Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: older riders surviving badly

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Seems there’s a lot of riders who equate wearing hi-vis with wearing a tutu or something, it’s a real challenge to their egos.

They then science the shit out of the idea to justify it.
    Based on my own observations, very few riders over 50 wear Hi Vis. Same with Harley riders.

I certainly don't think it has magical powers. In some circumstances it might make you more visible. That's all.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L02 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Based on my own observations, very few riders over 50 wear Hi Vis.
    You need to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Yeah my bike is dark grey, I wanted a white one but it was the only one available at the time with the specs I wanted in my price range. Only yellow one I’ve seen on the market lately is a cb500r I think? There would be a lot of kawasaki lime green ones around that are still involved in accidents I’m sure. And red ones.

I don’t think hivis has magical powers either, I just think it’s a cheap, valid passive safety measure that’s worth taking if it makes even one other road user notice you when they wouldn’t have otherwise.

Active safety measures are an infinitely better option but also a lot harder for the average rider to learn and practice conscientiously.

I just think it’s OK to say you don’t want to wear it because you don’t want to look like a banana (or orange) or it doesn’t fit the ‘biker’ image, regardless of the benefits/liabilities involved.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You need to get out more
    Agreed. But what proportion of older riders would you say wear Hi Vis?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I have noticed over the years that a patched rider riding like a ignorant cunt gets noticed by other road users.

Maybe we all just need to rider like mad fuckers.
    If it works ... why not. We do have a reputation to uphold ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Based on my own observations, very few riders over 50 wear Hi Vis. Same with Harley riders.

I certainly don't think it has magical powers. In some circumstances it might make you more visible. That's all.
    Apart from the reflective strips on my Dri-Rider riding gear ... I'm not a fan/user of the Hi-viz stuff. In daylight you usually don't notice the rider is wearing it until you get close enough to see the make and model of the bike.

It is far more effective at night however ... but those that choose to wear it at any time ... is their business. It only needs to help you be seen earlier once to be counted as effective and worth it's cost.

And to be honest ... there are times we need all the help we can get to be seen on the road. And some motorists need all the help we can give them ... to help them see us.

At the end of the day ... to be seen by another motorist ... those other motorists must actually be looking ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Apart from the reflective strips on my Dri-Rider riding gear ... I'm not a fan/user of the Hi-viz stuff. In daylight you usually don't notice the rider is wearing it until you get close enough to see the make and model of the bike.

It is far more effective at night however ... but those that choose to wear it at any time ... is their business. It only needs to help you be seen earlier once to be counted as effective and worth it's cost.

And to be honest ... there are times we need all the help we can get to be seen on the road. And some motorists need all the help we can give them ... to help them see us.

At the end of the day ... to be seen by another motorist ... those other motorists must actually be looking ...
    My feelings on the matter, too. You can't quantify if you would have been hit wearing black or hi viz. A decent headlight and often, but not always, hi viz catches my eye.

When I replace my venerable jacket, hi viz will not be a priority but if I can get the quality I want and hi viz I would be a mug not to buy it.

Only yellow hi viz, though. To match my yellow bike...

IMHO, a yellow helmet gets a lot of attention, they really stand out!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Are any of you seriously suggesting that wearing hi-viz makes you MORE vulnerable? Do you think we become targets or something?

[/I]
    Is that question aimed at anyone in particuar? I dont think anyone has said it actually makes you a target?
    Seems there’s a lot of riders who equate wearing hi-vis with wearing a tutu or something, it’s a real challenge to their egos.

They then science the shit out of the idea to justify it.
    I haven't seen anyone try to 'science the shit out of it', nor do I think its a matter of 'Ego'.
    theres really only two ways to potentially improve your safety on the road:
    1) attempt to influence other road users
    2) Take personal control of your safety

using Hi-Vis is not taking personal control - it s relying on other road users to see you. theres a myriad of reasons why it doesnt always work - drivers to tired, or too focussed on the radio, cellphone, lipstick, burger they're eating while driving etc etc.
    You own headlight use reduces effectiveness of Hi Vis, and things like riding position, screen and packracks etc can nullify the benefits of HiVis too. essentially, Hi Vis MIGHT help A BIT, but only sometimes

Bottom line for me, is that, NOBODY cares more about MY safety, than ME.

Im not going to put my safety in the hands of some random other road user - Im going to take control by doing things like choosing line and lane position, taking courses and refresher courses, paying attention to the condition of my motorcycle, and assuming that every other road user is oblivious to my presence.
    In my mind THOSE are the things that are more likely to secure my safety than wearing a Hi Vis.

No 'Ego' or 'Science' about it - just a logical, though out consideration of how I can improve my safety on the road.

But hey, your opinion is the only one that counts, and anyone who doesn't agree must be a cunt, right?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

Bottom line for me, is that, NOBODY cares more about MY safety, than ME.

No 'Ego' or 'Science' about it - just a logical, though out consideration of how I can improve my safety on the road.

But hey, your opinion is the only one that counts, and anyone who doesn't agree must be a cunt, right?

Good post. No right or wrong, make a choice, and take ownership of your own riding as much as you can.

Oh I will add one condition where I would put on hi-viz - pissing rain, as in a hi-viz wet weather gear. But I gave up heading out in shit weather like that some years back.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I just think it’s OK to say you don’t want to wear it because you don’t want to look like a banana (or orange) or it doesn’t fit the ‘biker’ image, regardless of the benefits/liabilities involved.
    Fashion definitely comes in to it. My jacket cost an arm and a leg so I don't want to then cover it up with a ten dollar piece of Chinese shit if it doesn't do anything. If I believed in hi-viz I would buy a proper hi-viz motorbike jacket so I always have it on and can still use pockets and vents etc.

Oddly, I do have a white helmet which has been shown somewhere to have certain safety benefits over other colours. The only reason I got that was black helmets are like clitoris helmets down this way, and I wanted to be a bit different.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Yeah my bike is dark grey,
    If you read the available studies you will note that the colour of an oncoming bike is pretty much irrelevant, drivers can't see it.

An all white bike with a windscreen might fool some geriatrics into thinking it might be a cop bike, but most of the country hasn't experienced those in over a generation.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..

Well I've been a Harley rider for yonks, always had driving (riding?) lights as extras on my bikes, current bike is an Ultra-Gilde Classic with extra spot-light deals on the front.

Our tent is wrapped in a fluero coloured bag on the luggage rack on top of the top-box.

I don't put much faith in being visible due to add-ons saving my arse - but I do believe every bit helps

And I wear black leather BTW.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Good post. No right or wrong, make a choice, and take ownership of your own riding as much as you can.

Oh I will add one condition where I would put on hi-viz - pissing rain, as in a hi-viz wet weather gear. But I gave up heading out in shit weather like that some years back.

Aye. I have one of these: https://www.evolutioncycles.co.nz/Pr...SABEgIe3vD_BwE

Which I carry on tour. The normal Buffalo leather/composite jacket isn't quite up to genuine non-stop west coast rain, the provis skin is big enough to go over the top and makes for a much dryer ride. In those sort of conditions it also reflects headlights back to source to a surprisingly effective degree.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Agreed. But what proportion of older riders would you say wear Hi Vis?

Most that I ride with, look like a bunch of fucking road cones going for a ride.

This would probably be of more use to help keep you alive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7EV4MA-vw
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    ...using Hi-Vis is not taking personal control - it s relying on other road users to see you. theres a myriad of reasons why it doesnt always work...Hi Vis MIGHT help A BIT, but only sometimes...
    This is what I don't understand, you say you won't wear hivis because you want to take personal responsibility for your safety, yet at the same time acknowledge it might help a bit sometimes. If you're taking personal responsibility for your safety, why would you not take all the help you can get?

How does wearing hivis make anyone less responsible for their own safety, I don't see how these are mutually exclusive in some minds. Why the assumption that as soon as you put some hivis on you will immediately stop practising all the other active safety behaviours that help keep you out of harm's way? Why not use both? Unless you simply don't want to wear hivis for some other, more sartorial reason?

But hey, your opinion is the only one that counts, right?

No cunts, this is Kiwibiker after all.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information