Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: older riders surviving badly

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I dunno - I think it is the luck of the genetic draw ..

while I regularly take to 1250 passed 200 ...

A couple of weeks ago I came across a group of slow riders (doing under 100kph) wearing hi-Viz vests - I went round the outside on a wide open left-hander about 140klicks - found out later it was a Ride Forever course ... () .. bet the trainer had a bit to say to his pupils about the hoon on the Bandit ..
    Your lucky and a dick - 140 clicks passing. What a cool dude!!!

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I turned 50 this year, have been riding all my life and have always shunned the idea of further training because I believe I know how to ride safely and defensively, even if there are occasions when I ignore all that and go banzai.

Whenever anyone bangs on about the value of training I turn off, but I had not thought of it the way you just put it.

Anyway, time for home. If you see a black GSXR on it's side in a puddle stop and help me.
    Interesting attitude. So when a sniper expends 1.2 rounds per enemy kill and a GI something like 11,500 me thinks training has some input on the result. Any training delivers a better result, but only if one is open to it I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I've just turned 71 and started serious training in my 60's because it took me that long to realise that I ran out of talent way before I thought I did. I simply wanted to extend my riding riding career for as long as I could as safely as possible. Got rid of some bad habits, learned heaps of good stuff and enjoy my riding more than ever. Just did it for myself but have managed to help a few people along the way too. Can't be a bad result, can it?
    Yep, we don't know what we don't know. Will readily admit I thought I couldn't improve much (like that Berries chap above) but then I asked myself what if? What if I can improve? Turns out I learned more than I might wish to admit

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Yep, we don't know what we don't know. Will readily admit I thought I couldn't improve much (like that Berries chap above) but then I asked myself what if? What if I can improve? Turns out I learned more than I might wish to admit
    I think most of us have found exactly that Rob. Hasn't been too damaging to one's ego either 😊

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Interesting attitude. So when a sniper expends 1.2 rounds per enemy kill and a GI something like 11,500 me thinks training has some input on the result. Any training delivers a better result, but only if one is open to it I suppose...
    They have completely different jobs and shoot their guns for totally different purposes. I imagine they both train just as much as each other but on different aspects. Not the best comparison.

My problem is that I know what I should be doing to give me that extra margin of safety but some of the time I just don't bother because, well, that's why I ride.

Bike
    It was on the good
    pressed the wrong button
    Last edited by Berries; 21st November 2018 at 06:14. Reason: Am too old to use a computer as well

Bike
    '76 RD-400C
    Maybe not, Berries, yet not that bad either (referring to your previous post). A good friend was a career sergeant in the Army, including leading squads in Korea and Vietnam, and a lot more time Stateside training the new meat. He once said that, instead of the semi-auto M-1s used in Korea, and the fully-automatic M-16s used in Vietnam, he wished his troopies had been issued old bolt-action rifles, his idea being that the boys could be encouraged to make more careful shots, and wouldn't have to carry, and waste, so much ammo. Yeah, the comparison is a stretch, but maybe having spent early years riding old spaghetti-framed bikes is a useful background even for riding modern sportbikes that handle so much better. I toss that in for what it's worth, Berries (i.e., not much, oh well).

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    Maybe not, Berries, yet not that bad either (referring to your previous post). A good friend was a career sergeant in the Army, including leading squads in Korea and Vietnam, and a lot more time Stateside training the new meat. He once said that, instead of the semi-auto M-1s used in Korea, and the fully-automatic M-16s used in Vietnam, he wished his troopies had been issued old bolt-action rifles, his idea being that the boys could be encouraged to make more careful shots, and wouldn't have to carry, and waste, so much ammo. Yeah, the comparison is a stretch, but maybe having spent early years riding old spaghetti-framed bikes is a useful background even for riding modern sportbikes that handle so much better. I toss that in for what it's worth, Berries (i.e., not much, oh well).
    I've read several historical references to automatics having been invented mostly as an alternative to training.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Some of us are aware of the problems of riding in our dotage and a year or three ago there was a sensible thread about it. As mentioned elsewhere I recently received an invitation to renew my licence. That requires an eye test and probably a note from the Doc to confirm I still have most of my marbles.

I still mostly cruise around at the same illegal speed I have since the 70s. The odd excursions to warp speed are less frequent these days though.

I’ve been banging on about a smaller bike for ages but since I’ve got an expensive service coming up that’ll likely be put off yet again.

One does not forget one is aging, the arthritis is a constant reminder.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

60 year old YOU might be fitter, faster, stronger, better eyes and faster reactions that 30 year old somebody else. BUT

60 year old YOU will always be slower, less strong, worse eyesight etc that 30 year old YOU. - thats the issue, we spend say 30 years learning riding skills, but by the time we have earned and learned those skills, we can no longer use them as effectively as well could have back when we were physically more capable, but had not yet learned said skills. . .
    Really - I have no idea - I bought both my Bandits past 50 years old .. and they are the fastest things I have ever owned.

I think my riding is way better than it was when I was 30 ... the bikes handle better - I've got more control of them ... No, I am not as strong and fit - I don't need to be on these bikes - counter-steering and balancing on the throttle doesn't need strength.

I can still ride from Whakatane to Wellington stopping only for cigs and gas ...

I ride year round - I don't park the bikes in winter ..

I think I'm just a lucky hoon ..

Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post

I am not for one second questioning your skills or abilities or the ability of your machine. I do have a genuine question though: before executing that passing manoeuvre, did you at any point consider the impact on those slow riders of a vehicle passing them on a corner (no matter how open) at that kind of speed? Chances are they did not see you before you passed, even if they did they almost certainly would not have expected you to do that. Have you ever been caught out by another road users actions? Did it ever rattle you? How did you feel about it afterwards?
    Not interested in a row with you. Genuinely interested in your thinking.
    Yeah - I did consider that - as I dropped in behind the last bike in the snake it looked like a young woman on a harley 500 .. she freaked and wobbled - did not seem happy for me to be behind her ... So then I wasn't ..

Yeah - chances are they did not see me before I passed them ... (the last one certainly did .. ) Yes - I've have bikes pass that I didn't even see coming ... as long as they don't hit me all good .. the only ones who rattle me are way too close .. others .. (Well, I tend to open the throttle and chase them .. but never too hard - I won't push anyone who doesn't look confident - and I won't chase competent riders on real sports bikes - I know what I can and can't do .. if they are really moving I let them go - but it's funny to watch guys on high speed sports bike who can't lose a 650 bandit ...) .. I was really wide on the corner - almost on the right side white line ..

In the end - such things happen on the road - and they need to get used to traffic .. If they had been at 100klicks I would not have done it .. they was only doing 80ks ... (I had a thought there - but it's gone ... ) ... Oh yeah - they didn't see me coming - and I was GONE before they could react ..

On another thought, again out of genuine curiosity. How are you gauging your reaction times? Dave Moss the suspension tuner says something interesting. He talks about the incredible ability of humans to adapt to sub-optimal circumstances and begin to treat that as normal. Of course his particular context is accepting sub-optimal suspension performance from our bikes and as a consequence not getting the most from them and therefore not having them under control as well we might and therefore not being as safe as we might. I hope you can see the parallels we can draw to other aspects of how we might evaluate performance? Sometimes I find the most objective way to baseline where I am at is to seek outside input and measurement or critique. Why? Well my perception of what is acceptable might simply be an adaptation to something which is sub-optimal from the beginning. Maybe its just me
    I really watch the road - no letting the attention wander off .. unless I'm cruising .. I watch cars, their body language, driver's heads - anything looks even slightly suspect I back off ...

So often I'm reacting BEFORE anything actually happens ...

I suppose you'd call that experience ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Some of us are aware of the problems of riding in our dotage and a year or three ago there was a sensible thread about it. As mentioned elsewhere I recently received an invitation to renew my licence. That requires an eye test and probably a note from the Doc to confirm I still have most of my marbles.

I still mostly cruise around at the same illegal speed I have since the 70s. The odd excursions to warp speed are less frequent these days though.

I’ve been banging on about a smaller bike for ages but since I’ve got an expensive service coming up that’ll likely be put off yet again.

One does not forget one is aging, the arthritis is a constant reminder.
    Hahahaha - ditto for all you've said Ron My licence comes up for renewal in 2022.

Next year sometime, I'm looking at a smaller bike too, specifically much lighter and perhaps a tad lower. Going back to a Street Triple has strong appeal but coming from left field, the KTM Duke 790 seems to tick most technical boxes and has a certain emotional appeal too! I have a bit of arthritis in the knees and fitted pegs which were 20mm lower on both the Blackbird and current bike. Made a massive difference and quite happy to do the same to any future bike which has high pegs.

Bike
    bandit
    Hahahaha - ditto for all you've said Ron My licence comes up for renewal in 2022.

Next year sometime, I'm looking at a smaller bike too, specifically much lighter and perhaps a tad lower. Going back to a Street Triple has strong appeal but coming from left field, the KTM Duke 790 seems to tick most technical boxes and has a certain emotional appeal too! I have a bit of arthritis in the knees and fitted pegs which were 20mm lower on both the Blackbird and current bike. Made a massive difference and quite happy to do the same to any future bike which has high pegs.
    Everyone I know who has had a Street Triple has dumped it ... even ex-racers ..

I think there's something wrong there ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    bandit

Just ran across this - Could not resist ..

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Everyone I know who has had a Street Triple has dumped it ... even ex-racers ..

I think there's something wrong there ..
    Had a Street Triple from 2009 - 2015 and absolutely loved it, that's why I'm hooked on them. The only drop was entirely my fault, The early ones had a fairly restricted lock and flicking it round on a narrow country road, it was very late in the piece and leaned right over that I needed another few centimetres of road to complete the turn . Had to step off it. Cracked an indicator lens and damaged my ego. The only thing about Street Triples is that they cause immoderate behaviour without a certain degree of self-control. That's part of the problem

Hahahaha re your second post

Bike
    bandit
    Had a Street Triple from 2009 - 2015 and absolutely loved it, that's why I'm hooked on them. The only drop was entirely my fault, The early ones had a fairly restricted lock and flicking it round on a narrow country road, it was very late in the piece and leaned right over that I needed another few centimetres of road to complete the turn . Had to step off it. Cracked an indicator lens and damaged my ego. The only thing about Street Triples is that they cause immoderate behaviour without a certain degree of self-control. That's part of the problem

Hahahaha re your second post
    Yeah - I figured it was probably the rider ... immoderate behaviour ..

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Told the wife I had to downsize so went from an SV1000 to a GSXR750 a couple of years back. Engine capacity went down, power, speed, handling, grin factor and general hooliganism went up. She's happy I am on a smaller bike, I am happy because she doesn't know the rest.

Not sure how I am going to justify going back up in capacity to her next time. Might just have to get some 500cc stickers made to cover up the numbers.

Thread Information