Thread: y would my gn250 backfire through the carburator,after i change the stator and coil

Bike
    gn 250 suzuki

y would my gn250 backfire through the carburator,after i change the stator and coil

y would my gn250 backfire through the carburator,after i change the stator and pick up coil,is there a way to fix this,how to check timming.thanks for any info

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    You've changed the stator... I presume that means it ran the battery flat?

If the battery is several years old and got completely drained then it might be stuffed, even if it has recharged and appears to be holding voltage. If that's happened then you can get all sorts of weird ignition problems where everything tests OK but the bike still won't run properly.

Suggest getting the battery around to a battery shop and having them load check it, if they say it's time for a new one then that's the cheapest and easiest thing to try.

Bike
    gn 250 suzuki

Still same problem

I've got a new battery break in still not starting, still backfires through the carb,it fires but not running

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    What was it doing before you changed the coil and stator? There is a possibility that you addressed a problem that did not exist.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    ive known of a wrongly wound stator which caused the motor to run backwards (two stroke) this shouldnt apply to yours haha
    but it sounds 180 degrees out, is the stator under the flywheel or inside the case/cover on a gn250? might have to rotate it 180 degrees and remount it
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    or unbolt it and flip it over then re-fit it. my logic may be flawed but
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    gn 250 suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    ive known of a wrongly wound stator which caused the motor to run backwards (two stroke) this shouldnt apply to yours haha
    but it sounds 180 degrees out, is the stator under the flywheel or inside the case/cover on a gn250? might have to rotate it 180 degrees and remount it
    Stator is in the case cover. If it's out by the 180degrees can I adjust on timing chain on the cam one revolution to be on the right stoke.

Bike
    gn 250 suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    What was it doing before you changed the coil and stator? There is a possibility that you addressed a problem that did not exist.
    Stator was not pumping out the correct voltage

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Sounds like your timing might be out..
    Put it all back together correctly?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    you get it sorted TEZA? dicky stator huh?

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Sounds like your timing might be out..
    Put it all back together correctly?
    Yeah - this - it is firing with the inlet valve open ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    If it's backfiring, can you get it to frontfire? That sounds useful in traffic.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    GN250's have a funny quirk. The two leads from the ignition pickup - in the same cover as the stator - can be swapped over and it'll still run.

BUT - wrong way round and it's on full advance from first revolution.

It's useful to know if the box goes tits up as the usual failure mode is no advance - won't take throttle past idle.

As the pickup leads would have to be disconnected to remove the cover and work on the stator, it's a possibility.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    GN250's have a funny quirk. The two leads from the ignition pickup - in the same cover as the stator - can be swapped over and it'll still run.

BUT - wrong way round and it's on full advance from first revolution.

It's useful to know if the box goes tits up as the usual failure mode is no advance - won't take throttle past idle.

As the pickup leads would have to be disconnected to remove the cover and work on the stator, it's a possibility.

thats interesting, my sons gn250 isnt charging atm so im hoping just a reg/rec but may be looking towards the stator yet.
    i was intending to be a slacker and buy a cheap chinese stator and slap it on hoping for the best haha. spose i should check the stator
    output first

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    One particularly good cure is fire. OK I've had some wine butt fuck they are a dreadful motorcycle. An old gf had one . We used to get several at riding school every session. They always struggled. Put this young lass on my CBX550 and once around the carpark and she went straight through the course 1st time she'd failed on the gn several times.

VTR 250 was like I'd say twice as good but that would be the understatement of the decade. And I hate h*ndas.

Good introduction to Harleys. Any other bike will make a hardly feel like a piece of shit. The gn is probably only mildly worse.

Flick it off and enjoy motorcycling. Fuck it's fun.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information