however I still haven't found a pair that are comfortable enough to wear for more than an hour. Maybe custom made ones are the best option.
    Have you had your ears checked to make sure the ear canals are clear of wax, etc?

The 3M EARsoft FX is probably the most comfortable foam earplug. NZ Safety Blackwood's should have them. If they don't work for you, then custom earplugs would be the answer.

Here is how to fit foam earplugs properly. Not one of the MotoGP riders does this!
    www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/content/earplug.html

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I've just recently replaced my old HJC with a Shoei GT Air and initially had the same thing - whistled like hell when riding at any decent speed. Most of the noise isn't the vents on top of the helmet, it's the chin vent and the internal drop visor when in the raised position. I habitually use the 3M foam earplugs, which help. I've been out on a couple of decent rides with it (12-ish hours riding time) and either I've gotten used to it or it has settled down somehow. Anyway it seems quieter now.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    A random note on helmet noise. Some helmets are designed primarily for touring, others are designed more for sport. Touring helmets will generally be quieter because sport or racing requires physical exertion which in turn requires cooling and a greater air flow.

Moving air creates noise. So while you may fancy the perceived safety advantage of a helmet designed for racing you will probably have to put up with more noise than necessary. Like many things in life, the more honest you are with yourself as to the intended use, the happier you'll be with the chosen product.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    H

The 3M EARsoft FX is probably the most comfortable foam earplug.
    Couldn't agree more.

I did have a pair of custom mades but I have a narrow ear channel on one side so that one broke after a while.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

I did have a pair of custom mades but I have a narrow ear channel on one side so that one broke after a while.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the 3M EARsoft FX from Blackwoods first, and then maybe get some customs ones from Plugz for Lugz if I still have problems.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    A random note on helmet noise. Some helmets are designed primarily for touring, others are designed more for sport. Touring helmets will generally be quieter because sport or racing requires physical exertion which in turn requires cooling and a greater air flow.

Moving air creates noise. So while you may fancy the perceived safety advantage of a helmet designed for racing you will probably have to put up with more noise than necessary. Like many things in life, the more honest you are with yourself as to the intended use, the happier you'll be with the chosen product.
    its a strange thing this helmet noise.I have a shoei raid 2 and from the very first ride i was thinking....wtf it was never this noisy ??!!!I tried everything bar a new helmet.screen position,no screen,helmet whisper kits,ear plugs,custom ear plugs...I sold the bike in the end....since then it has been suggested it could have been the mirrors,and now this.I can't afford (can anyone) to throww away helmets that cost hundreds because they turn out o be noisy.I am tall ,and doubly tall as i am 6 3 wth a long body...my sitting height is more like 6 5 if you know what i mean,maybe a perfect storm of factors....

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsannz View Post
    Yeah I am going to have to shop around it think.

I like the look of a Schubert c3 or c4 but I already have a sena30k. so I'd rather not have to invest in their integrated comm stuff even though it is Sena based.

which leaves me in a dilemma, as having an xs sized head, finding people with xs in stock is a PITA, I really miss my out of date battle scarred AGV, and I miss my old RPHA I had both seemed a lot quieter.

I am just a little annoyed that in less than 2 months since I purchased the shoei I hate it, it whistles badly even with is fully adjusted to try make the visor sit as tight as possible I can still see where the air gaps on the sides of the shield don't line up
    I've got two Schuberths, a few years old now but a flip front for touring and a full face for classic racing.
    I even splashed out on the headset thinking it would be good to listen to music on the go, but turns out I don't bother.

Full face is WAY quieter than the flip front.
    I have tinitus and even with earplugs I notice noise.
    XS sizes are usually the good buys at sales I've noticed as the 59/60 ones are always gone.
    The search for the perfect helmet.....
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Ducati 944
    Last year I upgraded my HJC LS-10 to an RPHA ST carbon. The internal visor is brilliant, built in pinlock, light, great ventilation, looks great ... but I surprised its the noisiest helmet I've ever ridden. I do like it but think I will see if I can ride the next one on a motorway before buying if possible. And yes, I only ride with earplugs (currently pinlock plugs.)
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Best blast soundtrack:Born to be wild (Steppenwolf)
    Best sunny ride: Runnin' down a dream (Tom Petty)
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Thread Information