Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: older riders surviving badly

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by wetanz View Post
    . ... finding your limits means pushing boundaries - you fall off, you and your bike get hurt - get up, get back on your horse or go home
    Or die.

Find your limits and fall off on the track by all means. Do it on the road and you are just lining up to be another smear.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Or die.

Find your limits and fall off on the track by all means. Do it on the road and you are just lining up to be another smear.
    Yep Black berry jam, Everywhere!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    It was on the good
    I was trying so hard not to sound like Katman.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Try harder.
    Although He was more of a brown smear.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Well, I got back on the bikes 4 months ago - hadn't ridden in almost 2 years - when the missus got ill and couldn't ride anymore, I wouldn't ride because it would not have been fair to her - riding was a large part of her life and reason for being. After she died end of last year, I decided I needed to do something to stay sane, and remembered what Marion said when her first marriage ended - "fuck the house and property, I got on the bike and rode everywhere, every weekend!" - so I decided it was time to see if I still "had it". A couple of cautious forays down to the local village on the XJR showed me, I was rusty as fuck, but the basic skills and reactions were still there! The main indicator was riding into the office, in the city (I work from home half the time)- 70km of country roads, but 25km of city riding, at school mum delivery time! Two runs in, once on the XJR and once on the FZ1 again pointed to basic skills still there, with a few mollifiers .... reactions a tad slower and balance a tad less stable - at least my depth and width perception was up to par, so lane splitting was still OK..... Four months on riding 3-500km a week, on a mix of bikes (there's also a Suzuki X7 there as well) and my overall skills are only just now starting to come up to expectations of near competency! Still a few quibbles with balance in lane splitting when tired - which is more a threat to SUV mirrors ... but, I think the main thing with riding, at any age, is currency. It's taken me 4 months to come up to a level I'd expect and regain a measure of fluidity - I think if I only rode on the occasional weekend, I'd still be dodgy, so I'll keep riding now as long and as often as possible - maybe downsize to something like a late model VFR800 (looking at a clean 2015 model) - the FZ1 is slightly tall, and I don't have the strength in my legs to catch it if it overbalances - an embarrassing fall over at a gas station showed this. The XJR - a comfy chair and old warhorse that'll always get you home - and fun to lane split on. And I need to watch speeds - the default 130kph I used to run at, doesn't go down well over here. Be able to read the road, read the traffic, over here, be super alert for hoppy things at various times of the day, and - keep riding. I'm 75 now - maybe I'll make 80 ...
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    I'm 75 now - maybe I'll make 80 ...

Good for you! I fully retired from riding at 75 due to a mix of reasons. It was partially because it had all got a bit ho-hum but mainly age-related. I'm on blood thinners because of the occasional bout of AF and bruise really easily. Hated to think of the consequences involved with even a minor drop. My knees were also buggered and ached over a moderate distance plus being a shortarse, holding the bike up whilst stationary if I got on a decent lean could be problematic. However, I had a complete knee replacement last September and I can now do stuff that I haven't been able to do for a while. The other knee is due for replacement later this year. It could be quite tempting to buy a lightweight bike with a low saddle height but with fall-back interests (sea fishing, e-mountain bike and a classic car), I don't really miss riding enough to get something else.

All the best for riding into your 80's and beyond....

Thread Information