Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fogging visor

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries

Fogging visor

Is fogging me off.

So as a fair weather biker this is of little consequence. Except on our annual tour where it seems to rain at least one or two days.

Bloody dangerous not being able to see properly. This helmet just seems more prone than any I've had of the last, well I'm going to say 20 for effect, but there's been dirt and race helmets in the mix so let's just say a dozen road ones. And although the visor has several well defined open positions it doesn't fully clear.

HJC FG17 or something, either way it's coming up 5yrs old so replacement time.

I run dark visors and carry a clear if on tour or night. The clear came with a factory fitted antifog pinlock insert, seemed to work for a while, but got fog in it in the rain one tour. Bought a new one and spent ages cleaning preparing and fitting, tuning the tension. Had to rip it out in disgust some while later.

The HJC midrange helmets have good SHARP ratings, fit great and aren't too spendy. But every year I curse the antifog properties.

Panel?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Grab a helmet with a drop down dark visor , no more carrying either, ive had great sucess with shark helmets and their
    pinlocks work a charm.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    If I notice fogging with the pinlock, its always because it has lost its seal. I usually install it with a seasonable amount of pressure on the pins.
    I generally adjust the cams to about a 3rd then put a soft towel on the floor and put a socked foot on each end of the visor so each end is about
    50mm off the floor, then tuck the ends of the pinlock in the cams and then press the centre down till it pops out against the visor.
    Then grab a thin bit of shiny paper and check around the edge of the pinlock for gaps. My 5 cents
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    An awesome ride in the weekend " The Longest Day", but same issue in heavy rain around the Catlins visibility deteriorated badly. Stopped at Tokonui to sort it and found the water was in between the pinlock and the shield that was causing the fogging. Wiped it out with a cloth and it got me home. My riding buddy also had a pinlock ( a brand new one) fitted on his helmet and when he stopped beside me and was cursing it...had same issue. He took the pinlock right off to get home safely. Jus say'n. We both got Shoie helmets.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Did the Longest Ride to and had shit rain for many many hours my Shark and a mates Shoie were faultless with the pinlocks.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I've not had a issue on very cold days with a series of HJC. Can't attest to shitty wet rides as now days I just polish it when it's pissing down

Did you have the nose shield fitted? These make a big difference.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I bought a Shoei NXR about 2 years ago. I use the nose shield thingy and find the chin vent keeps the visor clear even at low speeds, 20 - 30 km/h. Once over about 60 km/h I can move the vent to the half open position. So I've never needed to fit the Pinlock that came in the box.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, NXR: 4 star Sharp rating, not too bad, same as my HJC. A grand with a dark visor or $850 In plain colour.
    That's a maybe. For that money I'd hope a 5 star.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Have had several pinlocks now and when they are sealed properly they are fantastic. If not tho, they are worse than not having one. Careful setup is the key.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Hmm, NXR: 4 star Sharp rating, not too bad, same as my HJC. A grand with a dark visor or $850 In plain colour.
    That's a maybe. For that money I'd hope a 5 star.
    Yeah, the visors aren't cheap. You should be able to get a discount off retail though, and you'd probably find someone like Boyds would do a visor swap.

HJC's are much better value.

Bike
    ES XTZ

Bike
    2004 SV650S
    Another upvote for Chromeburner. Great service and price
    102° Rx = + /_\

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Grab a helmet with a drop down dark visor , no more carrying either, ive had great sucess with shark helmets and their
    pinlocks work a charm.
    Love having a drop down visor, it is one of the only must haves in my search for a new lid (the other being accept a pinlock, I have felt a lot of envy of my wife's helmet when commuting). The only issue with the drop down visors is that on a bad enough day they will also fog up.

Pinloc do smoked/yellow lenses or photochromic (they call it PROTECTINT) lenses as well now. They all look an interesting option.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    bandit
    I've got a visor spray - inside and out - no fogging and no rain sticking to the outside ...

Check at your local ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information