Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking a pillion - learning?

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    I use the same procedure for both the wing and the zzr, when ready for the pillion to get on I will have the side stand down, feet planted and legs supporting the bike and front brake held on, I also instruct the pillion to lean on me not the bike. as for riding, they are told on no uncertain terms that there is only one person in control and that's me so they are better off to relax and let me ride, that said, with anyone I haven't pillioned before I am very cautious until I know how they are going to behave. often the worst pillions are those that ride also
    Sorry
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    Sorry
    ahhhh good to see ya back, naa it was just the finger nail gouges in me panniers from having you on the back

actually, you rode surprisingly well on the back given that you ride as well

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    One thing that's extremely important to me when my pillion is mounting my very high fully loaded adventure bike is that I have a grip on both handgrips, as well as feet planted, legs straight supporting the bike upright against the seat with both inner thighs & handlebars held firm & straight.
    The pillion has to mount it like a horse, left foot on left peg, hoist up & swing a leg over the top box.
    Easily done & also easily fucked up if systems & communication aren't followed by both parties.
    Sounds exactly like the procedure for mrs getting on the back of the ducati, once I'm on and have feet planted she gets the thumbs up, although with her being a bit on the shorter side she uses the left front peg as a step up and me for leverage to swing a leg over.

We don't start moving until I've got the thumbs up from her that she's on, is sitting where she want's to be and has feet on the rear pegs, it's not a great feeling having the bike moving around while the pillion is fidgeting about trying to get comfortable while you're getting going.

I guess you know your pillion is reasonably happy with your riding when they go to sleep on the back, and a smack on the back of the helmet lets you know when they're not.....
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    motocompo
    I have the added bonus that my pillion is the perfect size for pretty much everything, including riding pillion.
    Not sure I'd like to have a big bastard try a few things that this one does.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    I guess you know your pillion is reasonably happy with your riding when they go to sleep on the back, and a smack on the back of the helmet lets you know when they're not.....
    Yep, just the same when my wife used to pillion with me. She was the best pillion bar none I've ever had on the bike - hardly knew she was there. She used to get a bit bored though 'cos she couldn't talk to me and hassled me for some comms which was resisted because I didn't want to talk . I got the odd smack on the helmet too but the worst demonstration of her displeasure was coming back from the Paeroa street races one year. A few of us were going to stop at the Okoroire pub for something cold and I'll freely admit the last couple of km was at a "brisk" pace. We got off the bikes in front of the deck already full of bikers and their partners. My wife and a mate's wife launched into us complete with finger wagging. They didn't keep their voices down either. The deck erupted to cheers and applause. Daren't grin as we all know where that would have led so we just looked down and shuffled our feet. Mortifying with all the smartarse remarks from the deck.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yep, just the same when my wife used to pillion with me. She was the best pillion bar none I've ever had on the bike - hardly knew she was there. She used to get a bit bored though 'cos she couldn't talk to me and hassled me for some comms which was resisted because I didn't want to talk . I got the odd smack on the helmet too but the worst demonstration of her displeasure was coming back from the Paeroa street races one year. A few of us were going to stop at the Okoroire pub for something cold and I'll freely admit the last couple of km was at a "brisk" pace. We got off the bikes in front of the deck already full of bikers and their partners. My wife and a mate's wife launched into us complete with finger wagging. They didn't keep their voices down either. The deck erupted to cheers and applause. Daren't grin as we all know where that would have led so we just looked down and shuffled our feet. Mortifying with all the smartarse remarks from the deck.
    I had the opposite problem. Once the better half realised I wasn't a testosterone riddled, look at me, nutter, I gave a shit and could ride smoothly, she started giving me the hurry up.

As our courtship developed and she began to learn the local roads and fun bits I started getting smacks on the helmet to increase the lean angle....

I'm not complaining by any stretch of the imagination, she is a feather weight and makes no difference to how the bike performs. Hang on, braking, that's noticeable, I've been the filling in a tank / girlfriend sandwich a couple of times.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I've been the filling in a tank / girlfriend sandwich a couple of times.
    Butter or marge?

Bike
    Sold
    Hang on, braking, that's noticeable, I've been the filling in a tank / girlfriend sandwich a couple of times.
    Yeah, I'm allergic to crushed nuts too . Bloody hurts, doesn't it?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Butter or marge?
    Looked more like peanut butter.

Yeah, having the boys smacked into the tank does nothing for concentration but is very focusing.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    another good idea is for a first time pillion, pick a nice day, go somewhere nice, say beachlands (cafe on the beach) not too far away & be gentle. a first timer will have no idea of just how fast a bike is compared to a car so as a rider being gentle will feel to them like going as fast as their car can go. (unless they have a fast car or race something)
    SIGN HERE X

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Looked more like peanut butter.

Yeah, having the boys smacked into the tank does nothing for concentration but is very focusing.

No nuts to crush here Oh, except the pillion's, but they're familiar nuts

Pillion will be a first time pillion but not new to biking.

Thread Information