Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Red Baron closing down

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    So where do you stand on the common case of the business owner occupying a customer car park ?

And I understood you were going to vote with your feet and leave NZ anyway.....
    What, he's not allowed to park on his own property? Don't get me wrong, if I were in retail and customer numbers were limited by parking then my car wouldn't be anywhere near the business. Neither would the employees' cars. That's the point: my property, my rules, if the council wants to make the rules they should buy the property.

Let's just say that if I'm required to pay significantly more tax than I currently do then I will indeed be spending several months a year off shore as a method of minimising that loss. Also, any attempt to impose a wealth tax here will see me move that wealth elsewhere.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    RD350LC
    31st Jan close date. Some new kawasakis going cheapish. Listed on trademe. I asked the parts guy if he had a list of rd / rz parts as was interested in buying some/ all / none. Too hard they don't list their parts like that , I would need to give them specific part numbers......oh dear...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by ojyamaha View Post
    31st Jan close date. Some new kawasakis going cheapish. Listed on trademe. I asked the parts guy if he had a list of rd / rz parts as was interested in buying some/ all / none. Too hard they don't list their parts like that , I would need to give them specific part numbers......oh dear...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    I don't think they carry many parts. Never had anything in stock for the R1 except an oil filter. They do have aftermarket stuff like carb service kits, but genuine parts were always ex-Oz.

I will call in over the holidays and say goodbye.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    5% is too low. Depending on condition and tenant the lowest I've seen is 6% and I told the guy he had rocks in his head.

Here's the thing with commercial property: it has no value really other than what it is returning. So a 5.6M RV really does not mean much. The landlord goes from having an asset whose value is best described (in shorthand) as "rent divided by return" to having a fucking liability because it does not have a tenant. Landlord still has (maybe) a mortgage on it and now has to insure it and now has to pay the rates ... plus any incomer might want work done, or a rent free period or a fitout, or a change of use might mean the council get involved and you argue with them for two years while not earning any income..... Commercial property is a blood sport and not for the faint of heart. It is endlessly fascinating though.
    In that part of Auckland ( and probably others) the rates on the land has gone thru the asbestos roof.
    The Council wants/needs more punters to pay for underground rail, America Cup Villages and so on.
    I'm several KM's from the city and the land value of my 650 metres is 800k.
    We are seeing the first 3 story tilt slab beauties going up nearby
    I have not been to Red Barron for some years, Dick Turpins would have been a better name.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    That silly money for dirt.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    yeah but you're guarantted to have mister whippy through the street three times a week

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    In that part of Auckland ( and probably others) the rates on the land has gone thru the asbestos roof.
    The Council wants/needs more punters to pay for underground rail, America Cup Villages and so on.
    We are seeing the first 3 story tilt slab beauties going up nearby
    I have not been to Red Barron for some years, Dick Turpins would have been a better name.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Red Baron's rates based on land [987m2] value of $5.6million plus a mere $0.4million of improvements.

We're on 574m2 with value $1.475million plus $0.35million of improvements.

As for paying for CRL [underground rail] I'm okay with the council helping government pay for infrastructure that should have been built years ago. But as for the America Cup village, if those rich boys want to sail their yachts in the gulf, then they can pay for the pleasure, plus any business that thinks it will also benefit.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    yeah but you're guarantted to have mister whippy through the street three times a week
    I haven't see a Mr Whippy around here for ages, however the local Gelato shop can do you two scoops in a waffle cone for $7.00.

As nice as that is the local dairy does two scoops of Tip Top in a plain cone for $2.50.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    I tried to go to Red Baron the other day but gave up. Parking is nigh on impossible if you are in a car .

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    But as for the America Cup village, if those rich boys want to sail their yachts in the gulf, then they can pay for the pleasure, plus any business that thinks it will also benefit.

A couple weeks back the Govt put more money into it - Pretty sure it is close to $40 million coming from your taxes to assist the Cup now. Huge money.

And as you say it is a billionaires game.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    What, he's not allowed to park on his own property? Don't get me wrong, if I were in retail and customer numbers were limited by parking then my car wouldn't be anywhere near the business. Neither would the employees' cars. That's the point: my property, my rules, if the council wants to make the rules they should buy the property.

Let's just say that if I'm required to pay significantly more tax than I currently do then I will indeed be spending several months a year off shore as a method of minimising that loss. Also, any attempt to impose a wealth tax here will see me move that wealth elsewhere.
    If you need a referral for tax advice let me know. We've got a guy. Your issue though would be unless you move your assets and your business to a low tax jurisdiction so that your income is earned offshore then your tax residency most likely would be where the income is earned. Oh yeah, those "low tax" places you want to go? vietnam, China (good luck with that) Thailand, Indonesia, Bangladesh etc. All delightful to visit but would you want to live there? Where do you want to retire to? What is it with this Chicago school "all tax is theft" mentality? I've never understood it. In fact, I put it to you that if you are doing well, it is your duty to help others. Let me know and I will shout you a years membership to the Labour Party.

I always say to people dont fret about paying tax, because if you are paying tax you are making money.

I also think it isnt "several" months in my understanding it is 183 days. Or it might be 60. or something - the gotcha here is different tax types have different rules. Its hilarious.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post

I also think it isnt "several" months in my understanding it is 183 days. Or it might be 60. or something - the gotcha here is different tax types have different rules. Its hilarious.
    who come up with a figure of 183 days, sounds like the same clown who offers 57 virgins if you blow up something while wearing a towel on your head?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    only cos the icecream truck is a front for selling meth....

Bike
    Street Triple R
    who come up with a figure of 183 days, sounds like the same clown who offers 57 virgins if you blow up something while wearing a towel on your head?
    its one of the tests in the income tax act for whether you are "resident" in UnZud for tax purposes, and its also relevant in the Residential Land Witholding tax area as well for non-residents. Oh and the other one is the "am I qualified to buy property in UnZud" which is three different regimes that use the same or a similar test. I've got some flow charts and shit (and some very clever staff) at work - no way can a simple country boy memorise this shit.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    They make tax in NZ deliberately difficult so you don't question it. Thus the benefit of using a good accountant that specializes in tax.

Thread Information