Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Auckland to Wellington - which way? time sensititve

  1. #1
    Join Date
    24th September 2008 - 01:32
    Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    3,538

    Auckland to Wellington - which way? time sensititve

    Need to ride a motorcycle from Auckland to Wellington on Saturday.

    Arriving Auckland 8am, pickup bike, head to Wellington. Looks like interislander ferry crossings are departing wellington at 5pm and 830pm.

    looking for suggestions on the best route to take, and estimated travel time to get the ferry.

    any suggestions would be great

  2. #2
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,345
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Need to ride a motorcycle from Auckland to Wellington on Saturday.

    Arriving Auckland 8am, pickup bike, head to Wellington. Looks like interislander ferry crossings are departing wellington at 5pm and 830pm.

    looking for suggestions on the best route to take, and estimated travel time to get the ferry.

    any suggestions would be great
    through taumaranui raetihi wanganui, quicker than state highway one and less trucks and shit, generally the drivers have a higher level of competance too

  3. #3
    Join Date
    13th March 2006 - 20:49
    Bike
    Models starting with either a K or a Z
    Location
    2471
    Posts
    4,396
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    through taumaranui raetihi wanganui, quicker than state highway one and less trucks and shit, generally the drivers have a higher level of competance too
    +1, assuming you're not going to limit yourself to 105km/hr. Jump over the Waikato at Rangiriri and back-road it through to Ngaruawahia for an extra gain.
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    ...people will disagree, call one another an 'egg' or idiot. That's fine.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    24th September 2008 - 01:32
    Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    3,538
    with these routes would I hit the 5pm ferry, or better to play safe and hit the 830 crossing?

    and yes, I will be taking my own, good quality tie downs for the ferry!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    24th September 2008 - 01:32
    Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    3,538
    google reckons 630km, 8 hours, 4 minutes.
    How conservative is a google maps estimate?

    If i do the deal and leave by 9am id only be getting to wellington at 5 as the ferry is leaving.

    Looks like best bet is to take the 830 sailing and take my time?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    13th March 2006 - 20:49
    Bike
    Models starting with either a K or a Z
    Location
    2471
    Posts
    4,396
    If your flight into Auckland Airport is scheduled to arrive at 8am I'd suggest go with the later sailing. Weather forecast looks a bit sketchy and you know, Auckland.
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    ...people will disagree, call one another an 'egg' or idiot. That's fine.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    24th September 2008 - 01:32
    Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    3,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    +1, assuming you're not going to limit yourself to 105km/hr. Jump over the Waikato at Rangiriri and back-road it through to Ngaruawahia for an extra gain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    If your flight into Auckland Airport is scheduled to arrive at 8am I'd suggest go with the later sailing. Weather forecast looks a bit sketchy and you know, Auckland.
    cool, have gone with the later sailing.

    Wont be twisting the throttle too much - new bike, unfamiliar roads and probably drizzly weather - not ideal circumstances for a fun-paced ride

  8. #8
    Join Date
    25th June 2007 - 21:21
    Bike
    S1000RR
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    6,967
    Wise choice.

    And from what I remember check-in close time for vehicles is one hour before departure. So if departure time is 8:30pm then it'd be ideal to be in line ready for check-in by 7pm just to be safe.

    11 hours from Auckland terminal to Wellington harbor... Not bad I think.


    If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    19th January 2013 - 16:56
    Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Location
    The Isthmus
    Posts
    1,449
    Where are you picking up the bike?

    If airport, then onto south-western (SH20) via Puhinui Rd (SH20A), follow that onto Southern (SH1) onto Waikato Expressway. Either off SH1 at Rangiriri or at Taupiri for Ngaruawahi and then western route through to Otorohanga - you pick up SH39 just south of Te Kowhai.

    Good cafés in Pirongia. Think of fueling stops down this route.

    Otorohanga south to Te Kuiti (SH3) and left at Eight Mile Junction for Taumarunui on SH4 ** No fuel between Te Kuiti and Taumarunui and no cell coverage either. Follow SH4 through National Park and down to W(h)anganui. The Paraparas have no fuel after Raetihi and, again, cell coverage iffy. Then south to Wellywood.

    You'll make slow time until south of Drury on the Southern - road surface through Takanini area is appalling due to road construction and after Botanic Gardens/Hill Rd overpass stay in middle lane of three lane section to avoid the forced left lane exit at Takanini.

    Google map: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/-37....a54e01!1m0!3e0

  10. #10
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,345
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    So if departure time is 8:30pm then it'd be ideal to be in line ready for check-in by 7pm just to be safe.
    you sound like a bit of a worry wart, 1/2 an hour isn't even cutting it fine these days, especially n a bike which can be squeezed in pretty well anywhere

  11. #11
    Join Date
    28th October 2012 - 13:59
    Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Location
    thata way
    Posts
    468
    What bike are you getting?, sounds like a good pre summer adventure, good luck wih your trip will keep an eye out for ya.
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

  12. #12
    Join Date
    4th October 2008 - 16:35
    Bike
    R100GSPD
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    9,588
    if its wet and drizzly the parapara may not be the best chouce on a unfamilair bike can be very slippery through there.
    I would seriously consider sh1 except go west side lake taupo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    25th June 2007 - 21:21
    Bike
    S1000RR
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    you sound like a bit of a worry wart, 1/2 an hour isn't even cutting it fine these days, especially n a bike which can be squeezed in pretty well anywhere
    I dunno, just a habit.


    If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    6th June 2008 - 17:24
    Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Location
    Behind keybd in The Tron
    Posts
    6,419
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    if its wet and drizzly the parapara may not be the best chouce on a unfamilair bike can be very slippery through there.
    I would seriously consider sh1 except go west side lake taupo
    Wot 'e said. Specially west side of the lake.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

  15. #15
    Join Date
    5th April 2004 - 20:04
    Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Location
    wellington
    Posts
    13,037
    At legal speeds, highway 1 is the quickest way to do it these days. 1b to miss Hamilton.
    Polemic....look it up

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •