Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Enfield Interceptor

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    A work colleague and I went along to Red Baron in Lower Hutt today to have a look at the 2 examples of the 650 that they have in at the moment. The Interceptor and GT they had in were both in fairly subdued colours which, to be frank, didn't help their case. I reckon the Burnt Orange colour scheme will make a difference.

On face value they look to be well executed bikes with a decent standard of finishing. The engine casings for example look to be good with no obvious cost cutting going on. However the seat units on both appeared to be quite flimsy and are evidence of where costs have been cut.

This is of course no great surprise - Indeed many people will replace the sets units anyway so I can see the logic. I was left with the impression that RE have spent the R+D money where it's most needed and the bits that aren't as flash will be ripe for personalisation.

Interestingly there was a 2016 Triumph Street Twin in the store too. It had low mileage on it (Less than 3000Km I think) and was in excellent condition. It was priced at $12500 I think and poses a difficult question of anyone contemplating paying the $10500 or so for a new Interceptor.

Personally on the evidence of what I saw I'd need a proper test ride on both before deciding but I guess that the very fact there's a choice to be made speaks volumes for the RE's cause. I'll be interested to see what the press here in NZ make of it.

Anyone on KB managed to ride one yet?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I spied the GT at the local dealer this morning. I actually looks very tidy. I prefer the engine design to the Bonnie from a physical point as it appears smaller and skinnier than the Triumph lump (no actual measurements taken).

I hope they do well, we are already starting to see the RE650 being used as a base for custom bikes on the interweb.

Ironically the best looking of the retro engines of this configuration is/was the Kawasaki w650/800 series.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Ironically the best looking of the retro engines of this configuration is/was the Kawasaki w650/800 series.
    Plus you got bevel gear drive cam in the Kawasaki
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Plus you got bevel gear drive cam in the Kawasaki
    I know - cooler than cool stuff. The aftermarket can supply a small cover with a glass window in it to view the bevel goodness in operation.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    One of the first ride videos.
    Probably fells like when the Z1 Kawasaki arrived on the scene.
    Some pretty keen riding on the motorway.

[video=youtube;video]
    Lol, the guys narrative sounded like an auction!
    also, he seeemed to be going on and on about the fuel consumption?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I wonder if they will still be selling the 500 as the price gap is not huge.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...cbe417dbda087a
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I wonder if they will still be selling the 500 as the price gap is not huge.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...cbe417dbda087a
    Mmm... Good question. I wouldn't pay that for a 500 Bullet if I'm honest. Not when the Himalayan costs less and arguably more useful.

I hope the 650 models sell in sufficient numbers for them to keep bringing them here.

Bike
    2008 ducati 848
    nearly went with the 535 single continental , just you could get a lot more for the price , which I think I didhttps://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...2d4065f6dc4b74
    to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid
    I do have a purpose in life , Even if it is as a warning to others

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by tanken2 View Post
    nearly went with the 535 single continental , just you could get a lot more for the price , which I think I didhttps://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...2d4065f6dc4b74
    With RE, perhaps more than any other manufacturer, the price point is going to be crucial. The 650s are at a good price point IMHO and they should, from what I've read thus far, compete well with bikes at the same price level. I guess it all depends on where you're coming from. A liquid-cooled Bonneville rider isn't likely to be that moved but coming from a LAMS 250 you'll be more easily swayed.

I hope it does well for them. Now a 650-powered Himalayan??? That'd be interesting!

Bike
    01 Guzzi Jackal

New Interceptor

Hi all, just found this post ,bit old but thought I would answer in case anyone is considering a new 650 Enfield. I’ve been a rider for close to 40 yrs now and have got to a stage where I don’t need a big bike anymore and took an Interceptor and a Continental for test ride. I now own an Interceptor ,same colour as the first post.
    I feel like I’ve done a full circle back to my first bike but a very refined version.
    Was a bit dubious at first ,being Indian made, quality issues etc. but RE have really upped their game on this. Here’s what I can tell you..
    The motor is a new, for Enfield, design. 6 speed , 270*crank ,air/oil cooled ,overhead cam 4 valves per cylinder with a nice touch of modern stuff.. EFI that is perfectly mapped and is self learning if you change mufflers,intake. ABS and slipper clutch. The motor is smooth,very smooth. Hums along at 100k with plenty in reserve when you need it. Which is much as I want to do now. Funny, the day I picked the bike up I was heading back to my boatshed just feeling it out and suddenly a siren,stop ,get off the bike and say “Fuck..I’ve only had the bike 10 minutes, sorry about that” . He says I was doing 77 in a 50k zone,goes and sits in the car with my licence to check me out, I’m wondering if there’s any unpaid fines. He comes back ,hands me my licence and says “In the spirit of Christmas watch your speed” No ticket. Thank you.
    Back to the bike,the finish is great ,the welds superb ,I can’t fault it and I’m loving riding it around the back roads here (Whangarei). And it looks like a motorbike. Have had a lot of positive comments about it and my partner likes it,which is a bonus.
    I’ve only had it 10 days so it’s still early. Dropped the running in oil at 500k have done 1200 now.
    Full price with orc was 10,879. My first new bike.
    Feel free with any questions.
    Cheers

Here’s my list of previous bikes,in order,you can throw a couple of scooters and a few dirt bikes in there.
    ‘64 BSA A65
    ‘78 Laverda Jota 1000
    ‘76 Laverda SF3 750
    ‘96 Cagiva Elefant 900
    ‘06 Buell XB12S
    ‘85 BMW R65
    ‘96 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
    ‘80 Moto Morini Sport 500
    ‘01 Moto Guzzi Jackal 1100

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Congratulations on the new purchase. They are indeed a nice bike and they'll hopefully keep RE in the hunt sales-wise. If you can please post some pictures so we can see what you've bought.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Good to hear.Do keep us updated. If I hadn't gotten my CB550/4 back on the road these and the W650/800 were bikes I would've concidered purchasing.

Bike
    01 Guzzi Jackal

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Congratulations on the new purchase. They are indeed a nice bike and they'll hopefully keep RE in the hunt sales-wise. If you can please post some pictures so we can see what you've bought.
    Here’s a couple of pics from yesterday. Just gave it a going over with SealX
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD94F934-ACE0-4F8E-8510-176382369155.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	895.9 KB 
ID:	344054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8122CD0B-E574-45A6-94DA-FA5EB7CD58C2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	847.2 KB 
ID:	344055  

Bike
    01 Guzzi Jackal
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Its the price leader in that segment for sure. Triumph Street Twin is half as much again, Yamaha SR400 is cheaper but soooooo slooooooow.

For $10500 why not buy an actual old bike for the full experience?
    I `ear ya `enry but it’s a nicer bike,hopefully reliable, and brand spankin` new. My first bike was a 650 BSA, we used to joke it stood for Bring Spanner’s Along. A mixed bag at that, Whitworth,BSF etc.
    I’m thinking of mounting a Scottoiler under the sump so when I want the “full experience” I can turn it on ,ride around for a bit and park on friends driveways.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Kawl. Just curious have you figured out the fuel range yet? Be interesting to compare with similar specced bikes old and new.

Didn't take long for perf kits to come out, https://www.sscycle.com/feature/roya...ield-650-twins If it can take those kits without much/any bottem end work means it's over engineered down below, which is good.

A nice road test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHfJQMRuqY Looks like if you are a tallerfrider a bit more seat hight is the go.

Thread Information