Ninja 300
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/110...th-of-auckland

Another one . Can't comment on the cause, but devastating all the same

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by KezzaCFC View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/110...th-of-auckland

Another one . Can't comment on the cause, but devastating all the same
    It's a busy road now. Improvements are long overdue.

Bike
    MAISTO KTM RC 390
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Nougo View Post
    trying to be more visible is all well and good, but i agree its only a small part of surviving. The most visible ive ever been was while riding an ex MOT cb650 back in the 80s, no one pulled out in front of me, it worked so well i installed a hi-stop and promptly got fined and told to take it off. If youre afraid you might look like a pussy and be treated that way by other road users tells me more about your attitudes than other peoples.

As experienced motorcyclists im sure you all percieve and avoid potential accidents every ride, and 9 out of 10 times 999 out of 1000 youre on the ball but being human has consequences and us older humans are more prone to make mistakes.
    This week i had 2 wake up calls, my eyes arent what they used to be so accepting this and adapting is paramount Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

Ive had videos on bikes for a long time, it helps me learn to ride better. Heres a few old clips to illustrate some of the hazards that are out there. It might help someone recognize some dangerous situations.

https://youtu.be/ttTGY65B4Xo
    thanks for the link of video
    its very helpful

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    ... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs...
    Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best by date" shit im not so agile or fit, Im now blind in one eye the others struggling... I struggle to concentrate like I used to I know all this but cant slow down... why?
    Are we older riders loosing it due to age... or are we loosing it due to being to long in the tooth ie to complacent?

I want to hear from the same age and older riders that may not ride much these days... ststs show the older generation are dieing... why???
    well... its now 3 in a year, all around 50yrs old... the latest being a fucking good bastard of a mate Mike on his KTM690 returning home from the Brass. (yes I know that was a month ago but couldn't be bothered talking bout it till now.

Now, I have taken on board the comments re current time in the saddle over total time in the saddle, ie ive been riding since 15 now over 50 on the road and the track and around the world... but these dys my riding hours are minimal, still as many rallys as I can fit in but still way down on the good oll days.
    So I think there is a lot of merit in keeping the brain and mussles in a decent riding state of fitness....

How ever we must remember the basics, in Mikes case he was proberly following a tad to close as he colected the bikes in frount which sent him into a oncoming cage... ALTHO it was caused by a tourist near stopping on a bridge in a 100km zone to take a fucking photo of a river take care aging riders... take fucking care...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    well... its now 3 in a year, all around 50yrs old... the latest being a fucking good bastard of a mate Mike on his KTM690 returning home from the Brass. (yes I know that was a month ago but couldn't be bothered talking bout it till now.

Now, I have taken on board the comments re current time in the saddle over total time in the saddle, ie ive been riding since 15 now over 50 on the road and the track and around the world... but these dys my riding hours are minimal, still as many rallys as I can fit in but still way down on the good oll days.
    So I think there is a lot of merit in keeping the brain and mussles in a decent riding state of fitness....

How ever we must remember the basics, in Mikes case he was proberly following a tad to close as he colected the bikes in frount which sent him into a oncoming cage... ALTHO it was caused by a tourist near stopping on a bridge in a 100km zone to take a fucking photo of a river take care aging riders... take fucking care...
    to be fair, I have not done much riding and im getting grumpier by the day, life gets in the way some times. I have changed my riding style a little, I don't go as fast as I used to and I don't tend to follow as close as I used to but I still ride my own ride.

not good to hear about your mate, I gotta admit I was worried when I heard about it at the time as I had quite a few friends that would have been in the area at the time.
    never good to hear of a bike accident.

Bike
    1981 XV 1000cc Yamaha, 2009 BanditYeass!

Thumbs up

Shitty luck dangerous, bloody shitty luck. When it's not something of your doing or within your control, you are somewhat in the hands of the Gods.
    4 months ago I sold my beloved Low K's,2009,1250 Bandy Bandit.About 3 years ago I started looking for another bike, she and I were going to end up under something, reaction times not so good, all other functions OK, but not as sharp as before.
    So, hey I bought a 2016 Africa Twin with DCT Transmission.
    Started my riding on mates farms, moved on to my sisters boyfriends road bikes, wrung their necks off, then finally bought a 110 Nonda and got going on the road for real, many years ago.
    Got up to an 850 Suzi with Yoshi everything, this machine was raced by an army officer and was only for sale cause he was off overseas to a posting, what a machine. Rode that bike till I was absolutely comfortable with it's every nuance, could and DID beat pretty much anyone who tried.
    Got kids and a house, sold her! 17 years later I got an old Jam jar, (Still got the ol coal burner, another 17 odd years later)
    Progressed to the bandit, ridden her for nearly 8 years.
    Got the Twin 4 months ago, done nothing but weekend rides with wifey (who has now ridden for over 10 years herelf) and so far clocked up over 7000k's, no drama's, done some metal, done alot of windy stuff and some open flat out stuff, haven't once felt the need or the inclination to go, fast.
    Loved every minute of riding a comfortable (oh so comfy) not small, not too slow, heavy (for a trail bike as wifey calls it) automatic motorcycle, cant begin to to describe the shit eating grin when I look back to see the sprot bike still weaving off the line while I'm already at the next set of lights/intersection."
    Nowadays I keep and actively maintain a good gap, if others push in or come too close I let em know and I actively push em back, works!
    Anticipation is as good as ever and it's that over slower reflex's, reaction times etc that I beleive is keeping wifey and I , as safe as we can be.
    Thankfully we've both got our health and we're not far off being able to say fuck you world, and simply go off and do our own thing, bikes of course are in the mix.
    Nex thing is , ride safe courses (wifey's done Bronze, not me yet)and perhaps IAM, thinking about that one, I like how if you want to get properly involved, you can.
    Don't give it up unless you absoultely have to, is my advice.
    On a brighter note, through KB and the many bike groups I've been associated with I've ridden with many older(20+years on me) guys and girls who still absolutely love what they're still doing.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    XR650R
    [QUOTE=caseye;1131137316]Shitty luck dangerous, bloody shitty luck.
    yes I also offer my condolences, I've lost a good mate to measures that were out of his control, I've also had a couple of crashes over the last couple of years, I'm 52 this year, my eyesights not what it used to be, it's slower to flick focus from one thing to another, I don't need glasses yet, but close up reading is getting harder, I dropt my roadbike on some fine gravel spread across the road by a farmer crossing back /forth on a cnr, very minor accident, I fixed the damage to bike, just scuffed my knee.
    then in December last year I got high sided off my xr650 on onto tarseal at 80kph ( hot tar) broke my scapula, wrenched shoulder, and worst broke two screws holding my wrist together, started thinking I was losing it, but it was dumb luck and riding abit too fast for the shitty knobbly i had on the back - lesson learned.
    I reassured myself by having ago at something different,
    I entered a hillclimb event, had a great time , but also restored a level of confidence in my riding ability.
    I realise I need more training as I get older, as if you don't use em' you lose em' , mostly I've previously used my trailbike for retraining the handling skills, but on the road I try by playing a game "what if?" I imagine a scenario happening ahead, then take evasive action , while I have the road to myself of course, plus the obligatory brake testing when fitting new tyres, or making other changes to my bikes, I'm also aware my reactive reactions aren't as nimble as they once were, training helps with that, but I also don't push it as hard out as I used too, just seems to hurt more and take longer to heal these days, so have to ride smarter

Thread Information