Thread: Suzuki VL250 Sprockets

Bike
    2007 Suzuki VL250 Intruder

Suzuki VL250 Sprockets

Hello everybody!!

I have a question about the sprockets on my VL250 Intruder.
    The standard is 520-15 on the front and 520-42 on the rear.
    I bought the bike with 520-15 on the front, but a 520-43 on the rear. Obviously somebody was not too impressed with the acceleration and did it for more around town pep.

Coming into summer, I will be doing a few rides from New Plymouth to Auckland and the Coromandel Peninsula - about 5 hours each way to either destination.
    I have ridden at 100km/h quite a few times now and it seems to be revving a little high, so I don't know how it will handle the long rides.

Now to my question - has anybody with a VL250 changed their sprockets to something similar and still ridden long distance fine, or will my engine overheat?

I was thinking about buying either a 520-16 front or 520-40 rear sprocket for long distance riding as I am not too fussed about initial take off/acceleration.
    I could just change to the higher speed sprocket at times when I know I will be doing a lot of long distance riding.

Any input or advice you can impart on me?

Thanks so much everybody!!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post
    Hello everybody!!

I have a question about the sprockets on my VL250 Intruder.
    The standard is 520-15 on the front and 520-42 on the rear.
    I bought the bike with 520-15 on the front, but a 520-43 on the rear. Obviously somebody was not too impressed with the acceleration and did it for more around town pep.

Coming into summer, I will be doing a few rides from New Plymouth to Auckland and the Coromandel Peninsula - about 5 hours each way to either destination.
    I have ridden at 100km/h quite a few times now and it seems to be revving a little high, so I don't know how it will handle the long rides.

Now to my question - has anybody with a VL250 changed their sprockets to something similar and still ridden long distance fine, or will my engine overheat?

I was thinking about buying either a 520-16 front or 520-40 rear sprocket for long distance riding as I am not too fussed about initial take off/acceleration.
    I could just change to the higher speed sprocket at times when I know I will be doing a lot of long distance riding.

Any input or advice you can impart on me?

Thanks so much everybody!!

Wait until you get a bigger bike ... speed and acceleration will come with it. With more rev's comes more horsepower. When you are on a low HP motorcycle ... every little Japanese pony will be worth it's weight in gold.

Change the sprocket(s) and it will ride like a dog. As long as you're not in (or near) the red-line ... enjoy the (dis)pleasures of riding small bikes ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2007 Suzuki VL250 Intruder

Thanks

Great, thanks for that.
    I'll keep it as it is and how for the best on the long rides 😊

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post
    Great, thanks for that.
    I'll keep it as it is and how for the best on the long rides 😊
    If you put taller gearing on it ... take off and acceleration will be slower, not better.

Overheating won't be an issue. Enjoy the rides on YOUR bike.

Keep your mind on what you are doing, and keep looking for things that might kill you.

That means everything on or near the road (ahead and behind) within 50 meters of you.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    motocompo
    I put a 16 on the front of a gsx250 we had a few years ago & it improved it no end.
    Was way too low geared from the factory, first gear was virtually useless & it was revving it's nuts off at 100kmh.
    It won't cost you much to try the 16 tooth.

Thread Information