Thread: Just discovered my motorcycle is registered as Class B Exempt - What now?

Bike
    A fast one

Just discovered my motorcycle is registered as Class B Exempt - What now?

I purchased my motorcycle in April 2018 from a private seller.

I did all the normal checks, Carjam report, checked the rego on the bike etc. and all appeared fine at the time. Had them sign a contract I created agreeing everything was above board (although in more legal-like terms) which they happily agreed.

A couple of months or so after buying the bike and registering it in my name, a registration renewal letter came in the mail which was unusually cheap.

I didn't question it or pay much attention to it at the time and thought it might've been due to the recent ownership change or a balance owing on the registration (sounds stupid in hindsight now that I think about it, nor is any one in an official capacity likely to believe me, but it's the honest truth...).

I've just again received the annual renewal letter and oddly enough it was the same cheap amount ($24 or something).

This time I actually bothered to look in to it more closely and can see for some reason it is registered as Class B - Exempt. From a quick Google, the Class B - Exempt registration is for things like farm vehicles. As a sports bike, it's definitely not a farm vehicle.

From the limited previous records I have, it looks as though the bike has been registered as Class B Exempt since at least 2016. I have an old rego sticker from 2016 given to me as part of the ownership history that the previous owner has obviously fraudulently modified - they have glued on a "G" (for general use) letter over the "B" (for class B exempt) which is printed on the rego label. Unfortunately I don't have a more recent rego label, but I'd hazard a guess the same thing was done to it.

If I try to manually re-register the bike on the NZTA website, it does not let me change its registration status and will only let me renew it as Class B exempt.

I am concerned that if I contact the NZTA or visit a Post Shop, they'll try and make me backdate the registration for all of the years it has been registered incorrectly.

My aim here is to register the motorcycle legally, in its correct registration class.

So...does anyone have an experience in this area, or any wisdom to share?

Is it going to be cheaper to de-register it and pay for a new plate?

Cheers from a frustrated fellow biker...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Surely it's a matter of just registering under the correct class and paying accordingly from that point?

Farm vehicles must get sold on and changed regularly in NZ.

If you think about it there must be thousands of Harleys registered as tractors ......

Just make a phone call and see what they say.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Ring the AA.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Surely it's a matter of just registering under the correct class.
    It will need VIN and WoF first
    =mjc=

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    It will need VIN and WoF first
    I think they recently changed the WOF exempt status for B reg anyhow.
    So if he has had a WOF, it prob has a VIN too i imagine...

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    yep it is easy to swap back and forth, to get the B it had to be reged / wofed before getting it, so its in the system, there is a form I cant remember the ## but its on the wall right beside renew rego one --- takes 2 mins

it wont be back dated, the change can only happen once every 6? months tho, so if you change to regular reg, you will have to pay from that day >>> how long you want to reg like always
    else just leave it on B and not get caught for years and enjoy your $29 rego

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    yep it is easy to swap back and forth, to get the B it had to be reged / wofed before getting it, so its in the system, there is a form I cant remember the ## but its on the wall right beside renew rego one --- takes 2 mins

it wont be back dated, the change can only happen once every 6? months tho, so if you change to regular reg, you will have to pay from that day >>> how long you want to reg like always
    else just leave it on B and not get caught for years and enjoy your $29 rego
    Well I just spoke with NZTA and thankfully it is going to be an easy process like you described.

Need to head down to the local Post Shop and complete an MR14 form "change vehicle usage". Cost $7.50 and this will allow me to change it to a road legal "private passenger" usage. Then it's just a case of paying the normal rego fees for my class of bike and once that is done, effective immediately it will become a private passenger usage vehicle.

Was a bit paranoid there for a moment this was going to turn in to a shitshow

Just glad in the year or so I've owned it I've never been stopped by the police or questioned as to why it had a Class B - Exempt license, as they certainly wouldn't have believed my story!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Good that it's easy to sort. We had a funny one out here a couple of years back. Guy had all his vehicles registered on the car version of the exempt class.
    Trouble was, I think at the time there was a 50km radius of use in force. We're about 80km out of ChCh...
    He got picked up in his Camaro - and they looked up the rest of his fleet.
    Cost him quite a bit.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Good that it's easy to sort. We had a funny one out here a couple of years back. Guy had all his vehicles registered on the car version of the exempt class.
    Trouble was, I think at the time there was a 50km radius of use in force. We're about 80km out of ChCh...
    He got picked up in his Camaro - and they looked up the rest of his fleet.
    Cost him quite a bit.
    Serves him right, he was taking the piss.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah but the gummermint agencies are having a piss when it comes to multiple vehicle ownership. Should be on the licence with a fee for each additional vehicle. Say $29.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Yeah but the gummermint agencies are having a piss when it comes to multiple vehicle ownership. Should be on the licence with a fee for each additional vehicle. Say $29.

Wasn't Jacinta going to look into this - pretty sure it was mentioned pre-election.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    I am concerned that if I contact the NZTA or visit a Post Shop, they'll try and make me backdate the registration for all of the years it has been registered incorrectly.
    You are only legally responsible for Licensing fee's from the time ownership was transferred into your name. Not prior to that.

Go talk to NZTA.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information