Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2019

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Testing often shows skewed results. Teams will do some really weird shit to get data.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Could be.

Honda have run a third factory bike on occasions, currently Crutchlow has one. Yamaha though have consistently refused to supply a third factory rider, in recent years at least. Things may change with the SkyVR46 MotoGP team somewhere just over the horizon. It's hard to imagine them not running Yamaha but...

I hope Yamaha can pull a rabbit out of their hat, we might get a hint over the next few days?
    maybe splitting hairs ,i dont think they have refused to supply one,its just that Tech 3 couldnt afford them

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    maybe splitting hairs ,i dont think they have refused to supply one,its just that Tech 3 couldnt afford them
    My understanding is that Tech3 wanted more factory support but Yamaha wasn't interested. That's why Tech3 changed to KTM.

Looks like Petronas have a bit more leverage, could well be $$$. Morbidelli is very happy with his new bike, so it will be interesting to see how they go in 2019.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Yup, parallel development. It's been done before.

Kinda implies that Yamaha is still struggling.
    Petronas are getting a 2019 bike because the 18 is shit and Yamaha don't want it out there struggling round and Yamaha being bad mouthed by the riders even indirectly.
    I'd be telling them to shove the deal if it was last years Yamaha.
    They are hoping the 19 bike will solve some/all of the Issues I reckon? Time will tell
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Can't remember who it was for, but I do seem to recall a suggestion, or request, that a third rider receive a factory bike but the reply was to the effect that Yamaha only do two.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Petronas are getting a 2019 bike because the 18 is shit and Yamaha don't want it out there struggling round and Yamaha being bad mouthed by the riders even indirectly.
    I'd be telling them to shove the deal if it was last years Yamaha.
    They are hoping the 19 bike will solve some/all of the Issues I reckon? Time will tell
    Indeed. I hope they are back in to the thick of it this year.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    New factory Yamaha livery for 2k19... Looks like now that Tech3 has moved to Red Bull, Yammie can fully embrace having Monster in big letters everywhere!

2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I must have missed this, but Petronas are getting the 2019 R1, not a year old bike like Tech3 did.
    Interesting, that would be a big departure.
    It's the only way there was ever going to be a 3rd or even 4th factory bike on the grid. Tech 3 were never seen as a team to test stuff for the factory, they were more of a customer who got the old, worn out stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Isn't it only Morbidelli getting full spec bike?
    its all about the money.If teh 3 fronted up with the $$$$ they (maybe)could have had up tp date bikes too.But it may also be the fact that Yamaha think that more input may be beneficial,but they need to be working of the same platform for that to be relevant
    Money was only part of it. Changing the relationship between the factory and Tech 3 was required, which needed a lot more than just money.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    New factory Yamaha livery for 2k19... Looks like now that Tech3 has moved to Red Bull, Yammie can fully embrace having Monster in big letters everywhere!

Doesn't look like a Yamaha - should be blue. Rossi and Mac now look like Tech3 riders.

I should admit that I still don't like the Repsol Hondas ...

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Yamaha hasn't always been blue. They were Red and White for many, many, many years. Yellow and black for many more. I'm glad to see there's going to be a bit of difference this year, it was starting to be a bit "rinse and repeat" livery wise for the last few years.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Repsol Honda still look exactly the same? It's a big anniversary for them, you'd think they'd at least break out a Doohan/Criville design or something, you know?
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    That being said, I'm pretty sure Repsol Honda still look exactly the same? It's a big anniversary for them, you'd think they'd at least break out a Doohan/Criville design or something, you know?
    Repsol should be OK, but if any of the other sponsors were HB, Rothmans, Lucky Strike or Camel etc, that could create a problem.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Fair call, I reckon if they did this sort of thing, that'd be sweet! Maybe just for the first round or the Motegi round or sumfink.

Like when after several years, the factory/Ten Kate Honda team in WSBK went back to a Castrol livery (also when Crutchlow changed to Castrol).. So good!
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I reckon Yamaha would clean up if they went back to the yellow and black livery. Dunno why, but I love it.

Just sayin, as you were.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Isn't it only Morbidelli getting full spec bike?
    From crash.net

Both Franco Morbidelli and Fabio Quartararo will now have 2019 bikes. However, Morbidelli's A spec will get updates just two-four races after the factory team, with a delay of around six or seven races for rookie Quartararo.
    Crash.net understands that the main difference for Quartararo's (cheaper) B spec bike is that he will have only five engine changes per season, instead of the seven changes allowed.
    That means Quartararo will have less RPM than the other three Yamaha riders in order to lengthen the life of his engines.

Bike
    Blade '12
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    From crash.net

Both Franco Morbidelli and Fabio Quartararo will now have 2019 bikes. However, Morbidelli's A spec will get updates just two-four races after the factory team, with a delay of around six or seven races for rookie Quartararo.
    Crash.net understands that the main difference for Quartararo's (cheaper) B spec bike is that he will have only five engine changes per season, instead of the seven changes allowed.
    That means Quartararo will have less RPM than the other three Yamaha riders in order to lengthen the life of his engines.
    Cool. Thanks for that.

Thread Information