Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2019

Bike
    suzuki

MotoGP 2019

I haven't been to a Moto GP as yet and reckon given others enthusiasm for them they're probably a good show?
    I'm thinking I should get my arse along to one in 2019 Figuring you lot would be able to enlighten me on to which meeting is the best one and why? Might as well get the inside info after all if i'm going to one...

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Sepang.

Reasons:
    1. It's not Australia, and whereas the racing at PI is good, the facilities there are shite.
    2. It's not as far as Yrup, Merica or Japan, and it's cheap.
    3. The course is great, and the locals go nuts for it.
    4. The locals are nice.
    5. Did I mention it was cheap?
    6. It's exoitic, but there's not too much of a language barrier.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Firstly don't just go for the day, do the three days. The first two days you can wander around with your camera, race day park your arse and watch. The airfares and accomodation will be most of the bill, the cost of the extra tickets should be relatively minor in comparison.

I liked the idea of the Malaysian GP but for one thing, they hold it in the monsoon season and too often it rains.

Phillip Island is great. I don't know about the public facilities, I was there with the now defunct Honda Riders Club and they had full hospitality laid on.

If you're thinking of travelling further afield than Oz check out Pole Position Travel, they seem to be the experts.

Some of the tracks can be remote and pose travel problems. CoTA might be good, no language problem, and great barbecue in town.

PM Gazza if he doesn't show up in this thread, he's been to Europe several times.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    I tried to go to Silverstone this year and they didn't race - go figure.
    I also went to Misano, which was OKish.

If you're going to Yrup, I really, really liked Mugello (fantastic atmos, great track).
    Barcelona was great too, stayed in the city for a few days prior and had a great time.

As Pritch said, go for three days.
    You'll see shitloads on the Friday before the big crowds arrive.

Bike
    suzuki
    my intention is to go for the bike racing, not tourism so it would be the three day deal.

Bike
    2013 Hayabusa
    Another vote for Mugello - the atmosphere is beyond description, a slight feeling of anarchy, the racing and the track are great too.
    We went last year (2017) and Barcelona was a week later - still a great atmosphere and better organized - but would recommend Mugello for the sheer madness and chaos of the place.
    It is early June so may clash with the TT. It will be an interesting place the year that Rossi calls time on his career.

Misano - meh

I would like to get to Assen - the last time I was there was a very long time again, and it is often wet.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    my intention is to go for the bike racing, not tourism so it would be the three day deal.
    For a three day weekend I'd be picking anything that doesn't start or end with the 16 hour Dubai flight.
    If you're going to the other hemisphere it would be a shame to only see a race track.
    What about the TT (25th May-7th June) followed by Catalunya, (14th-16th June)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    For a three day weekend I'd be picking anything that doesn't start or end with the 16 hour Dubai flight.
    If you're going to the other hemisphere it would be a shame to only see a race track.
    What about the TT (25th May-7th June) followed by Catalunya, (14th-16th June)
    been to the tt, spent three weeks there with a shed full of brand new fzr600's to assemble and each one needed a 1000 miles on them so i made a pig of myself, jason mcewen was not happy when i rode past the van he and the other riders was in on his bike, with just my boots gloves and helmet on too.
    drove a truck back to england with the bikes and smashed up britten in it that mark farmer had met his end on, and no, I never souvenired anything.
    to be honest i struggle to not get bored at a bike meeting i'm just spectating at and don't know whether i'd enjoy the tt again, although what you point out looks interesting.

i'm sure i'd do a bit of a holiday too so it won't be three days at the track then home.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Manxkiwi went to Sepang this year, pretty sure he had a good time. I'd say out of the near rounds that'd be my pick to go to.
    I'd like to go to Japan at some stage but would tie in the race with some tourism stuff. Hai.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I've been to F1 at Sepang and it was a great experience. But that was in April and the weather was tolerable - high 20's and about 70% humidity. Not sure about being there during the monsoon season for MotoGP - either very wet or hot.

PI is a great track and you can get really close to the bikes in places. Standing on the inside of turn 1 was absolutely awesome. But the weather can be shit so be prepared for anything. Accommodation options on the island are limited and mostly expensive - we stayed just off the island at Kilcunda, which was about a 15 minute ride, except on race day!

Bike
    suzuki
    i've been to phillip island three or four times but not for the gp, weather doesn't faze me, just wear the right stuff, one thing i do like about the circuit is being able to walk all the way around, rather than maybe being stuck in a grandstand for the whole day, what tracks other than PI are similar?
    or can you grandstand hop on one pass as a rule or are you staying put?

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    I've only ever been to PI but I agree that the circuit, scenery, and racing are awesome but facilities are a little lacking.. And there are Australians everywhere, it's gross...

Seeing as this is the "MotoGP 2019" thread, is anyone else hyped to see how MotoE goes next year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_MotoE_season

Rider list has been announced, Energica make a mean E-Bike, I reckon it'll be awesome. Hopefully it'll get a few more people interested and invested in TT-Zero for the next IoM as well
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post

Seeing as this is the "MotoGP 2019" thread, is anyone else hyped to see how MotoE goes next year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_MotoE_season

Rider list has been announced, Energica make a mean E-Bike, I reckon it'll be awesome. Hopefully it'll get a few more people interested and invested in TT-Zero for the next IoM as well
    one huge thing missing is the titillation of one of our senses, hearing, that will be the biggest thing these bikes will have to overcome.
    additionally is it going to become so evenly matched that there will be a group of 15 bikes all together and you may lose sight of watching one two three or four bikes battling as they all get swamped?

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    i've been to phillip island three or four times but not for the gp, weather doesn't faze me, just wear the right stuff, one thing i do like about the circuit is being able to walk all the way around, rather than maybe being stuck in a grandstand for the whole day, what tracks other than PI are similar?
    I've been doing GPs since 2005 Jelly, tried doin 3 at a time but that was too long away from home. I'd describe Catalunya as more F1 ish but you can get around on foot. Mugello My Fav since 05, is like 4 Manfeilds in size and brilliant for walking around. Best by far for me. But of course two long flights each way . (it was 4 days of racing in those days). I have a group of French, Poms and German friends and we stay in Ronta about 12-15 kms away. If you are real lucky you can get accom that close but its usually booked out year on year. But hey you pick, P.I. is close and Sepang too.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I understand the only decent stand is the one at Siberia. Buy a cheap folding chair, then sit where you like.

Another great place to watch is the hill beside the drop to MG from Lukey Heights.

Thread Information