Thread: Bus lane warning signs, Dominion Road Auckland

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries

Bus lane warning signs, Dominion Road Auckland

Noticed these for the first time on my walk to the supermarket this morning, not sure how I feel about them.

I think the idea is that they're supposed to warn anyone turning right across the bus lane (which I use regularly) to look out for cycles. They were on three consecutive intersections the way I was going, so targeted I guess? Or not finished yet?

They look very expensive, and I have some doubt that anyone in a car on their morning commute would notice them, or understand the message if they did.

Hmmmm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dominion rd sign.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	758.3 KB 
ID:	354527  
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    They were implemented a while ago, someone else is going to have to do a better job with Google. Targeted where incidents have occurred, yes (the money isn't endless).

There are also additional measures, like increasing the area of yellow hatching to improve sightlines (doesn't help if drivers can't figure that part out tho) but ultimately, when I see motorcycles barrelling down those sorts of lanes, I just shake my head. Cars etc do it in places, but the risks are so high, we always lose etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    They were implemented a while ago, someone else is going to have to do a better job with Google. Targeted where incidents have occurred, yes (the money isn't endless).

There are also additional measures, like increasing the area of yellow hatching to improve sightlines (doesn't help if drivers can't figure that part out tho) but ultimately, when I see motorcycles barrelling down those sorts of lanes, I just shake my head. Cars etc do it in places, but the risks are so high, we always lose etc.
    That's right, I vaguely remember now, wonder if it's making a difference.

*Also thanks to the private messenger for the additional info.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    E-scooters in cycle lanes are another hazard. There are some very quick E-scooters out there now and it will only be a matter of time before someone gets cleaned up.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    E-scooters in cycle lanes are another hazard. There are some very quick E-scooters out there now and it will only be a matter of time before someone gets cleaned up.

I have a neighbour who I see scooting along a main road in Auckland, no helmet, no regard for traffic lights, got to be doing at least 30kph. Somehow he manages to get where he's going in one piece.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post

E-bicycles too. I got undertaken by one the other day that must have been going at least 70 km/h in a 50 zone. The rider was wearing a tee-shirt and shorts and no helmet.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

Thread Information