Thread: Extended logging truck = evil beheading machine

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now

Extended logging truck = evil beheading machine

This part of NZ is infested with logging trucks, usually driven "enthusiastically" but reasonably professionally (on the whole) by large smiling gentlemen in something of a hurry to reach the port.

Most trucks pull two articulated trailers, each full of ~6m logs. This isn't about them.

Some carry extra long logs, something like 10 or 12m I guess, with the rear-end supported on an articulated bogey trailer thing with a turntable supporting a cradle holding the logs. That turntable lets the cab pull and turn the rear bogey around corners, while the logs remain straight - handy that ... except if you happen to be passing one in an adjacent lane as it makes a tight turn, for instance at a junction near us. As the truckie makes his turn, the arse end of the logs swing out substantially (maybe 2m?) into the adjacent lane, at about head height. Big heavy aint-even-gonna-flinch logs specifically chosen because of their straightness and length.

So far I have been alert enough to spot the danger ahead of me, slow down and duck at the right moment. I'm always wary of big trucks anyway having seen more than enough close calls.

The problem doesn't appear to be bad driving, overloading or loads extending well beyond the rear bogey: when parked in a straight line (e.g. on the VTNZ truck certification lane or a popo checkpoint), it all fits neatly. The problem is that the turntable is maybe 3 or 4 metres before the end of the bogey and the logs, creating the overhang when turning. It's a fundamental design flaw. The log ends whip out quickly too, so anyone idly riding swiftly past at just the wrong moment doesn't stand a chance.

I've called NZTA about it and will be emailing in a complaint with details, ideally with the number plate of an offending truck doing the circuit near us and maybe if I have time some photos or video at the junction or nearer the port showing the swing action. Meanwhile, if any of youse have seen the same thing, especially if you have dashcam footage and first-hand near-death experiences to relate, please get in touch. The NZTA lady on the phone gave me the strong impression that so long as the trailer was certified, within spec and being loaded & operated correctly, there's nothing wrong here.

Perhaps NZTA really don't like us bikers.

Take care out there. Don't forget: duck the truck.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    We just have the normal, 2 trailer, logging trucks. Lots of them.

Biggest problem is coming around a blind bend to find one stationary, dead ahead, waiting to turn right.

And all the crap that flies off them.

I had no joy with NZTA, although they have put up flashing slow signs on the stretch of road I'm thinking of. No sign to indicate the blind junction, though.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    If what you are saying is true then all road users are at risk and I would find it extremely unlikely that NZTA would not act if it was described to the right person rather than just someone on reception who does not appear to have grasped what you were saying.

We moved some wind turbine blades down here that encroached on to the opposing lanes and needed pilot vehicles and rolling closures.

Get some photos and send them in. Am sure if they land on the right desk action will be taken.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Exactly.

It took half an hour on the phone to get an email address out of them (first hurdle cleared!), so now I can properly explain my concern in writing with diagrams and pics, maybe a short video clip if I'm in the right spot at the right moment.

The complaint needs to get to the right people, presumably engineers within NZTA (2nd hurdle), who will hopefully understand the issue (3rd) and check the relevant laws and regs to see whether it's already covered (4th) ... but after that, who knows?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    You need to get your facts right first if you are going to complain about something.

Firstly... very few logging trucks pull TWO articulated trailers (b-train) Satherlys have one and I think I've seen maybe one other company operating one.
    Most logging trucks are a 6x4 or 8x4 rigid truck towing a Full (official technical term would you believe) trailer that is three to five axle all up with one or two axles on a rotating dolly at the front connecting with a drawbar to truck.
    Some of the Stems units (which is what you are referencing) have same setup with long drawbar while tradition stem unit has set of axles under the rear legs connected by a jinker pole underneath to truck.

I've followed a stems unit up the devils elbow hill at it was quite impressive, occasionally pinging roadside marker plastic posts but nowhere near a 2m projection.
    I think if it was as bads as you say there would be lots of accidents already. Maybe your speed at junctions and road positioning is incorrect for the circumstances.
    Most of these units will have a frangible placard or flag to denote the overhang as per the road code and regualtions, that's your first clue that you need to think a bit before passing.

I'd love to see the video when you get it...
    I still drive trucks occasionally and gone are the days when trucks were polite to each and didn't go side by side through the roundabouts, its prison rules out there now and I haven't seen what you are mentioning. I also take my bike to work in the area you mention and had zero issues....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    I'd love to see the video when you get it...
    Absolutely. My only complaint on the subject is a biker (OP) talking about something he doesn't understand while exaggerating like a trucker...

But it's ok, the whambulance has been sent to The Bay

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Interesting.

Is the issue the truck set-up or the driver and road situation. Presumably a 'safe' driver is making their turn without any visible oncoming traffic of concern, otherwise why are they turning?

If it's a corner of limited visibility then I can see the potential for a problem but then if it is a regular logging turn-off why are there not warning signs and reduced speed limits.

The video would be good as I just cannot see a situation where all are driving well on a suitable road then you'd need to physically duck under a crossing log!

I have recently seen some footage from NZ truck drivers of crazy antics unfolding around them by other road users.

Stay safe for the New Year I say.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    ... The NZTA lady on the phone gave me the strong impression that so long as the trailer was certified, within spec and being loaded & operated correctly, there's nothing wrong here.

Take care out there. Don't forget: duck the truck.
    Any vehicle or machinery not properly operated is dangerous.

Certified as safe for use does not mean it will be used safely ... Photo's and vid's to the appropriate desk.

Talk to Police even ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    I was too busy in December to camp out on the junction, camera in hand, and I doubt the loggers will be working this month, so it'll have to wait until Feb.

No, I'm not a truckie. I'm a biker. That's why I'm here, not on KiwiTrucker.co.nz But I'm willing to learn, oh wise ones.

Thread Information