Thread: Helmets and vision

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

Helmets and vision

I've been thinking about replacing my helmet.
    Since I'm looking at a new one thought Id ask some advice from you lot.

Current lid is an RPHA 10 (its a few years old now) which has been fine, comfortable etc, but has had one drawback - vision towards the top of the visor which is two-fold.

I have an R1, so its a fairly aggressive position, in order to get good clear vision ahead, you sort of have to be hunched over with your head tilted back at a slightly funny angle, otherwise your forward vision is a tad limited. This is exacerbated by the pinlock insert, the surround of which partially obscures the upper section of the visor when riding. It's only a minor inconvenience, but ith a new lid required, thought I'd see what options there are.

So ideally im looking for recommendations on a helmet that has a visor with a higher brow line.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    I recently bought an LS2 Arrow R --- which has a nice pinlock and fit for my noggin and vision in a race stance for not silly money

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Shoei RF1200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I was looking at a review on the RPHA-11 recently and I understand the top of the 'hole' has been raised slightly on that model.

Revzilla do video comments etc on helmets and specifically note the expected riding position of each lid - the crouch you find yourself in the yanks refer to as a tucked position. Good reviews, worth looking at if you have narrowed it down to a couple of brands.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    you sort of have to be hunched over with your head tilted back at a slightly funny angle, otherwise your forward vision is a tad limited. This is exacerbated by the pinlock insert, the surround of which partially obscures the upper section of the visor when riding. It's only a minor inconvenience, but ith a new lid required, thought I'd see what options there are.
    I had a similar problem with the AGV K5. On my sportbike I had to crank my neck up to see past the top edge of the helmet. I ended up getting a Shoei Spirit III or whatever it is, quite expensive and quite noisy though.

Cheers

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    If the bike you are riding has a position that makes it hard to see, is it really the right bike for you?

I could wear a size 12 tutu with a 36DD boob tube, but being able to squeeze into it wouldn't make it a good idea. Trust me on this.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    I've road raced with different helmets, from Bell, Pro in the early days and lately HJC (rpha 11 x 2), AGV (2-3 different models), Shoei (1 type) over the last 35 years . As much as anything, it was how I sat it on my head.....ie the angle at which I "tipped" it.

Once thing I also noticed with some racers, is How "high" their helmet sat on their heads - the give away was how much forehead you could see when the visor was open. For some reason, Arai being the most notable. I don't think it was anything special in the design, or the wearer having a tall head! haven't worked it out yet.

Thread Information