Thread: Looking for route recommendations for 2 week trip (both islands)

Bike
    08 BMW F800ST

Looking for route recommendations for 2 week trip (both islands)

Hi All,

I am going to be in New Zealand for 13 days starting the 24th and had a rough plan that I needed motorcycle route recommendations for. My plan is somewhat (very roughly) as follows. Any recommendations, warnings, improvements would be great.

24th - Wellington
    25th - Start for Waitomo Caves (route recommendation needed)
    26th - Cave tours and what not
    27th - Start for Auckland (route recommendations needed/might want to stop at Hamilton)
    27th - Auckland
    28th - Start back for Wellington via Western side (route/stop recommendations needed)
    28th PM/29th - Stop somewhere in the middle and continue (route recommendations needed)
    30th - Cross ferry to South Island to Christchurch (route recommendations needed)
    1st - Christchurch
    2nd - ??? Was thinking of getting to Routeburn track but seems unlikely as its too far away, so would love to have routes and recommendations of places to stop
    3rd - ??? (would definitely like to see the other side of the island)
    4th - Head back towards Wellington
    5th/6th Wellington (looking to get some diving in if I can)

Any help would be great, including commentary on if I am being too ambitious

Thanks.
    AM

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    well, first question are you on a road bike or a dual purpose bike?

Bike
    CX500
    As someone who lives in Hamilton, why on earth would you want to stop in Hamilton?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Do you have a cave fetish?

Given your timeframe I would stick to one island. You need to get off the bike occasionally and have an actual holiday.

If I could give you any advice I would say the north island is shit. Some on here will no doubt disagree but don't listen to them.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Berries has a point. I live in the North Island and the western side has some great roads as does the east. Given your time frame just get straight on the ferry and spend it in the Mainland. See the west coast, take as many of the passes as you can. If you want to do the entire routeburn you need to camp or stay in huts, I believe these need to be pre booked. See Fiordland and try and get to the Catlins, NZ’s best kept secret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    08 BMW F800ST
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am renting a CB500X so will not be going offroad or TBH even on gravelly paths. I do want to check out the glowing worm caves and Hamilton is a maybe (some friends might not be pleased if I don't go).

I have had suggestions that the South island is much better, but the trek to the caves was an opportunity to get in as much of both as I could. I will post back with a tentative route for feedback.

Thanks again.
    AM

Bike
    08 BMW F800ST
    The plan I have so far:
    https://goo.gl/maps/H7bv6UHcVhr
    https://goo.gl/maps/FLfqkWGzxMt

Stays in Wellington, Waitomo and somewhere south of rotorua, kaikoura, cch and greymouth. Shortened the route a bit to allow time to roam and actually see the place as was recommended

Haven't planned stays, is it hard to get accommodations at the last minute? I can lug my camping gear but if I can avoid it it would be great.

Also no idea what to do after greymouth.

Any further suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks.
    AM

Bike
    2013 Hayabusa
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1131116266

There is a similar thread that mark w has provided a bunch of help information

Bike
    DKW
    There are caves on the far side of Lake TeAnau, with glowworms and staligtites, travel through by boat, as caves are your thing, then you can tour the South Island only.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by ams.fwd View Post
    The plan I have so far:
    https://goo.gl/maps/H7bv6UHcVhr
    https://goo.gl/maps/FLfqkWGzxMt

Stays in Wellington, Waitomo and somewhere south of rotorua, kaikoura, cch and greymouth. Shortened the route a bit to allow time to roam and actually see the place as was recommended

Haven't planned stays, is it hard to get accommodations at the last minute? I can lug my camping gear but if I can avoid it it would be great.

Also no idea what to do after greymouth.

Any further suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks.
    AM
    You said 24th but not sure what month? If it’s 24th November you should be right with flexibility. Once into summer, you will have less choice for accommodation as lots of places get booked up and may pay more. We book in July/August for places to stay in January, that way we stay where we want and can get better pricing. Or at least that has been our experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by ams.fwd View Post
    Hi All,

I am going to be in New Zealand for 13 days starting the 24th and had a rough plan that I needed motorcycle route recommendations for. My plan is somewhat (very roughly) as follows. Any recommendations, warnings, improvements would be great.
    cemetery circuit in wanganui 26th dec, dont miss it, it's brilliant

Thread Information