Thread: Brake Light Modulator

Bike
    imaginary bike

Brake Light Modulator

Does anyone know the law in regards to a Brake Light Modulator? are they legal here? good investment? thanks

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I made inquiries about these maybe five years back - illegal in NZ at that time - no flashing red lights allowed unless you are a emergency vehicle.

I like the idea of them as the longer you have the brake on the faster the light pulses (on the good ones) logically getting the attention of the vehicles behind you.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I looked into this about 6 years ago, and they are not legal in NZ.

Bike
    77 XL250
    There are a couple of options that look good and should pass the 'side of the road' Police test (despite being totally illegal because you could confuse some brain-dead numpty).
    https://www.skenelights.com/online-s...tems-c22720602
    http://www.signaldynamics.com/backoffxp
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I had thought you'd need some way to turn it off for a WoF or if a cop car was following.

Seems unfortunate that they're not legal though.

Bike
    77 XL250
    I did read an advertising blurb from a US company that claimed their system flickered/flashed when in peripheral vision but looked solid when looking directly at it.

It seemed to be in the brains ability to fill in the missing gaps Ala TV, film etc.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    depends on the testing station how excited the tester would get about this....wait....too soon?
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    depends on the testing station how excited the tester would get about this....wait....too soon?
    They are definitely not legal. But if you turn it off, or have one with a deceleration switch, then they won't know.

I would really like to have a brake light modulator. There's only so much you can do to reduce the risk of being hit from behind.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    They are definitely not legal. But if you turn it off, or have one with a deceleration switch, then they won't know.

I would really like to have a brake light modulator. There's only so much you can do to reduce the risk of being hit from behind.
    That would work ... right up to the time you are being followed by a mufti cop. Then ... all bets are off ...

Being hit from behind is not a "Being seen" issue ... but a "Not looking" issue ...

We all have mirrors (well we should have them) ... Better/easier/cheaper to learn to use them ...

But ... if you wear your High-Viz vest ... you wont need a flashing (brake) light to make (??) them see you ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    That would work ... right up to the time you are being followed by a mufti cop. Then ... all bets are off ...

Being hit from behind is not a "Being seen" issue ... but a "Not looking" issue ...

We all have mirrors (well we should have them) ... Better/easier/cheaper to learn to use them ...

But ... if you wear your High-Viz vest ... you wont need a flashing (brake) light to make (??) them see you ...
    Yeah, that could be a problem. But they'd have to see me brake and I don't do that often when cruising on main roads.

I do watch what is behind me. But if you're hard on the brakes, then it is not easy to also watch in the mirrors as well and take avoiding action if necessary.

No, I don't expect the Hi Vis to help!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that could be a problem. But they'd have to see me brake and I don't do that often when cruising on main roads.
    R1's have brakes ... who knew ... ??

But ... You could put on your best look ... and tell the cop your ABS causes it to do that ...

I do watch what is behind me. But if you're hard on the brakes, then it is not easy to also watch in the mirrors as well and take avoiding action if necessary.
    The thing is ... you really DO need to keep one eye on the mirrors ... because if you really need to use the anchors ... you need to know what and where everything (if anything is) is behind you ... If you want easy ... take the bus ...

No, I don't expect the Hi Vis to help!
    But that's what it's for ... isn't it ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information