Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: older riders surviving badly

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Do bear in mind those are all passive aids, not things to rely on. There are lots of positive actions you can take to ensure you can be seen and even more important, positive actions to take when you make the assumption that other road users may not see you despite all your efforts.

I also think there is some merit in our clothing having an impact on other road users actions.

I ride a big bike with lots of lights. I wear black gear with lots of reflective patches and flashes and a white helmet. The back of the bike has an auxillary tail and brake light. Also there is hatched reflective tape on the back of the top box. I am also the better part of 2m tall and 112kgs in my birthday suit.
    The number of drivers who slow down when they see me, pull alongside me etc is quite funny at times, there is just enough about me and the bike to make them wonder if I am a patrol bike. It could be simply confirmation bias on my part of course.

Another decision I made was about hi viz vests. There are two hanging in my cupboard and they will likely stay there I spent a hell of a lot of money on gear that is guaranteed waterproof. Part of that is because the outer skin of the gear repels water and does not get saturated. If I were to put a hiz viz vest on it will not function like that and will get saturated in the wet. Come the hotter drier weather that same hi viz gear stops the venting system on my jacket working properly. Given how much of me is actually visible from the front and rear of the bike I have decided I am in fact safer being dry and warm or properly cooled than relying on some other muppet seeing me because I have a hi viz vest on. Instead I take positive actions to make myself seen and more importantly act as if I am not seen anyway.

There is a guy who has a blog/website called the Science of Being Seen, he came to Shiny Side Up last year and is coming this year. Check him out, he has a lot to say about being seen and its hard to argue with much of what he says.
    Bright-as riding lights as well as your headlight helps with the visibility, especially if on of the riding lights 'jiggles' a bit!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I have noticed over the years that a patched rider riding like a ignorant cunt gets noticed by other road users.

Maybe we all just need to rider like mad fuckers.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Bright-as riding lights as well as your headlight helps with the visibility, especially if on of the riding lights 'jiggles' a bit!
    Works for me

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Do bear in mind those are all passive aids, not things to rely on. There are lots of positive actions you can take to ensure you can be seen and even more important, positive actions to take when you make the assumption that other road users may not see you despite all your efforts.

I also think there is some merit in our clothing having an impact on other road users actions.

I ride a big bike with lots of lights. I wear black gear with lots of reflective patches and flashes and a white helmet. The back of the bike has an auxillary tail and brake light. Also there is hatched reflective tape on the back of the top box. I am also the better part of 2m tall and 112kgs in my birthday suit.
    The number of drivers who slow down when they see me, pull alongside me etc is quite funny at times, there is just enough about me and the bike to make them wonder if I am a patrol bike. It could be simply confirmation bias on my part of course.

Another decision I made was about hi viz vests. There are two hanging in my cupboard and they will likely stay there I spent a hell of a lot of money on gear that is guaranteed waterproof. Part of that is because the outer skin of the gear repels water and does not get saturated. If I were to put a hiz viz vest on it will not function like that and will get saturated in the wet. Come the hotter drier weather that same hi viz gear stops the venting system on my jacket working properly. Given how much of me is actually visible from the front and rear of the bike I have decided I am in fact safer being dry and warm or properly cooled than relying on some other muppet seeing me because I have a hi viz vest on. Instead I take positive actions to make myself seen and more importantly act as if I am not seen anyway.

There is a guy who has a blog/website called the Science of Being Seen, he came to Shiny Side Up last year and is coming this year. Check him out, he has a lot to say about being seen and its hard to argue with much of what he says.
    Yes, where you position yourself relative to other vehicles is important also. It helps to move relative to the traffic around you - I usually vary my position in the lane to maximise how far forward I can see.

I did look at the science of being seen website but after half an hour am none the wiser. Unfortunately the general standard of research in this area is poor, like most road safety research, so the real reasons why car drivers don't see bikes are not well understood.

There does seem to be a general unwillingness to wear Hi Vis, especially by older riders. My thinking is it's never going to make me less visible, and might just prevent an accident one day. But of course, I'll never know. It is a pain wearing Hi Vis - I regularly forget to do up the zip and have to pull over to sort it. Or maybe that's my age!

What I do know is if I turn up at my clients worksites wearing black instead of Hi Vis gear, they won't let me in. Must be a reason for that.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Me?
    At 65 I ride like a nana (even more than I used to!) and terrified every time I see a car approach

Probably because I've been to more motorbike crashes than the average rider?
    shit id be worried about loosing the enjoyment, that would be a sad loss.
    Iv been to too many funurels lately...

Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    There does seem to be a general unwillingness to wear Hi Vis, especially by older riders. My thinking is it's never going to make me less visible, and might just prevent an accident one day. But of course, I'll never know. It is a pain wearing Hi Vis - I regularly forget to do up the zip and have to pull over to sort it. Or maybe that's my age!
    I wont and never will...
    A, my era was black leather, so thats what i know, no corduer no one pieces shit you could race with 2 pair a jeans... so black is what Im comphy in.
    B, every other day I "have" to wear hiviz, so ill be fucked if on my day off im going to, nothing worse than getting on the bike thinking ya off to work.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    There does seem to be a general unwillingness to wear Hi Vis, especially by older riders.
    I will do everything I can not to get hit by someone else but I am never going to rely on them seeing me so hi-viz is not on my list of survival aids. Big fuck off headlight shining away at the front, backpack on my back, it's not like you can see it.

Has worked for me so far, in little old Dunedin, riding around London and many places in between.

especially if on of the riding lights 'jiggles' a bit!
    Sorry to hear about the Parkinsons.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The location and timing of the accidents suggests we should perhaps have a little "zen" moment before we leave the driveway. Stop, clear the head of whatever else is happening in your life, then ride. There is the added benefit that you'd have checked your brakes were working.
    It is VERY common for accidents to occur within 10 km's of your start/stopping point ... when your mind is on things other than what you need to be aware of ... ON THE ROAD.

Keep your mind on the job you are doing until you STOP. And ... the feet are on the ground and you're parked.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    bandit

(at 140klicks on a bend is probably not always the best solution there.....)

Probably not - but it is the most fun .. and it's a road I use to go to work every day - and do it often to cars and other bikes ..

It's easier on the 650 - the 1250 is a little heavy
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Probably not - but it is the most fun .. and it's a road I use to go to work every day - and do it often to cars and other bikes ..

It's easier on the 650 - the 1250 is a little heavy
    Oh yes, nobody said it wasn’t fun.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I have noticed over the years that a patched rider riding like a ignorant cunt gets noticed by other road users
    That’s not infallible either. The then president of the local 1%er group got T boned by a car driven by an elderly lady. I asked him what he said. He replied that he said nothing much, he wasn’t feeling very good.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    So old you won't care
    We are dealing with human beings. People are variable and they change over time so I dont think you can particularly draw any real conclusions from particular examples. I know 70 year olds who can ride rings around me and I have observed a decline in skills in others. You would need to baseline the skill levels to start with to make any meaningful comparison

One thing you can say is that at we get older we tend to suffer more ailments and develop more conditions.

In my case I'm riding less because other events have overtaken me and demand my attention. I doubt I will ever get back to where I was BUT at least I recognise this and ride accordingly.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Me?
    - and very wary of those that pull left without indicating. (after nearly getting taken out by one driver that did tat who then started doing a U-turn right on front of me).
    Be wary. That trick cost me a broken leg in 78. Riding behind a car that suddenly swerves left into a vacant parking space. No indications. I veer a bit to my right in case he flings his driver door open. Seconds later my CB750 is embedded deep into the side of his car T boned as he u-turns in front of me. I jumped over the roof. Thought what a clever bugger I was. Femur broke as I landed on the road. He admitted he never looked behind. Never indicated. You should have heard how hard the Judges wet bus ticket brushed the back of his hand.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Be wary. That trick cost me a broken leg in 78. Riding behind a car that suddenly swerves left into a vacant parking space. No indications. I veer a bit to my right in case he flings his driver door open. Seconds later my CB750 is embedded deep into the side of his car T boned as he u-turns in front of me. I jumped over the roof. Thought what a clever bugger I was. Femur broke as I landed on the road. He admitted he never looked behind. Never indicated. You should have heard how hard the Judges wet bus ticket brushed the back of his hand.
    sore knees
    vw beetel
    cb125s
    stayed on bike
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    77 XL250
    Fear not people. The powers that be will forget the recent deaths and be looking in another direction as the media jumps on the dodgy WOF bandwagon.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    Fear not people. The powers that be will forget the recent deaths and be looking in another direction as the media jumps on the dodgy WOF bandwagon.
    yup 1000 people dead in northland from dodgy warrants and the outfit that makes sure all them what gives warrants do it proper already knew bout it. least that's what I heard anyways. bloody dodgy garages gouging the innocent public I say

Thread Information